Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-15: Brewers (Chacín) at Mets (Syndergaard) 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Albers hasn't been all that good, but it is just a small sample so far. ERA is to me a relatively worthless stat for a relief pitcher. The 1.20 WHIP is far more concerning. The good ones are under 1 and the great ones are under 0.90 .... Albers needs to be better, but again it is early
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This just in: Albers is not good.

Pretty solid so far, doesn't walk many, ERA of 2.16, coming into today had a FIP under 2.

But sure, if you want to sum him up by one bad pitch.

You are correct but I was a very bad pitch. Never should've been near there. I'm honestly concerned about who is our closer. Barnes seems like he doesn't want it. Albers is not ideal. Hader does many things so putting him in a role is bad. Williams is still raw. Kinda feel like we need to put Jeffress there... but yikes. Group a whole has been very good. But we miss our knockout guy.

Albers hasn't been all that good, but it is just a small sample so far. ERA is to me a relatively worthless stat for a relief pitcher. The 1.20 WHIP is far more concerning. The good ones are under 1 and the great ones are under 0.90 .... Albers needs to be better, but again it is early

That's your bar for a good reliever? Not very realistic. Corey Knebel had a 1.16 WHIP last year.

Albers has been fine. Pretty much exactly what we hoped for when we signed him I would think.

Yes, he threw a bad 2 strike pitch today.

Albers has a role in which he is generally successful. That role is not as a closer.

DStearns has made very few mistakes since taking over as GM, but one of them is not finding/ acquiring a solid safety net for the bullpen this season if Knebel was injured or regressed (& ineffective).

Folks I've bantered with regarding this generally have come to a consensus that:

1. Season is too long from a calendar standpoint

2. Rosters should be expanded early on to allow a pitching staff develop some rhythm

3. It is not easy to manage these minor injuries, even with a 10 day DL

4. Players need days off early on in order to maintain a high quality product later

5 The weather generally sucks and not conducive to playing and/or watching live baseball in many cases.

I love the game and look forward to every season, but I wonder if the quality of the product long term would be better than what we get here in early April.

1. Who cares what someone who doesn't even like baseball thinks?

2. I don't even know what this means, but that is what spring training is for.

3. Been this way forever, we just happen to have a bunch of guys banged up right now.

4. Maybe so but again this is the way it has always been, same thing for every sport

5. We are having a colder start than average this year, let's calm down. obvious solution is make teams build a roof

Allow me to further explain each then:

1. Fans like high quality baseball with smaller DL lists

2 a pitching staff is managed very differently in April than it is 2 months from now - many believe a staff could use more time to develop roles and avoid injuries with an expanded roster

3. The 10 day DL is a relatively new concept and some organizations like MB, as has been noted here by the experts, has struggled managing this and all of the minor injuries these guys end up dealing with early in the season.

4. You don't think change is ever good? just do it because that's the way it always has been done, okay. What other sports play 6-7 days a week?

5. and finally yes we cant control the weather, but MLB can control the schedule.

I see a few flaws with your proposals. First of all, the schedule won't shorten, baseball and all of the teams will lose money from ad revenue. Not gonna happen. Second, if you were to push the start of the season out, you're going to have even COLDER games, seeing as they'll play in December as opposed to April. I don't think anybody wants to see that. Third, I guess I don't know much about architecture, but I'm guessing it isn't that easy to just add a roof to any stadium. I think most teams want to add roofs to their stadiums, but it isn't an easy task to accomplish. They'll either need to pay upfront for the roof/stadium, or have to get approval for it from a township for a loan. That isn't easy, you're stuck with what you've got

Archived