6. Phillip Ervin ® RF 6. Hernan Perez ® LF

7. Tucker Barnhart (S) C 7. Orlando Arcia ® SS

8. Phil Gosselin ® 3B 8. Jett Bandy ® C

9. Luis Castillo ® P 9. Brent Suter (L) P[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even a hurt Brewers team should be able to take 2/3 from the Reds and 3/4 from the Marlins. 5-2 home stand and leave Milwaukee 13-10. Let's go Crew!
I got a pretty good look at the Reds last week and I must say it's a team struggling. They have no big bats, no big arms and Votto can't do everything. The attendance was really low; you could hear a pin drop. Just a horrible baseball atmosphere. Of course, the cold conditions didn't help.

They have been swept 3 times already and have had 3 games canceled....just brutal. I don't know the Vegas odds, but to me it's 50-50 they get swept by every Central team in the near future.

Even a hurt Brewers team should be able to take 2/3 from the Reds and 3/4 from the Marlins. 5-2 home stand and leave Milwaukee 13-10. Let's go Crew!
I got a pretty good look at the Reds last week and I must say it's a team struggling. They have no big bats, no big arms and Votto can't do everything. The attendance was really low; you could hear a pin drop. Just a horrible baseball atmosphere. Of course, the cold conditions didn't help.

They have been swept 3 times already and have had 3 games canceled....just brutal. I don't know the Vegas odds, but to me it's 50-50 they get swept by every Central team in the near future.

I am fully prepared to go 1-2 or 0-3 this series. The Reds stunk last year and it seemed like a team the Crew just couldn't beat.

Obliques are frustrating. How can you take 70 swings in a cage, report that you're fine, and not be able to play in a baseball game?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Obliques are frustrating. How can you take 70 swings in a cage, report that you're fine, and not be able to play in a baseball game?

this just in-tracis Shaw sneezed a couple times on the dugout and will be “unavailable” today. Counsell said he wants him back to full breathing before playing him so he will probably sit for 5-6 days but not go on the dl

I am really getting frustrated with our roster management. If Braun isn't in the lineup tomorrow he belongs on the DL. And if he goes on the DL it didn't make much sense to PH him yesterday.

Same thing with Thames. It's not a good sign that he can't go against a righty starter. If he can't go tomorrow he belongs on the DL. This was a perfect chance to give Thames a full 10 to heal up and give Choi a look because a decision has to be made on him soon anyway.

Playing with starters that typically go 4-5 innings and a 23 man roster isn't going to work. We have already needlessly cost ourselves several days of a short bench with Yelich and several days with Pina and we're 2 weeks into the season! Stop managing this roster like the DL is still a 15 day stay.

This is frustrating, in part because I don't know what you do. I mean, not DLing Pina earlier was probably a mistake, but I can see wanting to keep Thames and Braun eligible if you feel like they're close.

You could call up an OF and DL Braun (my preferred solution not knowing about the severity of the various injuries), but then that guy goes down tomorrow anyway if Yelich is ready. Part of me wonders why you don't just hold Yelich for the Marlins series if you're worried and call up Phillips with Braun/Thames moving to the DL, but I don't have all the info.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion obviously, but Ryan Braun should basically never be day to day. He is chronically injured or playing with some sort of ailment that makes him ineffective.

Unless it is literally something that is just precautionary and he could go the next day or the next non-maintenance day, you are better off just putting him on the DL, getting a replacement and hoping to get him back at 100%.

I thought that was maybe the case this time since he did hit yesterday but 2 straight days out of the lineup isn't a good sign.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion obviously, but Ryan Braun should basically never be day to day. He is chronically injured or playing with some sort of ailment that makes him ineffective.

Unless it is literally something that is just precautionary and he could go the next day or the next non-maintenance day, you are better off just putting him on the DL, getting a replacement and hoping to get him back at 100%.

I thought that was maybe the case this time since he did hit yesterday but 2 straight days out of the lineup isn't a good sign.

I agree. I think the annoying thing is that we have all this OF depth at AAA, 3-4 banged up OFs, and no one up to take ABs. I do not want fewer ABs from Cain or Yelich, but fewer ABs from Braun is no real issue for 10 days. It is priced in anyway.

It's annoying but I don't think the Brewers are doing anything wrong. Team doctors know more than we do, and if they think an injury may be day to day you can't just immediately DL someone every time they miss a couple games. Braun in particular, he will be day to day for the next three years. So you DL him, he comes back, and may have to sit after two games already. That's just the way it will be with him, day to day, year to year.

As for Yelich, just seems like they may as well be cautious and throw him on DL for another 10 days and bring Broxton or Phillips up.

Yeah...fingers crossed. :indifferent

I'm as eager as anyone to see Yelich back, but in this crappy weather (I mean, even inside MP tonight it's only going to be relatively warm), it's too easy to imagine the oblique being exacerbated and even more DL time. I'm not saying it's easy to be patient, though.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I know there's a thread designated for random MLB news and notes, but I just watched Bryce Harper hit a long homerun and also break his bat in the process. Frank Thomas was the only other player I've seen do that.

I am really getting frustrated with our roster management. If Braun isn't in the lineup tomorrow he belongs on the DL. And if he goes on the DL it didn't make much sense to PH him yesterday.

Same thing with Thames. It's not a good sign that he can't go against a righty starter. If he can't go tomorrow he belongs on the DL. This was a perfect chance to give Thames a full 10 to heal up and give Choi a look because a decision has to be made on him soon anyway.

Playing with starters that typically go 4-5 innings and a 23 man roster isn't going to work. We have already needlessly cost ourselves several days of a short bench with Yelich and several days with Pina and we're 2 weeks into the season! Stop managing this roster like the DL is still a 15 day stay.

Remember, these guys are professional athletes - they are as competitive as competitive gets and they will almost always tell the coaches they are "fine" or just need a day or two no matter how much they are hurt. X-rays and MRIs (if even available on short notice) can only tell so much; it's up to the player to tell the trainers how they feel and often it's the player's fault for under-reporting it.

I know there's a thread designated for random MLB news and notes, but I just watched Bryce Harper hit a long homerun and also break his bat in the process. Frank Thomas was the only other player I've seen do that.

George Kottaras once did that with the Brewers in the old Marlins stadium I remember. So Harper is in elite company with Frank Thomas and George Kottaras #KottarasForHallOfFame

Archived