Brewer Fanatic

Braun- When do you DFA?

FVBrewerFan
For me, it is not that he cannot be DFA'd. Of course he can, if his play over a long period of time warrants it. It is the timing of the post and how it is worded that makes this like Joey Meyer Bombs said, clickbait.

I'll be waiting when June 12 comes around and Braun's line is around .270/.330/.800. In case nobody noticed this team as a whole has started the season out absolutely atrocious and save for heroics several times we'd have a really bad record.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
For me, it is not that he cannot be DFA'd. Of course he can, if his play over a long period of time warrants it. It is the timing of the post and how it is worded that makes this like Joey Meyer Bombs said, clickbait.

I can see that now, but that was not my intent. Have been around here for 10+ years and 6,000 posts, have never been one to post provacative stuff. Until now, I think the closest I've come to that is putting Peralta #1 on my Top 25 list.

Well, if the results so far this year are two be believed, you may be "Prospect Nostradamus".

Unless you are talking about Wily. Who is a stark reminder on being careful not to put too much hope on homegrown pitching prospects. But I digress ...

I can see that now, but that was not my intent. Have been around here for 10+ years and 6,000 posts, have never been one to post provacative stuff. Until now, I think the closest I've come to that is putting Peralta #1 on my Top 25 list.

Well, if the results so far this year are two be believed, you may be "Prospect Nostradamus".

Unless you are talking about Wily. Who is a stark reminder on being careful not to put too much hope on homegrown pitching prospects. But I digress ...

I am no such thing, that title rightfully belongs to Clancy.

I'll be waiting when June 12 comes around and Braun's line is around .270/.330/.800. In case nobody noticed this team as a whole has started the season out absolutely atrocious and save for heroics several times we'd have a really bad record.

.800 slugging percentage? That IS heroic.

.800 slugging percentage? That IS heroic.

I can't even to that on video games :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Babe Ruth only won 1 MVP....what.

Modern award did not exist until 1931. Previously it was not awarded every season and there was a rule that a player could not win it more than once. He did lead his league in WAR 10 times

I honestly had no idea until right now that he finished his career as a player of the Boston Braves.

Yup, he was 40 years old, had an ok April, fell apart in May, but famously had a 3 HR game for numbers 712, 713 and 714 and retired a week later.

In the John Goodman movie, and my best recollection of reading a biography when I was a kid, the Braves had made him think he'd eventually become manager there. He came to learn they were just leading him on to get him there and sell tickets. Then he quit.

DFA Babe Ruth
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

DFA Babe Ruth

OPS plummeted to .985 and WAR to 5.2 in his last season as a Yankee at age 39. What a loser.

Weren't they basically playing slow pitch softball back then?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

DFA Babe Ruth

OPS plummeted to .985 and WAR to 5.2 in his last season as a Yankee at age 39. What a loser.

Don't know about that. There definitely weren't as many guys who threw heat, but Walter Johnson and Smoky Joe Wood were known to at least have upper 90s heaters.

Don't know about that. There definitely weren't as many guys who threw heat, but Walter Johnson and Smoky Joe Wood were known to at least have upper 90s heaters.

I was joking but I have doubts that they threw in the upper 90's. Probably low 90's but not for long as they were complete game type pitchers. Huge difference to today's game is that these guys paced themselves to pitch a complete game, every time out.

I was joking but I have doubts that they threw in the upper 90's. Probably low 90's but not for long as they were complete game type pitchers. Huge difference to today's game is that these guys paced themselves to pitch a complete game, every time out.

That and it's pretty clear nowadays that after hitters have seen pitchers 2-3 times, they begin to hit them better. Might help success rates in the 8th and 9th inning when you've seen Walter Johnson's curveball in several at-bats already.

Just saw a video of Braun's throw out at 3rd. 1 hop on the bag from the wall in St. Louis. That is 20 for him in last 2 seasons+ or 220 games of of Innings in the OF. That's really solid for a the hate he gets on his defense prowess.

Outfield assists usually happen because teams will run on poor defenders a lot more often.

Just saw a video of Braun's throw out at 3rd. 1 hop on the bag from the wall in St. Louis. That is 20 for him in last 2 seasons+ or 220 games of of Innings in the OF. That's really solid for a the hate he gets on his defense prowess.

Outfield assists usually happen because teams will run on poor defenders a lot more often.

Interesting theory but I'd need to see some more evidence, just a quick check and Vladimir Guerrero for example was in the top 4 in his league in assists for basically 10 straight years despite his reputation. Ichiro is similar, top 5 in the league in RF assists for most of the 2000s.

Interesting theory but I'd need to see some more evidence, just a quick check and Vladimir Guerrero for example was in the top 4 in his league in assists for basically 10 straight years despite his reputation. Ichiro is similar, top 5 in the league in RF assists for most of the 2000s.

I'll add that Jay Bruce was averaging about 10 per season for most of his career. I think it's very well known that dude has a cannon.

Teams absolutely will run on a weaker arm more often and take more risks, but you still have to make a good throw. And Braun is relatively well known to have an average but accurate arm from the outfield.

Archived