Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Saladino a Brewer [7/5 -- back from injury & in the starting lineup]

JohnBriggs12
Deeper meaning? I'll give you deeper meaning. They are trying like heck to unload Santana. Perez is a nice 5th outfielder.

Perez is a nice reserve infielder, but not a nice 5th outfielder. This team needs Santana. This team should be looking to add offense, not trade it. The only way you trade Santana is in a package for an even better OF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deeper meaning? I'll give you deeper meaning. They are trying like heck to unload Santana. Perez is a nice 5th outfielder.

Perez is a nice reserve infielder, but not a nice 5th outfielder. This team needs Santana. This team should be looking to add offense, not trade it. The only way you trade Santana is in a package for an even better OF.

I agree with you that Perez is a mediocre at best 5th OF, but that doesn't mean that any trade of Santana would need to be for OF. The team would clearly welcome an upgrade at 2b, C or SP if such a player came available in a Santana deal.

In 2017, Domingo Santana opened the first month of the season hitting 0.197 - he hit 5 dingers and 4 doubles that month, but had a 0.191 BABIP. Others have noted that he's seemingly hit more balls on the ground to open 2018, resulting in an average BABIP (~0.333), but basically zero power numbers.

He is still drawing walks and he's always struck out alot - so his approach at the plate hasn't really changed where it's obvious that he's pressing. He'll break out of this and revert to being a positive offensive player for this team before too long.

And Perez is not a nice 5th OF when the 40 man roster already includes Braun, Yelich, Cain, Santana, Broxton, Phillips. He's a nice 7th OF option that happens to also play backup IF positions slightly below average defensively. Perez's versatility is what is keeping him in Milwaukee.

He is still drawing walks and he's always struck out alot - so his approach at the plate hasn't really changed where it's obvious that he's pressing. He'll break out of this and revert to being a positive offensive player for this team before too long.

And Perez is not a nice 5th OF when the 40 man roster already includes Braun, Yelich, Cain, Santana, Broxton, Phillips. He's a nice 7th OF option that happens to also play backup IF positions slightly below average defensively. Perez's versatility is what is keeping him in Milwaukee.

He could very well break out of this, and I certainly hope he does, but I don't think it's a given. I've long (Well, since maybe the halfway point last year, so not *that* long I suppose) held the belief that 2017 Santana was peak Santana. Which isn't a knock on him, if he could reliable be a 2.5-3 WAR player that's very valuable. But I've also worried that even with the same approach, doing the exact same thing, he'd have worse results. Which seems to be true for plate discipline, which is mostly similar; Though he's getting fewer pitches in the zone (From 44% to 39%), swinging at more pitches outside the zone (27% to 32%) and making less contact overall on his swings (70% vs 67%). Who knows though, maybe this is impacted by the repertoire of pitchers faced so far this early in the season.

What is different though is the batted ball profile. Line Drive % is down 10% mostly at the cost of more ground balls, while pull % is down 10% entirely at the cost of Opposite field %. More ground balls, and more pulled balls should be a recipe for a lower .BABIP, and it is lower compared to career numbers indeed. And according to Statcast, batting average should be even lower. The good news though is that Statcast is predicting more XBH, so at least there's that. What would be interesting though, and I don't know how to find that, is to see what types of batted balls are hit to what part of the field. Pulling grounders isn't good, but pulling fly balls can be.

Now let's hope this is all just early season noise and he'll get back to 2017 form.

• 1 month later...

I totally forgot Nick Franklin is on the 10 day DL also. I don't know why he isn't on the 60.

Not that an injury is ever a lucky break, but you go from a non roster, AA ball guy one day, somehow get a call up and get hurt the second you step out there, then end up with an MLB salary and benefits indefinitely.

Tough break for him and the Brewers. He's already missed two weeks, have to wonder if he is a candidate for the 60-day DL if the Brewers find they need another spot on the 40-man roster.

Yea, Saladino gets a shot at taking over the everyday SS spot on a contender and he badly twists his ankle on a fluke play.

I totally forgot Nick Franklin is on the 10 day DL also. I don't know why he isn't on the 60.

Not that an injury is ever a lucky break, but you go from a non roster, AA ball guy one day, somehow get a call up and get hurt the second you step out there, then end up with an MLB salary and benefits indefinitely.

You answered your own question. No reason to lock in the higher cost for 60 days until you absolutely need someone on the 40 man roster. {Also the Brewers don't want to put anyone new on the 40 man until they have to}

I assume he will be labeled "healthy" and put back on a minor league roster pretty soon.

You answered your own question. No reason to lock in the higher cost for 60 days until you absolutely need someone on the 40 man roster. {Also the Brewers don't want to put anyone new on the 40 man until they have to}

I assume he will be labeled "healthy" and put back on a minor league roster pretty soon.

I'd rather he just got DFA'd when healthy...

I'd rather he just got DFA'd when healthy...

I think that's more likely. No reason for him to occupy a 40 man spot.

Saladino is nearing a rehab assignment.

Thank god

How is his guy THaT much better than what we have? Glad he's coming back, I guess, but isn't he a combo of players we have?

By your posts, you act like there is a large gulf in difference between Sogard and Saladino, rather than a small stream. Sogard? Get rid of him. Saladino? So glad he is coming back on the team.

Saladino is at least a good shortstop. Sogard stinks with that noodle arm three hoppin it to first base.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Saladino is at least a good shortstop. Sogard stinks with that noodle arm three hoppin it to first base.

Well, that is somewhat true lately... Sogard had a pretty lousy game there last week, skipping a couple. Aguilar made a couple nice plays.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thank god

How is his guy THaT much better than what we have? Glad he's coming back, I guess, but isn't he a combo of players we have?

By your posts, you act like there is a large gulf in difference between Sogard and Saladino, rather than a small stream. Sogard? Get rid of him. Saladino? So glad he is coming back on the team.

I don't understand your affinity for Sogard. He is not good. He had a little lightning in a bottle last year, but other than that, he has been a poor MLB player his whole career.

Thank god

I believe he’s a better defender than Sogard. And I think the gap lies in Saladino having more than double the OPS of Sogard. So yes hallelujah Saladino is close cause hopefully that means Sogard will be gone.

Saladino had a .484 OPS in 281 PA last year. Yes he's had a nice start to his career in a Brewer uniform, but the reality is that he's a RH version of Sogard. Saladino's career: .236/.284/.359, .627 OPS. Sogard career: .239/.309/.315. .625 OPS

They're the same guy.

Verified Member
I understand that if you gave them both 1000 PA, the projections systems wouldn't forecast Saladino and Sogard to be that different (though I think Saladino is still comfortably better), but even assuming they are similar players you have to take into account how they are performing this season. Saladino has looked very solid, Sogard has looked completely lost by any measure. It's not a difficult choice.

I understand that if you gave them both 1000 PA, the projections systems wouldn't forecast Saladino and Sogard to be that different (though I think Saladino is still comfortably better), but even assuming they are similar players you have to take into account how they are performing this season. Saladino has looked very solid, Sogard has looked completely lost by any measure. It's not a difficult choice.

We are not even talking about half a season! How many Brewer ABs does Saladino have? A whopping 37! Yet this guy who the wonderful White Sox let go gets unreasonable praise nods and a guy who played quite a bit for us last season with 299 plate appearances, an elite 397 OBP, and more impressively, more BBs than Ks, is trash? Incomparable? Please.

Saladino might end up being a flash in the pan too, but he's 4 years younger than Sogard, is a proven much better defender than Sogard, and unlike Sogard, can hit a baseball more than 300 feet.

Not a difficult choice.

Saladino is the superior defender at 2B, SS, and 3B compared to Sogard.

Since Sogard doesn't even have a pitcher's ability to hit this season, any offensive comparison between the two is a waste of time. In my perfect world for rest of the 2018 season, Saladino comes back healthy right around the time the Brewers acquire Machado. Saladino slides into the roles currently manned by both Perez and Sogard (utility IF / backup 3B), and Sogard is finally put out of his misery. Then you probably send Arcia down to AAA and keep Perez around as the team's funky haircut and super utility guy that can still get a decent amount of starts to spell regulars if he keeps hitting.

Archived