Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thursday 4/12

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Colorado Springs 7, New Orleans 6

SKY SOX COMPLETE SWEEP OF NEW ORLEANS IN WALK-OFF FASHION

cut.jpeg

Box Score / Log

Eight hits and seven walks for the Sky Sox, pretty much all hands deck in this lineup with National League rules. Sky Sox pitchers, for their part, walked only one and K'd ten.

My goodness, Jacob Nottingham, we like this 2018 start. And as many know, when you dug beyond the 2017 batting average, there was a lot to like last season.

Not sure how long Angel Ventura had been in town after his arrival from Biloxi, but he was greeted rudely in the 9th, recovered, and got the walkoff win on his behalf.

New Orleans Top of the 9th

Rafael Ortega called out on strikes.

Pitching Change: Angel Ventura replaces Mike Zagurski, batting 6th.

Jonathan Rodriguez homers (2) on a fly ball to center field.

Scott Van Slyke strikes out swinging.

Cristhian Adames grounds out, pitcher Angel Ventura to first baseman Ji-Man Choi.

Col. Springs Bottom of the 9th

Nate Orf walks.

Mauricio Dubon out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Jumbo Diaz to first baseman Jonathan Rodriguez. Nate Orf to 2nd.

Ji-Man Choi walks.

Jacob Nottingham singles on a fly ball to right fielder Scott Van Slyke. Nate Orf scores. Ji-Man Choi to 2nd.

I'm not going to get excited about Ray - or anyone else - doing well after a handful of games. I'm thrilled he's doing well - but it's so early and the sample size is tiny.

I've watched video of two of his extra base hits and they were badly misplayed by the outfielders. Trust me, I want him to succeed but am tempering my enthusiasm for a while.

I am rooting for Corey Ray to show offensive improvement this season, that would be an encouraging boost to the system. However, even with the hot start in this small sample his strikeout rate currently sits at 30% so far this season. In over 500 plate appearances at High-A last season his strikeout rate was also 31%. That is the biggest area where I would like to see him improve. One of his issues last season appeared to be an inability to catch up to fastballs on the outer half of the plate, so hopefully he has made some swing adjustments in that regard as well. I will be encouraged this year if Ray is able to put the ball in play more often and cut his strikeout rate down below 25%.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I’ve been fighting against the Lara is 20.... should just give up & cut him already haters for a long while.... please Good Lord let this be the Lara of the future! All talent in world, hopefully things are finally going to click for him & his attitude has turned around.

Hello Corey Ray.... about time we get to meet you!

Nice to see a couple of the written off guys in the system start hot: Lara, Ray, T. Taylor, Nottingham

I'm not going to get excited about Ray - or anyone else - doing well after a handful of games. I'm thrilled he's doing well - but it's so early and the sample size is tiny.

I've watched video of two of his extra base hits and they were badly misplayed by the outfielders. Trust me, I want him to succeed but am tempering my enthusiasm for a while.

I am rooting for Corey Ray to show offensive improvement this season, that would be an encouraging boost to the system. However, even with the hot start in this small sample his strikeout rate currently sits at 30% so far this season. In over 500 plate appearances at High-A last season his strikeout rate was also 31%. That is the biggest area where I would like to see him improve. One of his issues last season appeared to be an inability to catch up to fastballs on the outer half of the plate, so hopefully he has made some swing adjustments in that regard as well. I will be encouraged this year if Ray is able to put the ball in play more often and cut his strikeout rate down below 25%.

That is a small sample, I'll also add he hasn't struck out in the last 3 games. Maybe some jitters those first couple games?

Final: Wisconsin 6, Clinton 4

Rattlers Rally Past Clinton

Orimoloye has a big night with big hits for Wisconsin

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

cut.jpg

Wisconsin Box Score

Like Chris said, a big 3-4 night from Demi Orimoloye that saw fall just a double short of a cycle. Joantgel Segovia and Gilbert Lara both chipped in 2 hits as well, as the Rattlers rallied late to take the victory. Lara hit his second long ball of the year, upping his OPS to a smooth 1.059 early on. Pat McInerney got on base 4 times with 3 walks and a single.

You'll take a walk a 9 Ks from your starting pitcher most nights, though Alec Bettinger also gave up a home run and 2 doubles en route to allowing 3 runs in his 5 innings of work. Gabe Friese picked up the save with two hitless, scoreless innings.

Wisconsin Game Log

I’ve been fighting against the Lara is 20.... should just give up & cut him already haters for a long while.... please Good Lord let this be the Lara of the future! All talent in world, hopefully things are finally going to click for him & his attitude has turned around.

Hello Corey Ray.... about time we get to meet you!

Nice to see a couple of the written off guys in the system start hot: Lara, Ray, T. Taylor, Nottingham

Ronnie Gideon (who was in my top 5 at one point, before a slump in Wisconsin) also making a comeback. :)

Man, you guys are huge buzz kills. :)

That is a small sample, I'll also add he hasn't struck out in the last 3 games. Maybe some jitters those first couple games?

I noticed that as well, it is a good sign at least.

Also, regarding Tyrone Taylor, I predicted he would break out last year. Of course, he ran into injury problems and ended up having a wasted season. Off to a great start this year, taking some walks too.

Always a good reminder, there are the All Star type studs like Braun and Fielder who roll through every level and put up monster numbers. But there's plenty of players who have ups and down and turn into good MLB players. I think a lot of that has to do with how aggressively a lot of these guys are promoted through the system these days.

Beginning to be apparent that Biloxi has the potential to have an absolutely loaded roster...nice problem to have.

I've never soured on Corey Ray - I think too many people wanted the big arm that was picked right behind him (who now won't be pitching for 1-1.5 years due to injury). The tools and talent are there - reducing K's will continue to be a point of emphasis in his development, but to me he's the reason Harrison was expendable in the Yelich trade. He opened at low A right after being drafted and then injured a knee in fall ball requiring surgery. That didn't stop the Brewers from pushing Ray to A+ last year without having a stretch of professional ball that would instill a level of confidence. Hiura's track was different, opening briefly in Helena and not having to play defense while he raked through low A during his 1st season. Hiura's hit tool has always been rated higher than Ray's, but part of Ray's value comes with defense/athleticism.

I'd like nothing more than for Ray to put up a 0.900ish OPS and remind everyone why he was widely considered the best college position player in the 2016 draft.

Archived