Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-15: Brewers (Chacín) at Mets (Syndergaard) 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks I've bantered with regarding this generally have come to a consensus that:

1. Season is too long from a calendar standpoint

2. Rosters should be expanded early on to allow a pitching staff develop some rhythm

3. It is not easy to manage these minor injuries, even with a 10 day DL

4. Players need days off early on in order to maintain a high quality product later

5 The weather generally sucks and not conducive to playing and/or watching live baseball in many cases.

I love the game and look forward to every season, but I wonder if the quality of the product long term would be better than what we get here in early April.

1. Who cares what someone who doesn't even like baseball thinks?

2. I don't even know what this means, but that is what spring training is for.

3. Been this way forever, we just happen to have a bunch of guys banged up right now.

4. Maybe so but again this is the way it has always been, same thing for every sport

5. We are having a colder start than average this year, let's calm down. obvious solution is make teams build a roof

Allow me to further explain each then:

1. Fans like high quality baseball with smaller DL lists

2 a pitching staff is managed very differently in April than it is 2 months from now - many believe a staff could use more time to develop roles and avoid injuries with an expanded roster

3. The 10 day DL is a relatively new concept and some organizations like MB, as has been noted here by the experts, has struggled managing this and all of the minor injuries these guys end up dealing with early in the season.

4. You don't think change is ever good? just do it because that's the way it always has been done, okay. What other sports play 6-7 days a week?

5. and finally yes we cant control the weather, but MLB can control the schedule.

Predictable pitch selection by the Brewers... get 2 strikes inside then go any wear but inside for the rest of the AB. Of course Flores was looking for something outside he could hit and he got it... it’s just not Bandy either. I see pina doing it all the time too. No wonder other teams can drive the ball so well on brewers pitchers...

well it went from possible beating these mets for 2/3 to another frustrating effort by this team. this team is not going to sneak up on anyone like last season and will struggle to be a 500 club .sorry for being negative but last season was an anomaly

Has there been a single game this season aside from yesterday that hasn't been blowout loss, glorious close win or heartbreaking close loss?

At times it has felt like October baseball, weather included.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
well it went from possible beating these mets for 2/3 to another frustrating effort by this team. this team is not going to sneak up on anyone like last season and will struggle to be a 500 club .sorry for being negative but last season was an anomaly

Will be interesting to see how they do against some easier competition. Cards/Cubs/Cards/Mets was a pretty rough schedule after the opening series. Now with Reds and Marlins this week, they should be able to right the ship.

Will be interesting to see how they do against some easier competition. Cards/Cubs/Cards/Mets was a pretty rough schedule after the opening series. Now with Reds and Marlins this week, they should be able to right the ship.

Absolutely! Nice to get back home and get back on track in MP, win a few games there, and start to feel better physically too.

So CC uses Braun there but not with a runner on 3rd earlier...great move

CC got ejected a lot earlier in the game. That’d be pat Murphy.

Ejected managers still manage. They're just not in the dugout doing it.

Folks I've bantered with regarding this generally have come to a consensus that:

1. Season is too long from a calendar standpoint

2. Rosters should be expanded early on to allow a pitching staff develop some rhythm

3. It is not easy to manage these minor injuries, even with a 10 day DL

4. Players need days off early on in order to maintain a high quality product later

5 The weather generally sucks and not conducive to playing and/or watching live baseball in many cases.

I love the game and look forward to every season, but I wonder if the quality of the product long term would be better than what we get here in early April.

1. Who cares what someone who doesn't even like baseball thinks?

2. I don't even know what this means, but that is what spring training is for.

3. Been this way forever, we just happen to have a bunch of guys banged up right now.

4. Maybe so but again this is the way it has always been, same thing for every sport

5. We are having a colder start than average this year, let's calm down. obvious solution is make teams build a roof

Allow me to further explain each then:

1. Fans like high quality baseball with smaller DL lists

2 a pitching staff is managed very differently in April than it is 2 months from now - many believe a staff could use more time to develop roles and avoid injuries with an expanded roster

3. The 10 day DL is a relatively new concept and some organizations like MB, as has been noted here by the experts, has struggled managing this and all of the minor injuries these guys end up dealing with early in the season.

4. You don't think change is ever good? just do it because that's the way it always has been done, okay. What other sports play 6-7 days a week?

5. and finally yes we cant control the weather, but MLB can control the schedule.

1. Yeah, don't we all. Injuries aren't going anywhere.

2. I'd rather just see a permanent 26th spot in this era of specialization. Roles and injury changes aren't limited to just April.

3. The 10 day DL replaced the 15; in theory it should be easier to manage injuries, hot harder.

4-5. I don't know what you're proposing -- a 120 game schedule? 100? MLB is never taking that much of a revenue hit. Yes, baseball will always be a long season. You don't want to see MLB in cold weather months, and you don't want to see 6-7 games per week either. How exactly can you get rid of both of those things without a significant cut to the schedule?

The reds always giv us trouble they were a big reason why we didn't make the playoffs. the brewers need to really feast on these teams but the brewers don't do anything easy.

Yep. You can count on Scooter hitting multiple bombs that series and Billy Hamilton somehow having multi hit games and squeaking out a HR. Plus some no name scrub pitcher will shut out the Brewers one of the games.

Actually, yes we can control the weather and we have been doing it in Milwaukee since 2001. Any team building a new stadium should be forced to build a roof, the Yankees just spent $2.3 billion and didn't put a roof on the stadium, ridiculous. Every rainout they should be forced to pay the opposing team a million dollars and each one of us a hundred bucks.

Has there been a single game this season aside from yesterday that hasn't been blowout loss, glorious close win or heartbreaking close loss?

At times it has felt like October baseball, weather included.

Only other one was the last game in San Diego.

Archived