Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-18: Reds (Mahle) at Brewers (Davies) 12:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-0]

Eye Black
I'm a big Villar fan, he's one of my favorite players on the Brewers actually. Villar, Yelich & Hader

I know Villar is never gonna be Jackie Robinson, but the hatred towards him here is amusing...

You think its bad here, try surfing Brewers Twitter or the Facebook comments under every line-up he appears in. The hate gets pretty unfathomable.

Yeah, it is pretty disgusting. It is why I usually ignore someone that tells me that Wisconsin fans are different from the rest. Because it is pure crap.

Who says that? Every fan base has bad apples.

Now some can be better or worse than others, I do believe that.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm a big Villar fan, he's one of my favorite players on the Brewers actually. Villar, Yelich & Hader

I know Villar is never gonna be Jackie Robinson, but the hatred towards him here is amusing...

You think its bad here, try surfing Brewers Twitter or the Facebook comments under every line-up he appears in. The hate gets pretty unfathomable.

Yeah, it is pretty disgusting. It is why I usually ignore someone that tells me that Wisconsin fans are different from the rest. Because it is pure crap.

Pretty sure 99% of them were also Carlos Gomez and Nyjer Morgan haters. There is a large contingent of baseball fans out there who just cannot stand players who aren't fundamentally sound all the time, or show a little bit of flair.

You could not go through a Facebook game lineup post last year without seeing numerous "WHERE IS SOGARD?!?!" if Sogard was not in the lineup.

The caucasian overachiever (perceived anyway) is the Wisconsin sports fan's favorite mascot. See: Janis, Jeff or Gennett, Scooter (pre-2017 season even)

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

You also have to remember the mad fan is going to post much more often than the happy fan.

If someone hates Villar and doesn't see him in the lineup he/she will mentally high five him/herself. If they see Villar they fill with rage and feel the need to make their opinion known. Just the way people are wired..

I somewhat understand and don't have a huge problem with Villar being disliked among many fans, especially last year. Between baserunning mistakes, bad defense, and mental errors, nothing he did was a very good look for the casual fan. It did not help that he turned down a contract extension prior to a bad season.

Some of us are guilty of the same attitudes toward Drake, Sogard, Perez, etc.

As long as the attacks are purely baseball related and not personal; hey, everyone has their favorites and not so favorites.

I have not been one to criticize Villar much but don't see how he is resembling the 2016 version, this version is pretty similar to the 2017 version of low on base, low OPS and bad defense. That has nothing to do with a guy showing flair or whatever, really reaching there. With that said the other in house options are equally bad so not much they can do right now.

I have not been one to criticize Villar much but don't see how he is resembling the 2016 version, this version is pretty similar to the 2017 version of low on base, low OPS and bad defense. That has nothing to do with a guy showing flair or whatever, really reaching there. With that said the other in house options are equally bad so not much they can do right now.

I have to agree with this. Even after today his OBP is low, he's not hitting for power and his defense has been uneven at best.

I'm rooting for his success. But his resurgence has been way, way overstated.

The relief pitching except for Drake has been very good. Stearns has made some good pickups. Two straight shutouts the past couple of days but today's 3 errors not good.

The Brewers were 1 Drake appearance away from sweeping the worst team in baseball with an offense that could be optimistically described as putrid and a defense that is offensive...

I get people hate Drake, but this comment doesn't even make sense. Not only are you making a huge assumption whoever could have been used instead was going to give up zero runs, but you are actually trying to say that pitcher was going to take a run off the board! I don't think that is allowed.

Community Moderator

The caucasian overachiever (perceived anyway) is the Wisconsin sports fan's favorite mascot. See: Janis, Jeff or Gennett, Scooter (pre-2017 season even)

It's subtle, but implicit bias is almost certainly playing a role here. I have no doubt it would pop out in a statistical survey of online comments.

Not calling anyone out in particular, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike Villar. The "fans" as a unit tend to give longer leashes to some players than others and implicit bias is just one of many reasons for it.

I know I'm late to the party but who would have thought before the season that Thames would have been internationally walked with runners on 2nd and 3rd to get to Yelich?

He has just killed the Reds but I'm still taking my chances with ET over Yelich. With a base open at least try to get him to chase.

It worked out for them

Can anyone find another instance of back to back shutouts where the winning and only runs were homers by the same player?

Giants vs Dodgers. Earlier this year, where Joe Panik hit solo shots to beat the Dodgers 1-0. I think the first two games of the year.

I have to agree with this. Even after today his OBP is low, he's not hitting for power and his defense has been uneven at best.

I'm rooting for his success. But his resurgence has been way, way overstated.

An OPS+ of 79 with a bunch of errors being spun a a resurgence just tells you how bad Villar was last year

Not only are you making a huge assumption whoever could have been used instead was going to give up zero runs, but you are actually trying to say that pitcher was going to take a run off the board!

Spend a few seconds checking the boxscore (I was watching live) and you will see that Drake gave up 6 runs all by his lonesome putting the Brewers down 9-0. After the Brewers scored 4 the next inning, they would have been up 4-3 had 1) Drake not pitched and 2) the Brewers got the typical performance from their bullpen. Lopez gave up a run in the eighth to make the hypothetical score 4-4. Does Lopez give up that run if he isn't in the game (Counsell would likely have went with his normal options to protect a lead)? Who knows, but I don't have a Drake agenda, I have a crappy player agenda - lets get rid of them. Nnow if you want to lose games that could have been won then enjoy. And, at the end of the year, when the Brewers miss the playoffs by 1 game then enjoy.

Not only are you making a huge assumption whoever could have been used instead was going to give up zero runs, but you are actually trying to say that pitcher was going to take a run off the board!

Spend a few seconds checking the boxscore (I was watching live) and you will see that Drake gave up 6 runs all by his lonesome putting the Brewers down 9-0. After the Brewers scored 4 the next inning, they would have been up 4-3 had 1) Drake not pitched and 2) the Brewers got the typical performance from their bullpen. Lopez gave up a run in the eighth to make the hypothetical score 4-4. Does Lopez give up that run if he isn't in the game (Counsell would likely have went with his normal options to protect a lead)? Who knows, but I don't have a Drake agenda, I have a crappy player agenda - lets get rid of them. Nnow if you want to lose games that could have been won then enjoy. And, at the end of the year, when the Brewers miss the playoffs by 1 game then enjoy.

That's a great story but that's not how it works. So if you can say that not pitching Drake is a guaranteed shutout inning, I'm going to say that we would have pinch hit for Lopez in a close® game and the PH would have struck out instead of hitting a 3 run double. And if does happen to become a one run game late, the bullpen probably blows it anyway because that's what we've done all year. We can make up fake scenarios all day.

Edit: spelling

Archived