Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-17: Reds (Romano) at Brewers (Guerra) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-0]

reillymcshane
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't like Arcia's stance.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So for Villar has done fine, yea let him play and see what happens.

We are not watching the same player apparently. Villar is the same player as of last season, minus the benching in September. I would like Sogard to play everyday until he proves that he can't. If we could give him half the rope Villar has for some reason gotten, I'd be thrilled. Sogard gets on base more, takes more pitches, makes better contact, walks more, plays better defense, and runs the bases better.

He does play defense better. That's true.

Right. Along with the rest....

How about letting Sogard (and Aguilar) actually get comfortable in a starting role and spot in the line-up? I don't understands how people just want to give his at bats away to Villar of alll people. It's like 2017 never happened.

How about letting Sogard (and Aguilar) actually get comfortable in a starting role and spot in the line-up? I don't understands how people just want to give his at bats away to Villar of alll people. It's like 2017 never happened.

No. Its because all the other seasons happened too.

Career numbers:

Sogard: 243/311/323/634

Villar: 256/324/395/719

And given Villar's age (27), its more likely he is going to be at the higher end of his range than Sogard (32). I get the feeling that Counsell is trying to see too much of himself in Sogard...

We have 4 guys in our lineup over the Mendoza line, and the 2nd best season OPS is .727. Good times.

A team slump is an understatement. Way too much talent to be doing what they're doing.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We have 4 guys in our lineup over the Mendoza line, and the 2nd best season OPS is .727. Good times.

A team slump is an understatement. Way too much talent to be doing what they're doing.

Look from all accounts Coles is a good dude. But this is overdue and none of this is knee jerk.

Going back to last July, if we haven't been the worst offense in baseball since then, we've got to be bottom 5. People said it's just a slump. It never ended.

Since Coles took over this offense has been 22nd, 25th, and 20th in runs scored in baseball. It's not acceptable. We were not supposed to have to worry about the offense this year and yet -- same same.

I don't know everything he does, but it's obvious that whatever he's doing isn't working.

Look from all accounts Coles is a good dude. But this is overdue and none of this is knee jerk.

Going back to last July, if we haven't been the worst offense in baseball since then, we've got to be bottom 5. People said it's just a slump. It never ended.

Since Coles took over this offense has been 22nd, 25th, and 20th in runs scored in baseball. It's not acceptable. We were not supposed to have to worry about the offense this year and yet -- same same.

I don't know everything he does, but it's obvious that whatever he's doing isn't working.

Yeah, I'm not sure how long they're willing to wait but it has been a good chunk of last season and now to begin this one. It might be time for him to lose his job to kickstart these guys.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The good news is that Nottingham looks like he is an MLB quality defensive catcher. (minus anything known on framing)

He's a very good framer. Supposedly.

If there are still concerns about his defense, I definitely don't see them from first impressions.

so I guess CC will only let a starter finish the 6th inning if they have a perfect game with less than 60 pitches going?

Yeah, your 33-year-old 6th-7th starter should not be on a pitch count.

The way he's pitching, he will reclaim his ace status in no time.

I don’t understand why CC pulls all of the starters without letting them finish their final frame. They are always pulled mid inning even if the pitch count isn’t too big of a concern. The bullpen is solid, but this is part of the reason for the over used bullpen as it is.

The good news is that Nottingham looks like he is an MLB quality defensive catcher. (minus anything known on framing)

He's a very good framer. Supposedly.

If there are still concerns about his defense, I definitely don't see them from first impressions.

He looks every bit the "catcher of the future" that he was billed as when he was traded for. Bubba Derby has had a solid start at AAA (including a gem so far tonight, albeit in a losing effort), making the Davis for Nottingham/Derby deal look like perhaps it wasn't quite the fleecing some had led us to believe. Plus, Khris Davis makes Santana look like a Gold Glover in the corner OF.

Archived