Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-24: Brewers (Davies) at Royals (Kennedy) 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-2; Thames injures thumb]

Eye Black
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Counsell screws Jeffress out of the save, c'mon man, haha.

I don't believe you need a full inning to get a save.

Nope, still a save if he finishes it.

No it is not. If you do not complete a full inning you must come in with the potential tying run on base, at bat or on deck. That criteria was not met.

My guess is we see Barnes in to start the 8th, then bring in Hader whenever it gets to Duda, be that in the 8th or the 9th.

I don't expect to see Hader tonight. Maybe if they get in big trouble and the game is in the balance but otherwise he pitched an inning on Saturday and 2 on Sunday and with a 3 run lead I think they'd like to get him more than one day off.

I agree that Counsell would obviously would prefer not to have to use him, but it's a save situation right now with two lefties coming up in the 9th inning. Hader is clearly the best option to pitch the 9th.

I'm fine with whatever he chooses (assuming it'll be Barnes but maybe Jeffress if not Hader?), I can really see it going either way. It's entirely possible Hader is off limits tonight no matter what.

Hopefully the Crew can add another couple here and make it an easier decision (although anybody got eyes on the bullpen?)

I agree Hader was the best option, but he is always our best 9th inning option. I'm glad Counsell played it the way he did and didn't worry about the 'save' (despite my joke about Jeffress getting screwed). I don't think a 3 out lead should necessarily be treated as a high leverage situation despite the fact that it is technically a save situation.

Anyone in this pen should be able to complete a 3 run, 1 inning save.

Anyone in this pen should be able to complete a 3 run, 1 inning save.

I am happy Oliver Drake didn't get the opportunity to hand you his beer.

Lol, touche. I probably should have excluded him but I was feeling generous.

Craig Counsell confirms there is “some concern regarding Eric Thames thumb injury”. He said it is a ligament issue on his glove hand, but didn’t elaborate other than repeating there is “some concern”.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Craig Counsell confirms there is “some concern regarding Eric Thames thumb injury”. He said it is a ligament issue on his glove hand, but didn’t elaborate other than repeating there is “some concern”.

I think that's going to be a relatively serious issue actually. Hand injuries are so tricky in baseball. Hopefully I'm wrong.

On a side, fox sports did a fantastic tribute to Davey nelson post game. Hopefully some others caught it.

Archived