Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-17: Reds (Romano) at Brewers (Guerra) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-0]

reillymcshane
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I wrong that I'd like to see less taking of pitches against relievers by the Brewers? Or is seeing a lot of pitches always a good thing?

Interesting question, here is the correlation from last year, runs scored vs pitches seen per PA. Somewhat of an uptick but not too dramatic. The team with the most runs scored (HOU) had the second fewest pitches/PA, but the team with the second most runs scored (NYY) saw the second most pitches/PA.

Tvkol6c.png

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As Josh Hader rings up another 2 inning save, I am reminded of the phrase... "Why are we wasting Hader in the pen?"

Questioning whether an electric pitcher may be able to take on a more valuable role is not the same. Yes, I realize that relievers have more value than they used to, but starting pitching is still infinitely more valuable.

As Josh Hader rings up another 2 inning save, I am reminded of the phrase... "Why are we wasting Hader in the pen?"

I don't think he's being wasted necessarily but if he could do what he's doing now as a start there is no question he would be a lot more valuable.

Obviously nobody knows for certain if he could do what he's doing now as a starter, but imagine his surplus value if he could..

Questioning whether an electric pitcher may be able to take on a more valuable role is not the same. Yes, I realize that relievers have more value than they used to, but starting pitching is still infinitely more valuable.

When you have 4 starting pitchers out of 5 that can't make it past 5 innings the bullpen tends to be more valuable than the starting pitching, not the other way around. An inversion really. I prefer having Andrew Miller in the bullpen than an Andrew Miller that was throwing a Zach Davies ERA when they tried starting him.

Josh Hader Is Becoming Baseball’s Most Valuable Reliever

by Jeff Sullivan - April 16, 2018

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/josh-hader-is-becoming-baseballs-most-valuable-reliever/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

When you have 4 starting pitchers out of 5 that can't make it past 5 innings the bullpen tends to be more valuable than the starting pitching, not the other way around.

You are trying to start an argument where there really isn't one. Hader is very valuable in the pen, nobody is denying that. But if he can take a spot in the rotation and give them 7 strong innings every 5 days, instead of 2 strong innings every 3 days, that is likely more valuable.

Am I wrong that I'd like to see less taking of pitches against relievers by the Brewers? Or is seeing a lot of pitches always a good thing?

Interesting question, here is the correlation from last year, runs scored vs pitches seen per PA. Somewhat of an uptick but not too dramatic. The team with the most runs scored (HOU) had the second fewest pitches/PA, but the team with the second most runs scored (NYY) saw the second most pitches/PA.

Tvkol6c.png

Thanks for the reply. Is that starters and relievers or just relievers. I can see benefits of taking pitches vs starters. Run up pitch count, get feel for pitcher, etc. But with a reliever, neither of those apply and may want to hack away if you see a fastball down the middle.

Patrick Corbin has a no no through seven.

Please note this unwritten rule:

Never have I ever believed in this dumb stuff. Never will.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If the Brewers did try Hader as a starter, wouldn't they also put him on an innings limit because of his age? He may be worth a try in the rotation, but I would rather he get thee 100 innings with control over when and how than the 140-150 as a limited starter. If it's 100 vs. 170 or 180 that might be different, but he is so so valuable where he is, I would be tempted not to mess with it.

Nice to see Nottingham get down and block those splitters in the dirt. There have been a couple already today.

I thought Nottingham looked great last night back there. He acted like he's been there forever. :) I hope he gets his first hit soon.

Haha, did you see Sedar waiving the windmill in that replay just as Cain was getting to second and Gennett was getting the ball at the same time

Sedar is another guy who should be shown the door along with Coles.

Archived