Brewer Fanatic

Marion, Gwynn, Opdyke signed

I think the most interesting thing we found out Saturday is that Anthony prefers to be called Tony... Tony Gwynn, Jr. I had heard him called that before but never in print - I'm not sure if it's a recent change or if that's what he's been called all along.

Tony Sr. was indeed in Omaha at the CWS and so he was unable to make it to Miller Park. Tony Jr. took batting practice and stayed to watch the game.

Good stuff.

~Bill

I would say no pressure at all. Piece o'cake for the guy. Glad he got to see a good game, and hope he takes some of Podzilla's patience at the plate with him. Good role model for being a centerfielder. Takes your walks, have a good batting eye, and get on base any way you can.

I think the most interesting thing we found out Saturday is that Anthony prefers to be called Tony... Tony Gwynn, Jr. I had heard him called that before but never in print - I'm not sure if it's a recent change or if that's what he's been called all along.

I read an article right after he was drafted that briefly discussed this. It seems to me like he may have just wanted to make it as his own man, not relying on his dad's name to gain recognition. Kinda like Daryl Strawberry Jr. (who plays baseketball) going by D.J. As far as I know, he just made the switch to "Tony" now that he's become a professional. But if he hits anything like his dad, I'll call him whatever he wants us to call him.

Archived