Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Saladino a Brewer [7/5 -- back from injury & in the starting lineup]

JohnBriggs12
Can't believe it hasn't been posted yet but Brewers acquired utility infielder Tyler Saladino from the White Sox for cash and designated Alec Asher who they had claimed a couple days ago. I assume Saladino will be optioned but haven't seen that. Have to wonder if another move is coming. Saladino is a superb defensive player.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he was sent to AAA

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I have limited knowledge on the guy but feel like he is the right handed version of Eric Sogard with a bit more position versatility and better defense.

In theory, he eliminates the need for both Sogard and Perez on the roster. Keep Aguilar's bat for good, bring up Saladini for defensive reasons... you can cut ties with the other two and being up another reliever.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think there is any chance they dump Perez. Counsell and Stearns value versatility, and that is what Perez is. Plus his bat is better than Saladino.

If I were Sogard, I'd be looking over my shoulder, though. He's inching quite close to the end of the 25-man with every pop-up and weak grounder.

I'm not a big Sogard fan, don't get me wrong. But he did just miss two HRs that were like a foot or two foul. If those are fair, his OPS would take a huge jump this early in the season. Not saying that's a reason to keep him on the roster all year, just something to keep in mind when evaluating what he has done (or not done) so far this season.

I don't think either Perez or Sogard is in trouble. I believe this was a straight depth move. If either of those two gets an injury, now they have this guy to bring up and cover them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I also don't think Perez or Sogard is in trouble, but there is no question that the Brewer's backup infielders aren't even meeting the low offensive expectations that Stearns probably had for them. With Arcia also struggling and Villar still somewhat of a question mark, Stearns would be wise to start lining up insurance policies. With the additions of Blanco and Saladino, it seems pretty clear that the Brewers either don't think Dubon is an MLB player OR they just don't feel that Dubon is ready for a MLB utility role. But I'd guess if we get past game 60, and Perez is OPS'ing .588 and Sogard is OPS'ing .437, then a move might need to be made at that time. I'd guess Sogard would be the odds on favorite to be the guy who is out, Blanco gets added to the 25 man roster and Saladino then becomes the top middle infield insurance policy.

I'm not a very big fan of Blanco, and there is no question he was horrible with the bat last year, but from 2014-2016 he slashed .274/.337/.457/.795. Granted he's in a hitter's paradise, but if he keep hitting in AAA would it be crazy to think he might post something like .250/.310/.380/.690 in the big leagues? That slash line isn't real pretty but Perez has a career .669 OPS and Sogard sits at .633.

Like I posted in the 40 man thread, Stearns love of these types of guys is getting a little annoying.

I guess I don't know what type of player you would want him to target? I mean, he has targeted a lot of different kinds of players during his short run and seems to want to include a few guys that provide defense in a lot of areas so you have coverage. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not like there are just guys on the streets that are hitting .300 everywhere they go.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I have a difficult time imaging getting worked up whatsoever about trading nothing for Tyler Saladino.

Agreed. Not every move has some larger, deeper meaning. Stearns has and will try to improve the roster from 1-40 and beyond. I think we also forget that it's important to have solid players in AAA surrounding the "true" prospects. Having good defensive players on the field helps a bunch when you're trying to develop pitchers.

I have a difficult time imaging getting worked up whatsoever about trading nothing for Tyler Saladino.

If Vogt gets back healthy and provides another LH bench bat on games when he's not catching, I kind of like the idea of having Saladino replacing Sogard on the MLB roster if Sogard continues to hit poorly as the season wears on...Saladino is a better version of Sogard as a defender with comparable 'meh' offense for a utility infielder - biggest difference is he hits right handed and Sogard hits left.

For now it's nice having options like that already within the organization rather than having to grasp at straws after an injury or performance at the MLB forces the issue.

Like I posted in the 40 man thread, Stearns love of these types of guys is getting a little annoying.

I guess I don't know what type of player you would want him to target? I mean, he has targeted a lot of different kinds of players during his short run and seems to want to include a few guys that provide defense in a lot of areas so you have coverage. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not like there are just guys on the streets that are hitting .300 everywhere they go.

Both Stearns and Counsell have stated a preference for players with defensive versatility. Those guys are great to have. But over his tenure, having seen him bring in lots of guys who play multiple positions but have well below even passable bats just seems pointless. It totally negates any defensive/positional flexibility value they have if they're turds at the plate. And I totally get that Saladino is probably the first guy to go if they need a 40 man spot but maybe try to diversify your talent base a little.

Yeah, I don't really get it. There's already a million jack of all trades, crappy hitting utility types on the 25, the 40, and in the farm. Perez and Sogard are on the 25. Dubon is on the 40, I would rather see him up if either of them got hurt. If they need to go deeper than that Nick Franklin is still hanging around in Biloxi. It seems like they are going a little overboard with mediocre players who can play anywhere. They have enough.

I'd rather look for a guy with the last spot or two on the 40 that maybe isn't so versatile but can do one thing really well and help us with what they do well and be more than just injury insurance. Like Aguilar.

Or if you insist on versatility try someone like Nick Ramirez who can hit and pitch. It seems like they prefer to acquire outside the organization for the last guy or two on the 40. Maybe so they can just check them out and not feel like they've lost anything when they throw them right back in the trash pile.

We may see him up sooner rather than later, unfortunately.

I would sure as heck hope Dubon is ahead of Saladino on the call-up pecking order.

Me too. We already have 2 better versions of Saladino on the roster without adding a 3rd.

I really hope they give Dubon a shot if Arcia goes on the DL. I am not super high on him but he is an excellent defensive shortstop. There is a chance he could come in and pretty much seamlessly cover short, and it's not like he has to hit much to match what Arcia was doing.

Unfortunately I'm afraid even if they promote him he will ride the bench for Sogard or Perez most days.

I wonder about this move. Is it just taking a flyer on a guy? Or can we contextualize it? I believe Saladino is a better defender than Sogard or Perez, and maybe significantly so. With so much outfield depth I just gotta believe this is aimed squarely at the infield. If Sogard isn’t going to hit, which I can’t imagine he will, maybe he’s getting a last chance. I wouldn’t believe it if the defense hadn’t been so brutal so far. Or maybe it’s a depth thing. It’s easy to see Sogard getting hurt and then this makes perfect sense.

At the risk of sounding like a tinfoil hat guy, how quickly they moved to sign Sogard in the off-season makes me think he a guy Counsell wanted.

That doesn't mean he's completely safe. But I think he'll have a fairly long leash. Since he can't be sent down, any move to get him off the roster is permanent. So they'll try to avoid losing the infield depth and eating the money if they can help it.

Now if it gets to be June and Sogard is still OPSing under. 500, maybe they'll think about moving on. But until then, Saladino is just a depth move.

Deeper meaning? I'll give you deeper meaning. They are trying like heck to unload Santana. Perez is a nice 5th outfielder.

They've been trying to unload Santana since the Winter Meetings, nothing new there, but it doesn't have anything to do with Saladino. Santana's slow start isn't helping making him more marketable, and if they couldn't find the right deal in the off-season I doubt they're going to find it now.

At this point they just need to ride it out with Domingo. He'll get it going, he's got too good of a bat not to eventually. Maybe he won't have as good of a year as last year, but he won't continue to be this bad.

Archived