Brewer Fanatic

2018 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

LouisEly

Welp, here we go again. With nine picks on day three there is a really good chance they use one or two of those picks to trade up in the 2nd or 3rd or get and extra 3rd. Let’s get after it.

1st Round: Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College – production his senior year wasn’t like the huge junior year he had (16.5 sacks, 22.5 TFL) because he missed a couple of games with injury but looked great at the combine with top five times in the 3-cone and short shuttle and fastest time in long shuttle among all LBs. Fills a big need as CMIII’s career is starting to wane and Perry can’t stay healthy.

If they trade down: Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa – big-time playmaker with NFL size (6’1”, 192), he was a one-year wonder but what a year it was with 8 INTs and 27 passes defensed. Didn’t look good at the combine but ran much faster (4.42) at their pro day. Signing Tramon Williams lessened the need at CB a bit, but they will still draft at least one CB if not two somewhere.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia – undersized but speedy LB who can chase down anyone from sideline to sideline. GB let Joe Thomas walk and has only Martinez and Ryan as full-time ILBs left on the roster. They will draft ILB somewhere, the question is who and when.

2nd Round: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado – athletic CB and former track star (was decathlete on Colorado track team as freshman) who has great size (6’0”, 200) and long arms. Sat behind NFL draft picks until this year, the thought is he is just scratching the surface of what he is able to do.

If they trade up: Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State – has a bit of Watt in him as he started as a walk-on QB, but now is a 6’4” 250 lb linebacker with good speed and agility. Played more inside but has length to move outside. One-year wonder who didn’t make a lot of plays behind the line (8 TFL, 4 sacks), but that could be a function of playing ILB and he forced four fumbles. High ceiling.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland – put up big numbers despite everyone knowing they were targeting him and Maryland being down to their 4th string QB due to injury. Put up as good if not better numbers at the combine as Calvin Ridley; if he had Ridley’s supporting cast would be talking in the same breath as him. More like a Randall Cobb, he’s on the shorter side at 6’0”, 210, but ran a 4.42 with a 39.5” vertical.

3rd Round: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma – more of a WR in a TE body, he doesn’t offer a lot as a blocker but runs excellent routes with a deft feel for route adjustments and operating in space. Red zone threat who averaged one TD every five catches and can also go long as he averaged 15.8 yards/catch for his career. Not elite but good enough athleticism with huge hands. They let Richard Rodgers walk, Kendricks had too many drops, and I don’t know that Graham sees his entire contract length. Like ILB, a TE or two will be drafted.

If he’s still available: Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford – true junior who was a three-year starter with seven career INTs. Has great size (6’1”, 210) and ran a 4.48 at their pro day with a 39” vertical. Son of a NFL defensive coach, he was never penalized in 2017.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Braden Smith, OG, Auburn – the Packers sent their OL coaches to Auburn’s pro day, and he was the target. Became starter as a freshman and is built like a bank safe with great strength and is a mauler.

4th Round (from Browns): Austin Corbett, G/C, Nevada – former walk-on at Nevada who became four-year starter at LT. Likely doesn’t have the length to stay outside, he offers positional versatility and can be the next J.C. Tretter who can play anywhere needed.

If he’s still available: P.J. Hall, DT, Sam Houston State – there’s dominating a lower level of competition, and then there’s what Hall did as he tallied 42 sacks, 86.5 TFLs, and 14 blocked kicks for his career. Oh, he also ran a 4.76 40 at their pro day – at 308 lbs. Generously listed at 6’1”, he won’t bat down a lot of passes but could be another Mike Daniels and an absolute terror on the interior.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma – on the shorter side, but explosive with long arms and gets off the ball and upfield with juice and attacks the pocket. Had 29.5 TFL, 17 sacks, and five forced fumbles over last two seasons and has ability to disengage blockers and run down plays as he had very high tackle numbers for a college DE.

4th (comp): Arrion Springs, CB, Oregon – Pro Football Focus graded him out as the best CB in the Pac 12 and he led the conference in passes defensed but was only 3rd team All-Conference and somehow didn’t get invited to the combine. Well, he showed them as he supposedly ran a sub-4.4 at their pro day. Good size (5’11, 200) with excellent athleticism, but only had two INTs for his career.

If he’s still available: Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa – tremendously productive and always around the ball because he is extremely quick to see and diagnose the play and has a relentless motor. Doesn’t have size or long speed, but excellent short-area quickness as he had the 2nd fastest 3-cone time among all LBs at the combine.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State – former high school QB and son of NFL WR Cedrick Wilson started at juco, then combined for 139 catches for 2640 yards in only two seasons for Boise State. A bit on the skinny side, but has length, is an excellent route runner, can work from either outside or slot, and gets open deep – over 25% of his catches went for >25 yards and averaged 19 yards/catch for his career.

5th Round (from Browns): Leon Jacobs, LB, Wisconsin – Green Bay has been meeting with guys who showed great athletic traits, and it doesn’t get more athletic at LB than Jacobs. Ran a disturbingly fast 4.48 at the combine, and once ran down Melvin Gordon in practice. Not a great pass rusher, he’s more of a coverage LB and best fit at the next level might be on the inside. Can be a special teams demon until he finds his position.

If he’s still available: Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis – while GB traded for their developmental QB in Kizer, Ferguson ran a juggernaut offense at Memphis and in his two years combined for almost 8,000 yards, 70 TDs, and 19 INTs. Almost 40% of his pass attempts were for more than 10 yards, he is deft at dropping balls over defenders and back-shoulder throws.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Justin Watson, WR, Penn – any questions about his athletic ability were answered when he ran a 4.39 at his pro day with a 40” vertical. Totaled 3,777 yards and 33 TDs in his career. Athletic, muscular 6’3”, 215 – his floor is Jeff Janis, but went to an Ivy League school (not Saginaw Valley State) so he shouldn’t have any issues learning the route tree.

5th (comp A): Natrell Jamerson, S/CB, Wisconsin – same as Leon Jacobs, a super-athletic prospect who bounced around between three positions (WR, CB, S) in his college career. Ran a 4.40 40 at the combine and led all DBs with 25 reps on the bench. Lots of special teams experience, he can be the S/CB hybrid the Packers had with Micah Hyde.

If he’s still available: Gennard Avery, ILB, Memphis – played both outside and inside, and very athletic for his size. Big LB with history of production, had 22 TFLs his senior year and was top-10 in the 40 among LBs at the combine. Returned both INTs his junior year for TDs.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech – need someone to push McCray for the starting guard position. Very strong, long arms, good body control.

5th (comp B): Cole Madison, T/G, Washington State – three-and-a-half-year starter at RT, he’s a good athlete who gets out of his stance quickly and works well in space with lots of experience in pass protection. Has experience to start right away at RT if Bulaga and Spriggs aren’t healthy, but best fit long-term may be at guard. If he can stick at RT it could allow the Packers to part ways with the oft-injured Bulaga and free up cap space.

If he’s still available: Andre Chachere, CB, San Jose State – good size at a hair under 6’0” and 197 lbs, was very productive as a junior but teams stopped throwing his way as a senior and production dropped off. Ran 4.48 at the combine with a 38” vertical and has huge hands, can be more than adequate boundary corner. Eerily similar combine measurements and numbers as Josh Jackson.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan – injured part of senior year but had really good tape junior year and had 500 receiving yards in only eight games as a senior. Started college career as basketball player, had 38” vertical at combine.

6th round: Dylan Cantrell, WR, Texas Tech – may not have long speed, but instincts, ball skills, and body control are elite. Big body WR who knows how to use his body and the sideline. Drops are rare and has late hands that can snatch the ball out of the air – combine that with his vertical (38.5”) and height (6’3”) and you have a sideline back-shoulder throw terror. Body control showed at combine as he posted the top time in the 3-cone, short shuttle, and long shuttle among all WRs; could be boundary or slot, and a slot receiver his size could be a weapon.

If he’s still available: Zach Seiler, DE, Ferris State – like Hill he dominated lower level of competition and posted 50.5 TFL and 26.5 sacks his junior and senior year combined. Also ran a ridiculous 4.78 at his pro day – very impressive for a guy 6’5”, 290 – and put up 31 reps on the bench.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Aaron Evans, OT, UCF – three-year starter at LT, his tape the last two years isn’t great but that’s because he was playing with a back injury that required surgery at the end of the season. Now he feels 100% and could be a bargain this late.

6th (comp): Deon Yelder, TE, Western Kentucky – stuck behind NFL draft pick Tyler Higbee, Yelder broke out as a starter this year catching 52 passes for 688 yards and 7 TDs. Known as one of the most athletic players on the team and a good blocker. A little short (6’3”) but a complete TE and good special teams player. Pack reportedly brought him in for a workout.

If he’s still available: Dominick Sanders, S, Georgia – a little undersized (5’11”, 186), Sanders was a playmaker who found the ball with 16 career INTs.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Dorace Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa – highly athletic WR and Madison, WI, native slipped out from under UW’s nose to star at UNI. Good size (6’1”, 204), ran a 4.46 40 with a 42.5” vertical at their pro day, the Pack sent scouts to watch him.

7th Round: Anthony Winbush, OLB, Ball State – undersized DE who will have to convert to OLB, Winbush had 11.5 sacks in 2017 and led the nation with five forced fumbles. Relentless motor, Pack had scouts at Ball State’s pro day.

If he’s still available: J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State – combined for 5,600 yards, 59 TDs, and 16 INTs his junior and senior season combined. Might not be ideal height/size, but productive and I think their hurry-up offense didn’t do him any favors. Certainly has agility and good enough arm strength, but questionable downfield accuracy.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Chris Seisay, CB, Portland State – started as a freshman at Oregon but transferred before his junior season to Portland State. Ideal size (6’1”, 197), good athleticism (ran 4.50 at pro day with great 3-cone time). Pack sent scouts to his pro day and interviewed him.

7th (from Buffalo): Zaire Franklin, ILB, Syracuse – the Packers have been targeting highly athletic players and Franklin fits the mold, and he had an outstanding pro day as well. With Joe Thomas gone, the Pack will need depth at ILB.

If he’s still available: Trayvon Henderson, S, Hawaii – another highly athletic prospect, had a great junior season (90 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 2 sacks, 3 INTs, blocked kick) but inconsistent senior year. Pack had scouts at Hawaii’s pro day.

Don’t be surprised if it’s: Kendall Donnerson, OLB, Southeast Missouri State – move over Leon Jacobs, Donnerson dropped jaws at his pro day with a 4.44 40 and a 40” vertical. Played OLB in a 3-4, and is great size at 6’3”, 250, but is raw and needs lots of coaching. Pack brought him in for a workout.

UDFA’s:

Jeremiah Briscoe, QB, Sam Houston St.

Kani Benoit, RB, Oregon

Austin Ramesh, FB, Wisconsin

Nick Keizer, TE, Grand Valley St.

Malik Turner, WR, Illinois

Deontez Alexander, WR, Franklin College

Jake Campos, OT, Iowa St.

Dejon Allen, G, Hawaii

Nico Falah, C, USC

Mike Ramsey, DT, Duke

Tyler Lancaster, DT, Northwestern

Anthony Ellis, OLB, Charleston Southern

Matt Oplinger, OLB, Yale

Eric Boggs, ILB, Appalachian State

Ben Niemann, LB, Iowa

Trey Johnson, CB, Villanova

Cameron Roane, CB/S, Columbia

Jaden Wright, S, New Mexico St.

Aaron Medley, K, Tennessee

Trevor Daniel, P, Tennessee

Ive read some good things about oliver. One guy put him as his top cb after he finally watched the tape on him. If he's as good as that, what steal in the second round.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I think Cichy will go in the 5th; the injury history will push him down. The Pack did bring him in for a workout, but I'm not sure if it was an official workout (one of the 30 they are allowed) or he just came up because of geographical convenience and they let him workout. I considered him in the 5th, but went with Genard Avery instead.

Too bad about Nick Nelson. Hopefully the Lions make it right and draft him early on day 3.

On an unrelated note, I don't think that WR is as big of a need as some do. They have Adams, Cobb, and Allison, and they're really high on Michael Clark - they activated him from the practice squad prior to Week 13. Then you have Trevor Davis and DeAngelo Yancey. They'll draft a WR to compete with Davis/Yancey for the 5th/6th WR spot, but other than D.J. Moore and maybe Courtland Sutton there isn't anyone I'd spend a day two pick on. They have boundary receivers in Adams, Allison, and Clark - they need a slot receiver to take over for Cobb next year, and you can find those in the middle rounds. The Viqueens have two pro-bowl caliber receivers and didn't have to spend more than a 5th round draft pick (and one no draft pick at all) to get them.

I also don't think safety is a need despite the loss of Burnett - it's why they let him walk. They have Dix, Jones, Brice, and Evans, and they activated Whitehead for 10 games last year. A S/CB hybrid like Jamerson can allow the Packers to keep Jones as a S/LB hybrid on passing downs.

Great writeup as usual, Louis! It's always a bonus Spring highlight besides having Brewers baseball back.

Basketball player turned MAC tight end: I'd love to see Tyler Conklin go from wearing maroon and gold to green and gold. Makes this Central Michigan alum proud whenever a Chippewa becomes a Packer; there's been a few of those in Green Bay's past.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If one of the QB's somehow falls to 14, and NE calls and offers picks 23 & 31... do you take it? I would lean towards yes, but it depends on who's still on the board.

If there is still a top QB on the board, it would probably mean that the top defenders that the Packers are hoping fall are gone. In which case, I take that deal without hesitation. This team needs to fill a bunch of holes and shore up depth. Take as many high picks as you can get. It would also give them more ammo for a player-for-pick deal

• 2 weeks later...
Prediction: Packer fans get upset over the team not taking some fan favorite from the Badgers.

:laughing This was good and so, so accurate. One will be my brother. Love him, but one will be him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Joshua Jackson has been my guy since January, so I’m still hoping he is the pick. Reviewing some mock drafts, it looks like guys I’d though would be gone by 14 will be around like Fitzpatrick.

I think we will get a good defensive player at 14. I will be upset if they move up because I think a good player will be there at 14 and personally the only player on defense that is far away better than what will be there is Chubb and maybe ward from ohio state. If you can get a jackson, Fitzpatrick, or Alexander I don’t think it’s worth giving up your #2 and maybe additions picks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't really want them to trade up, but if they are sold on Ward, James or Fitzpatrick, it could happen. It is possible that one of those guys slides to 14, but they really aren't interchangeable. Ward or Fitzpatrick would fill a more immediate need, as they can play perimeter/slot corner. James could as well, but he's more of the traditional safety, albeit with elite-level measureables.

If Ward, Fitzpatrick and James are gone, I predict a trade down with the team trying to jump up to grab Lamar Jackson or another falling QB. I think Joshua Jackson will still be there in the 20s, as will guys like Davenport.

Every draft has players that fall. If there's a big run at QB and DB, something has to give. Would you take Vea is he falls to 14? Any other player you would take if he falls? Quenton Nelson?

Quenton Nelson shouldn't make it past 6 with Indy. He's a generational player at guard. If the Packers move up, my guess is it would be with SF at 9 or the Raiders at 10. Moving up from 14 would cost at least their 3rd and one of the 4th round picks, but shouldn't command their 2nd round pick. If the Raiders are hell-bent on drafting an OT, it's pretty safe that they could move back to 14 and still get their guy (wild card would be the Bills at 12 - barring a trade - who lost their three best OL this offseason but they also desperately need a QB).

Gruber Lawffices

It's hard to sort out truth in all the rumors, but if the Browns are indeed going to draft Mayfield #1 overall, I would think the Giants would take Darnold for succession planning after Manning. They could take Barkley or Chubb if they're more interested in going for it again, but when might they be in position to grab arguably the best QB in a draft class? The Jets probably take Rosen (you don't trade up from 6 to 3 and not be planning to take a QB). The Browns could still then get Barkley at 4, or trade back with the Bills or Dolphins if they want to leapfrog the Broncos for Josh Allen.

Who knows, man. The only guarantee is that something crazy will happen and all you can do is hope your team isn't on the stupid side of things.

Gruber Lawffices

Yeah, the nice thing about the Packers' situation is that there really isn't a logical scenario where they come out on the stupid end of a trade. Either they trade up because a guy like Chubb or Ward or whomever is there or they move back because someone else is going to potentially make a stupid move to get to #14.

Better put, there will be teams that end the night looking stupid... if the Packers look stupid, it'll be because their guy didn't work out, and we won't know that for a few years.

I agree with many of the experts and think Gutekunst will probably look to trade up for Ward, James or Fitzpatrick. There seems to be a pretty big drop-off in quality after them and the Packers desperately need defensive backs. I'm not one that buys the argument that the pass rush is just too ineffective. Their DB play was nothing short of a complete abomination last year (and the year before). If Gutekunst misses out on those three then I wouldn't be surprised to see him trade back. Jaire Alexander seems to have elevated himself from the next group, but considering his injury problems last year, I wouldn't be all that shocked if the Packer's board had Alexander, Mike Hughes, Isaiah Oliver and Josh Jackson with all about the same grade.

I've seen enough references about Davenport maybe only being a fit as a 4-3 DE where I'd lean against thinking the Packers would take him at #14. I also am aware that they brought Vita Vea in but I think that's strickly a smoke-screen. He's best as a nose tackle and they already have Clark there. Spend the #14 pick on him and have to play either him or Clark as a 5-technique? I don't see it. I believe Mike Mcglinchey is a real possibility but see many mocks have him being off the board at #14. I personally like Calvin Ridley but it just seems like the general consensus has really sagged on him the closer it got to today. I'm guessing the Packers won't take him. I really see it as DB and just maybe an OL'man slides in there depending on how things fall.

Here would be my guesses at the current draft spots.

1-14 = Jaire Alexander/CB/Louisville

McGinn has Fitzpatrick falling to this spot and I would agree that if he makes it here then he is the pick. I just think Ward, James and Fitzpatrick are all off the board so I'll just go with the next highest rated guy which is Alexander. If Gutekunst follows Thompson's lead of not picking short corners then Alexander won't be the pick (5-10 1/4). But I think Gutekunst will really focus on speed at WR and DB in this draft, and Alexander seems to have the best combination of speed and fluidity among the CBs who are grading this high. But his injury problems from last year worry me, and is another factor that could stear Green Bay in another direction.

2-45 = D.J. Chark/WR/Louisiana State

3-76 = Tavarius Moore/S/Southern Mississippi

4-101 = Cole Madison/OT/Washington State

4-133 = Dorance Armstrong Jr./OLB/Kansas

5-158 = Genard Avery/ILB/Memphis

5-172 = Alex Cappa/OT/Humboldt State

5-174 = Avonte Maddox/CB/Pittsburgh

6-186 = Jordan Thomas/TE/Mississippi State

6-207 = Jester Weah/CB/Pittsburgh

They may not pick a Badger, but at least here they get a Wisconsin player as Weah played his high school ball at Madison Memorial.

7-232 = Jamiyus Pittman/DT/Central Florida

7-239 = Cole Reyes/S/North Dakota

I would be surprised if Gutekunst took the 5'10" Alexander, after re-affirming his belief in the Ron Wolf height/size metrics for DB's. Ward is borderline at 5'11" and just 183lbs, but probably in consideration. James for sure fits the profile at 6'3" and 212, but I don't think he gets past Tampa Bay at 7. If James does slip, they should be on the phone with SF or Oakland for Pick 9 or 10 if he made it that far. Washington sitting at #13 is kind of a problem because their needs are pretty similar to our own.
Gruber Lawffices

I don't follow any college football at all. The only name I know in the draft is Mayfield and only because for a month or two I couldn't escape him.

Without doing any draft homework at all I hope they can get more pass rush with the first rounder. No clue how deep that is this year but it can never be oversupplied on a modern NFL roster. As bad as the secondary talent is, an impact rusher will do more to help both areas than a rookie in the secondary.

So, if that's possible, a pass rusher, please.

I would be very surprised if the Packers spent the draft capital necessary to move up earlier in the first round to get a player who may not be a complete player at that position.

Ward has questions about whether he is big enough to play the boundary. He can be an excellent slot corner, but you can find good slot corners in the 3rd/4th. Ward is a guy you take if he's BPA at #14, but not the type of guy you spend the picks to move up to get in the first.

Same with Davenport - questions about position (can he play OLB, or is he just a DE in a 4-3) and level of competition (he didn't dominate - 8.5 sacks and 17 TFLs are very good, but not what I call dominating at that level). Not the guy you give up picks to move up to get, but you take him if he's BPA at your pick.

I'm more confident that Landry and to a lesser extent Josh Jackson and Roquan Smith are complete players at their position; while not tall, Landry has long arms and you don't need to be 6'5" to be a great pass rusher. Matthews and Perry are both 6'3"; Landry is 6'2".

If the Packers spend the capital to move up, it's because a guy like Chubb or Tremaine Edmunds is there at #9 or #10 because he doesn't have the questions that guys like Ward and Davenport have.

BTW - Edmunds is the guy I had as "If he's still available" in the 1st, but he was gaining a lot of helium at the time and thought no way he'd last until #9/10 much less 14.

If the Packers spend the capital to move up, it's because a guy like Chubb or Tremaine Edmunds is there at #9 or #10 because he doesn't have the questions that guys like Ward and Davenport have.

My thoughts exactly. If they move up, I want it to be because a guy like Chubb or Edmunds, arguably the best players at their position and with a huge gap to the second-tier prospects behind them, are falling.

Archived