Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-15: Brewers (Chacín) at Mets (Syndergaard) 12:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2]

Eye Black
Southern California = 3 teams

Texas = 2 teams

Miller Park = 1 team

Arizona = 1 team

Florida = 2 "teams"

Atlanta

10 stadiums with a strong likelihood of warm weather

But you can't make a team be on the road for 2-3 weeks. There's nothing that could've been done about this. In a weird way all the bad weather stadiums probably have home games now because most were on the road to start the year due to this strategy and now are at home.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Boston, New York, etc would be upset that they never have a true opening day.

I'm not saying never have an opening day in a cold weather city but rotate it so that there's only one or two a year. I'd think the owners would be in favor of it. I doubt the White Sox owners were excited about their two games that drew under 1,000 each last week.

White Sox and Cubs were on the road for their first two series. Actually 3 for the Cubs

Nice to see Braun getting a PH appearance. Maybe it is just a day off?

Well, the one thing I would read into it is, I doubt they would be planning to DL him. Wouldn't make much sense to give him a PH and back up his return a day.

So CC uses Braun there but not with a runner on 3rd earlier...great move

To be fair, Counsell had been ejected the batter before.

And I’m sure Chacin was coming back out for the 5th before hurting himself.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Did they report that somewhere? I didn't hear or see that. I did see him run to first awkwardly.

Did they report that somewhere? I didn't hear or see that. I did see him run to first awkwardly.

Just assumed. Nothing official.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The bench is so short, if we use Braun early it could have been big trouble if someone had gotten hurt.

They had him on deck with Bandy up. If Bandy walked I'm sure Braun would've hit with 1st and 3rd with one out. After Bandy struck out they pulled him back.

Southern California = 3 teams

Texas = 2 teams

Miller Park = 1 team

Arizona = 1 team

Florida = 2 "teams"

Atlanta

10 stadiums with a strong likelihood of warm weather

But you can't make a team be on the road for 2-3 weeks. There's nothing that could've been done about this. In a weird way all the bad weather stadiums probably have home games now because most were on the road to start the year due to this strategy and now are at home.

Folks I've bantered with regarding this generally have come to a consensus that:

1. Season is too long from a calendar standpoint

2. Rosters should be expanded early on to allow a pitching staff develop some rhythm

3. It is not easy to manage these minor injuries, even with a 10 day DL

4. Players need days off early on in order to maintain a high quality product later

5 The weather generally sucks and not conducive to playing and/or watching live baseball in many cases.

I love the game and look forward to every season, but I wonder if the quality of the product long term would be better than what we get here in early April.

Folks I've bantered with regarding this generally have come to a consensus that:

1. Season is too long from a calendar standpoint

2. Rosters should be expanded early on to allow a pitching staff develop some rhythm

3. It is not easy to manage these minor injuries, even with a 10 day DL

4. Players need days off early on in order to maintain a high quality product later

5 The weather generally sucks and not conducive to playing and/or watching live baseball in many cases.

I love the game and look forward to every season, but I wonder if the quality of the product long term would be better than what we get here in early April.

1. Who cares what someone who doesn't even like baseball thinks?

2. I don't even know what this means, but that is what spring training is for.

3. Been this way forever, we just happen to have a bunch of guys banged up right now.

4. Maybe so but again this is the way it has always been, same thing for every sport

5. We are having a colder start than average this year, let's calm down. The obvious solution is make teams build a roof

I watched the replay of Counsell getting tossed and you can hear the umpire say to him "you know you can't do that" in reference to him simply walking on to the field. Craig didn't say a word until he got tossed. So basically the umpire was cold and didn't want to slow the game down in any way. Except tossing Craig just made things take longer than if he didn't do anything.

Archived