Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Saladino a Brewer [7/5 -- back from injury & in the starting lineup]

JohnBriggs12
Arcia might suck but Sogard sucks even harder.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Arcia hadn't sucked at the plate, then Sogard would have seen less time, and the transactions would've been limited to swapping the 25th man (not counting all of the OF transactions of course) rather than having 5 or 6 different guys play SS already this year. Even hitting to the tune of .230/.260/.330 or something like that would probably have been enough for Arcia to have been locked into the lineup for 140+ games at SS, though it would have still been disappointing after his year last year.

Saladino with a double and a walk for Colorado Springs tonight. Get him to Milwaukee now. Move Miller to second. Cain comes off the DL Wednesday. Yelich gets healthy. Broxton becomes the 4th OF / defensive replacement. Bring up Lopez for Zagurski. Now we've got a quality roster.

Saladino with a double and a walk for Colorado Springs tonight. Get him to Milwaukee now. Move Miller to second. Cain comes off the DL Wednesday. Yelich gets healthy. Broxton becomes the 4th OF / defensive replacement. Bring up Lopez for Zagurski. Now we've got a quality roster.

Saladino in, Sogard out.

Cain back active, Orf back down.

Then you roll with a quasi platoon of Miller and Villar at 2nd, and also Saladino with a sprinkling of Miller at SS depending on pitching matchups - I guess keep Perez around for comic relief and a IF/OF reserve role.

pitching-wise I almost don't care who it is as long as Zagurski heads out.

Babying Villar has to end. Some team will let the reigns off and he will shine.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Villar cannot play 3B...that was a terrible experiment when it happened.

Of course he can. Aguilar played 3B and the world didn't come to an end. Thames plays in the OF, Miller plays SS, I can go on and on.

Aguilar played 7.1 innings, not sure how that is comparable.

It isn’t hard to hide someone in the OF and have them be...good enough. Eric Thames is awful out there though and it only should be done in an absolute emergency for the offense.

Jonathan Villar has hit LHP well this year and in 2016, but is that really worth defense that sports a fielding % far below .900? I don’t even know why you’d bring this up. They wouldn’t put him at SS when Arcia was hitting like a pitcher, no way in a million years will he see time at 3B.

Your examples aren’t even remotely close to comparable. All they do is prove how much worse Villar is at 3B than what are already considered tragic liabilities at their respective positions.

Villar cannot play 3B...that was a terrible experiment when it happened.

Of course he can. Aguilar played 3B and the world didn't come to an end. Thames plays in the OF, Miller plays SS, I can go on and on.

Aguilar played 7.1 innings, not sure how that is comparable.

It isn’t hard to hide someone in the OF and have them be...good enough. Eric Thames is awful out there though and it only should be done in an absolute emergency for the offense.

Jonathan Villar has hit LHP well this year and in 2016, but is that really worth defense that sports a fielding % far below .900? I don’t even know why you’d bring this up. They wouldn’t put him at SS when Arcia was hitting like a pitcher, no way in a million years will he see time at 3B.

Your examples aren’t even remotely close to comparable. All they do is prove how much worse Villar is at 3B than what are already considered tragic liabilities at their respective positions.

My examples are fine. They didn't put Villar at SS because that's a position where you try not to skimp on defense. And they wanted to give Arcia every chance to get his swing back. Even at that, they've played some marginal guys there this year (Sogard, Miller.) Proving my point even further they are willing to sacrifice some defense in search of a hot bat.

You say Thames should only be used as an emergency in the OF, yet he has and will be used out there more often until Cain/Yelich return. It's not an emergency, they have other OFs they could have used but once again the bat plays.

I don't think it's crazy, you do, sobeit.

Edit: Here's the reason you may see Villar play a few games at 3B:

vs LHP:

Villar: .886

Shaw: .529

It's also why we may even see Aguilar again at 3B when Cain/Shaw return.

Babying? He’s been well below average the last 2 years. Maybe he just shouldn’t play a lot because he isn’t very good

Yea it's not like we're talking about Villar being an everyday 3B. If matchups workout and Shaw needs an off day vs a lefty you can toss him in there for a day or two per month and it's fine.

Let's say Shaw got hurt though, what options do they have for 'everyday' other than Perez? That's a bit of a scary thought

Babying? He’s been well below average the last 2 years. Maybe he just shouldn’t play a lot because he isn’t very good

We shall see when he gets to a new organization.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yea it's not like we're talking about Villar being an everyday 3B. If matchups workout and Shaw needs an off day vs a lefty you can toss him in there for a day or two per month and it's fine.

Let's say Shaw got hurt though, what options do they have for 'everyday' other than Perez? That's a bit of a scary thought

Orf can play there adequately. Saladino could as well. They have Dylan Moore in AAA as well.

He’s also had almost 700 plate appearances while playing poorly the last 2 years. Opportunity to play isn’t the issue either

He’s also had almost 700 plate appearances while playing poorly the last 2 years. Opportunity to play isn’t the issue either

Tell that to Segura and Gennett.

Scooter had 542 his last year with the Brewers. segura had more than that in each of his 3 full seasons with them. They’d be evidence of change of scenery, not just let play even if they’re not good

Orf can play there adequately. Saladino could as well. They have Dylan Moore in AAA as well.

That’s not just a bit of a scary thought...it’s terrifing. Yikes.

Scooter had 542 his last year with the Brewers. segura had more than that in each of his 3 full seasons with them. They’d be evidence of change of scenery, not just let play even if they’re not good

Change of scenery is a bit part of what I was referring to. After a great 2016 season the Brewers jacked around Villar for an unproven prospect who didn’t belong getting a call up (being more proven this year). Confidence is a huge part of these guys success and the Brewers squashed that with Villar. I’m hoping for a fresh start with a different fan base, coaching staff and front office for Villar.

After a great 2016 season the Brewers jacked around Villar for an unproven prospect who didn’t belong getting a call up

What do you mean? Villar was the full time 2B for quite a long while to start off in 2017. He was bad. Got more chances later in the year, a little better. Then started 2018 as the full time 2B, basically.

He can turn it around here or somewhere else, no question. It's just the "lack of opportunity" part of your argument that falls a little flat.

Confidence is a huge part of these guys success and the Brewers squashed that with Villar.

First, Villar has been given quite a long leash the last couple seasons. But either way, if his confidence is shattered in some way that's not a very good trait for a professional athlete.

Someone show me where I said a lack of opportunity for Villar? They jacked him around for no reason other than to rush a prospect (that wasn’t/isn’t ready). The fan base has been an absolute joke towards him, probably doesn’t help a player either. Changing positions can be hard on guys too. And confidence can be shot in any athlete. We are all human, even pro athletes. I’m just hoping he gets a shot elsewhere for his sake.

Someone show me where I said a lack of opportunity for Villar? They jacked him around for no reason other than to rush a prospect. The fan base has been an absolute joke towards him, probably doesn’t help a player either. And confidence can be shot in any athlete. We are all human, even pro athletes. I’m just hoping he gets a shot elsewhere for his sake.

You keep saying that. What prospect are you talking about??? Villar started at 2B in 2017, stared 2B in 2018. What prospect bumped him from 2B in the past? Sogard?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Someone show me where I said a lack of opportunity for Villar? They jacked him around for no reason other than to rush a prospect. The fan base has been an absolute joke towards him, probably doesn’t help a player either. And confidence can be shot in any athlete. We are all human, even pro athletes. I’m just hoping he gets a shot elsewhere for his sake.

You keep saying that. What prospect are you talking about??? Villar started at 2B in 2017, stared 2B in 2018. What prospect bumped him from 2B in the past? Sogard?

He means shifted him to 2B to make room for Arcia. But I have a feeling you know that.

Orland Arcia bumped him.

Orland Arcia bumped him.

Are you suggesting that Villar's confidence may have been shattered by moving him from SS to full time starter at 2B?

Archived