Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-18: Reds (Mahle) at Brewers (Davies) 12:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-0]

Eye Black
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers manager Craig Counsell said Wednesday that Ryan Braun's calf is acting up again.

That explains his absence from the starting lineup for Wednesday's game against the Reds. It's a day-to-day situation for now. Hernan Perez is starting in left field and batting fifth versus Cincinnati right-hander Tyler Mahle.

Source: Adam McCalvy on TwitterApr 18 - 12:09 PM

He will linger on the active roster for several days, maybe getting a pinch hit appearance on Saturday. Then they'll put him on the 10-day DL next Tuesday. Par for the course in Brewerland.

Last season, with the very poor outfield options available, I could see why they'd want to not DL Braun if he was likely only out for ~5 days. But this year? Not so much, makes far less sense. Yelich-Cain-Santana to start while Braun is gone, and call up Phillips or Broxton to cover. Let Braun take the time needed to minimize the risk of recurring and give Phillips/Broxton a chance to audition.

It seems like it’s time to get an OF from Colorado Springs. The OFs are too banged up. And then they’d have guys on the bench that can hit. Since Sogard is the only guy with options, he’d be the guy sent down even though he’s on a big league deal.

Villar in and hitting in the order where he needs to be...please CC keep him there through Sunday's game and if you are deadset on starting Sogard give Arcia a game or two off.

If Braun can't start tomorrow night's game put him on the DL and get Broxton up here so we can stop seeing Perez getting starts in the OF for a roster that already has 4 everyday OF options on it. Perez is Mr. day to day OF replacer, and what he should be is the backup 3B/2B option who gets maybe 1 start a week...not 5.

I hate to be a daily lineup whiner guy, but I just can't believe with 4 legit good OFs that we should every be playing Perez in the OF unless someone is hurt. No need to be resting two at a time, stagger them so three are always playing.

Yeah this is ridiculous. I’m getting more and more annoyed with Coles and CC, and already gave up on Sedar long ago

Makes no sense to DL Braun. Do you realize the day he comes back from the 10 day, he'll just be day to day again? He will have something come up to keep him out for a few days, so DL him again?

It is what it is. Unless they know he has an injury more long term, no need to DL him every time he has a nagging injury. He would literally be on the DL the whole season.

Makes no sense to DL Braun. Do you realize the day he comes back from the 10 day, he'll just be day to day again? He will have something come up to keep him out for a few days, so DL him again?

It is what it is. Unless they know he has an injury more long term, no need to DL him every time he has a nagging injury. He would literally be on the DL the whole season.

you DL him so we can get someone else on the roster who can actually play.

Having him day to day at all times wastes a roster spot.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Two hours before the game and the IGT is on page two. Are we losing already?

For a 12:30 Wednesday start time, no less.

I've heard he's a nice guy so I hate to sound like a jerk, but what is going on with Coshun's hair? I think he needs to have some say in the makeup/hair department with what they've made up on his poor head.

Of course it does. But what good does it do to DL him when after 10 days you're in the exact same spot?

Two hours before the game and the IGT is on page two. Are we losing already?

For a 12:30 Wednesday start time, no less.

I've heard he's a nice guy so I hate to sound like a jerk, but what is going on with Coshun's hair? I think he needs to have some say in the makeup/hair department with what they've made up on his poor head.

[sarcasm]Stop trying to distract us.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If he's literally day-to-day with nagging injuries all year, then yes, you keep him on the DL and have an OF of Yelich-Cain-Santana with Thames at 1B and bring up Phillips or Broxton as the 4th OF. However, that said, despite some beliefs, he did actually go through prolonged periods last year where he didn't take many days off, so I don't think it's actually going to be that big of an issue where you're "always in the same day-to-day situation".

It's really ironic looking back on all the times that Tulo was compared to Braun, and people put down Tulo because he couldn't stay healthy.

Yes. I remember all the debates as to which player do you give a long term contract to? And the correct answer was: neither

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Of course it does. But what good does it do to DL him when after 10 days you're in the exact same spot?

Well obviously you have to pick and choose your spots, like you said you can't DL him every time he sneezes. But you do need to do it from time to time, we can't afford to play with a short bench for the next 3 years. Perez has already seen way too much time in the OF. If you can get 3 straight relatively healthy weeks at a time out of Braun, then 10 days off on the DL-- that honestly might be the best you can hope for at this point.

He was healthy as far as we know in ST and then the first 2 weeks of the season. We honestly just aren't going to get much more than 3 weeks at a time out of him anymore.

Yelich... come on man. I hope they get rid of the Gold Glove award so they can stop tricking people into thinking some of these guys are good defenders.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's really ironic looking back on all the times that Tulo was compared to Braun, and people put down Tulo because he couldn't stay healthy.

To be fair, I put down Tulo because his numbers were inflated because he played at Coors Field.

Archived