6. J.B. Shuck (L) RF 6. Hernan Perez ® 2B

7. Lewis Brinson ® CF 7. Eric Sogard (L) SS

8. Yadiel Rivera ® SS 8. Jacob Nottingham ® C

9. Caleb Smith ® P 9. Junior Guerra ® P[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Marlins starting pitcher, LHP Caleb Smith, has some loose Brewers ties. Smith was taken by the Brewers in the 2016 Rule 5 draft and then traded to the Cubs. He was ultimately returned to the Yankees. He pitched in nine games for the Yankees last season including two starts. This past offseason he was traded to the Marlins along with Garrett Cooper in exchange for RHP Michael King and international bonus pool money.

Smith still has prospect eligibility. In the Baseball America Prospect Handbook he was listed as a relief pitcher and did not rank within the Marlins top 30 prospects.

While the sample size is relatively small, left handed batters have had success against Smith. Here are his splits versus RHB and LHB...

HhNCGGW.jpg

I hate to say it but I hope either Sogard gets hot and start producing well or he flat out sucks so they cut bait and move on from him so we stop forcing him into the lineup. Personally I think it will the latter that occurs.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I hate to say it but I hope either Sogard gets hot and start producing well or he flat out sucks so they cut bait and move on from him so we stop forcing him into the lineup. Personally I think it will the latter that occurs.

I just don't understand all of the Sogard hate. He was a .393 obp guy with good defense in 299 PA last year. That's a 1.9 bWAR player in half a full seasons worth of PAs. And I'm not trying to single out you, it seems to be a lot of people around here. I'm willing to give him some more time.

What I am concerned with is Santana, after a terrible spring, he has one XBH on the season and doesn't seem to be a regular starter now that we're back at full strength. Is this how it's gonna be for him? Basically a bench bat for the season?

I just don't understand all of the Sogard hate. He was a .393 obp guy with good defense in 299 PA last year. That's a 1.9 bWAR player in half a full seasons worth of PAs. And I'm not trying to single out you, it seems to be a lot of people around here. I'm willing to give him some more time.

I definitely don't hate the man. He seems like a good clubhouse guy that works hard. But the writing was on the wall with this guy. His hot month during mid-season last year fooled some into thinking he was a good player or even a passable one. He should have never received the contract that he did (kudos to his agent). It wouldn't shock me to see this guy in the low .600's for an OPS and the low .300's for an OBP. My other issue is that as long as Counsell has this guy, he will be overplayed.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Starting Sogard against a LHP is just unfathomable. You take the one guy who should basically never be in the lineup and somehow make him even weaker. Think Craig was thinking a little more with his heart than his head when he penciled him in today. Today isn't a day for Villar to be off.

Now obviously, hope he proves me wrong and goes 3 for 4.

What I am concerned with is Santana, after a terrible spring, he has one XBH on the season and doesn't seem to be a regular starter now that we're back at full strength. Is this how it's gonna be for him? Basically a bench bat for the season?

Take one crazy month out of his stats and see where they are. He was terrible outside of that month. He plays decent defense but to expect any production from him offensively is grasping at strings.

Edit: One reason I tolerate Villar more is upside. He may find that speed power combo. Sogards upside is so blah. He will never hit for power or steal bases consistently. He is just limited in tools. He has to be a OBP monster just to be sort of relevant.

Starting Sogard against a LHP is just unfathomable. You take the one guy who should basically never be in the lineup and somehow make him even weaker. Think Craig was thinking a little more with his heart than his head when he penciled him in today. Today isn't a day for Villar to be off.

Now obviously, hope he proves me wrong and goes 3 for 4.

Probably only cares about the defense he brings for today, but also the starter does seem to have reverse splits as noted above.

Are we certain that Sogard is better defensively at SS than Perez or even Villar? Is his roster spot more valuable than bringing up Dubon to play elite defensive SS?

Asking sincerely because I'm not certain.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Range and arm are just blah with Sogard. He does make the routine plays though.

I am really hoping that Arcia can return by Tuesday night’s game otherwise we should have recalled Dubon and put him on the ten day DL. Not a knock on Sogard but his best value to us comes as a guy who can put up a decent at bat off the bench... not as a starter for more than a game or two

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Per Rosiak Guerra was hitting 95mph last inning.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Take one crazy month out of his stats and see where they are. He was terrible outside of that month. He plays decent defense but to expect any production from him offensively is grasping at strings.

Edit: One reason I tolerate Villar more is upside. He may find that speed power combo. Sogards upside is so blah. He will never hit for power or steal bases consistently. He is just limited in tools. He has to be a OBP monster just to be sort of relevant.

Sogard’s OBP since July of last season is just .309 with only 8 extra base hits and 0 home runs (over 188 plate appearances). That includes last night’s “double” that should have been an error.

Edit: And does not include the strikeout he just recorded.

Yelich still owes us a couple more since Brinson hit so many.

Um. Is that seriously a catch in baseball? Have it in your glove for a split second, juggle it around and drop it = catch?

Maybe my mind has just been too conditioned by football, but in no way did that look like a catch to me.

[sarcasm]yeah, wheres the football move![/sarcasm] Though seriously, it did look like he lost it in the transfer.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived