Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-14: Brewers (Anderson) at Mets (Harvey) 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-1]

Eye Black
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, Bandy on TV putting a huge dip in. Isn't that illegal now in MLB?

Bandy would be grandfathered in and not subject to the league policy. Might be banned at Citi field though.

What? So you can be exempt from an MLB policy?

Looked up the policy, I did not know that. Learn something new everyday, lol

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hader needs to be in the rotation sooner or later, just work on that changeup a bit.

I'm beginning to think that the short starts and Counsell's quick hooks are part of a strategy. They seem to be pulling starters as soon as they start running into trouble. If that really is what they are planning to do, then perhaps Hader does have more value as a shut-down pen piece. I don't know ... the pitching usage has just been odd so far this year. Personally I would love to see Hader in the rotation, but I guess I'm starting to understand more why that may not happen.

Haha, Bandy on TV putting a huge dip in. Isn't that illegal now in MLB?

Bandy would be grandfathered in and not subject to the league policy. Might be banned at Citi field though.

What? So you can be exempt from an MLB policy?

Sure can. The tobacco ban passed in the 16-17 off-season but all players who had already played by then were grandfathered and exempt. So Bandy is good to go, but no dipping for Josh Hader.

Didn't see the game tonight, but saw the box score. That was pretty refreshing to look at. First comfortable game we've won? Someone who watched it could let me know better if it wasn't as close as what the score said

The Brewers dominated tonight. Anderson, Jeffress & Hader were lights out. Mets "fans" we're booing Matt Harvey in the 2nd Inning

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Hader needs to be in the rotation sooner or later, just work on that changeup a bit.

I'm beginning to think that the short starts and Counsell's quick hooks are part of a strategy. They seem to be pulling starters as soon as they start running into trouble. If that really is what they are planning to do, then perhaps Hader does have more value as a shut-down pen piece. I don't know ... the pitching usage has just been odd so far this year. Personally I would love to see Hader in the rotation, but I guess I'm starting to understand more why that may not happen.

Relief innings definitely CAN be more valuable -- you can pick and choose your innings for crucial situations. You don't have that luxury with a starter. It's once every 5 days and that's that.

My question would be why relievers typically throw so much less than starters and if there is efficient usage to close that gap so you're not at 200 innings for starters and 50-75 for relievers.

Yah with a starter they may be totally worthless. Score zero runs? Worthless. Offense scores 10? Worthless. Could have had anyone pitch that day. When Hader pitches now you know it is almost always a huge moment.

Relief innings definitely CAN be more valuable -- you can pick and choose your innings for crucial situations. You don't have that luxury with a starter. It's once every 5 days and that's that.

My question would be why relievers typically throw so much less than starters and if there is efficient usage to close that gap so you're not at 200 innings for starters and 50-75 for relievers.

Starters are down to about 180 innings now assuming they are healthy. Almost nobody goes 200+ anymore. RP are in the 65-80 IP range. Only 32 starters went over 180 innings last year, 50 RP went over 65. Just like we saw the jump in shifts a few years back we are seeing the jump in the 5-6 IP starter and the 2 IP RP this year. I have seen so many pitchers pulled with 2 outs in the 4th and a lead this season where in the past they would have tried to push them through the 5th to 'get the win'.

Didn't see the game tonight, but saw the box score. That was pretty refreshing to look at. First comfortable game we've won? Someone who watched it could let me know better if it wasn't as close as what the score said

The Brewers dominated tonight. Anderson, Jeffress & Hader were lights out. Mets "fans" we're booing Matt Harvey in the 2nd Inning

Interesting, obviously Harvey had such a huge year his one big year, and he's in a huge market, but I guess I'm curious why Harvey continues to be a large media spotlight. The last part of that thought is probably why, and I guess that is interesting. Players who do so well in huge markets get large spotlight, but a player like Josh Hader whose just been unbelievable in his time in the bigs doesn't get much attention. Maybe it's interesting to me because I'm annoyed by it haha, wish some Brewers players would get more

Gonna take this out of the optimism thread.

And the Cubs just came back from a 10-2 deficit

9 runs in the 8th, all 9 scored with 2 out. Unreal.

This meltdown is all of our meltdowns this year combined. The cubs had only 3 hits that inning, 1 an infield hit. Hbp, k, single, k, hbp, infield hit, bb, bases clearing double tying the game, intent bb, bb, bb, bb, wp with an error to score 2, and k to mercifully end the inning. Poor efren Navarro striking out twice. Sam Freeman came in after the intentional walk and walked all 3 batters he faced.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

What's the move tomorrow? Do they swap Phillips for Lopez, or Phillips for Guerra with Woodruff called up for the next #5 start?

Any of those, probably depending on Braun/Yelich health may need to figure out a way to keep Phillips up. Could be Braun to 10 day and make room for one of the pitchers. If Phillips is sent down and Braun out but no going to the DL along with Pina banged up we'd be back to having a real short bench.

Archived