Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 4/8 - Mudcats Play Two, Sky Sox Idle

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Welcome back, for 2018!

For consolidation (and my own sanity), the opening sequence of each Link Report going forward is going to be cut down significantly. Darn, no more weather reports! (Example from last August of what I had been doing for years).

However, all the same info will still be provided in the opening post, just with a cleaner way to maneuver, and much easier for yours truly for the next five and a half months.

I will rely on the daily organizational schedule posted by MiLB.com. It is at that link where you get your starting pitchers, game times (keep in mind the time zone listed for each game, as in the past, I had converted everything to Central Time for you). You will also find your MiLB.TV links (subscription strongly suggested) via that scoreboard page, and of course the box scores and game logs once games are underway.

I am aware that the listed starting pitchers on the MiLB.com page can be unreliable (not the pitchers themselves of course, the listings). I will add an extra post if I know from other sources who the "TBD" is, or if a listed pitcher is incorrect. But I will also rely on you, our posters, to update us within the Link Report. You will be providing the update more often than I will, including tonight!

Feel free to indicate any postponement updates as well. Thanks in advance.

Once games go final, we hope to still provide you on a daily basis, a post for each game that includes final score and links to the affiliate-provided game summaries. Then, in the early morning hours, where we really earn our generous salaries, look for newspaper and TV news reports and other info that came out while you were sleeping. As always, our hope is you can get your entire overnight fix during breakfast.

Thanks as we begin our 18th season of doing this, it has certainly evolved over time.

The text above will appear in each Link Report through this Sunday 4/8, then will be removed as we all get used to the new lean format.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Links for affiliate audio

Have great seasons Dan and Erik in Colorado Springs, Garrett as he jumps up from Helena to Biloxi, Greg in Carolina, and Chris in Appleton!

Media notes, standings, and sortable stat pages

The entire local TV Timber Rattlers broadcast schedule

The first TV game is Wednesday April 18th.

Must-follows for you on Twitter -- In addition to the affiliate Twitter accounts, please follow:

@BrewersFarm

@BrewCrewBlue

Believe me, the way they supplement any coverage and links we might be able to provide is invaluable.

On the bright side, Gilbert Lara with two hits including a home run today. Maybe all is not lost.

Carolina the anti-Brewers, scoring five runs on only two hits in the first half of the doubleheader.

Erceg off to a torrid start, and Jankins with a gem.

Daniel Brown with two huge strikeouts of top prospects Blake Rutherford and Gavin Sheets to make it a minor league sweep today, which was much needed.

Community Moderator
Very nice start to the season for RHP Thomas Jankins. Skipping over High-A this year appears to have been an important vote of confidence from the Brewers staff. Still just 22 years old, Jankins is more than two years younger than the league’s average pitcher age and he is the third youngest pitcher on the Biloxi roster behind only Kodi Medeiros (21) and Luis Ortiz (22).
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Final: Biloxi 8, Montgomery 2

Biloxi Box Score

Thomas Jankins led Biloxi to an 8-0 shutout victory by allowing only four hits and a walk over seven innings. Brad Kuntz tossed two scoreless innings to preserve the shutout. Biloxi bats pounded out 11 hits - including three home runs - and walked nine times. The Shuckers scored in six different innings.

Batting

Dylan Moore: 3-4, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, BB, SB

Lucas Erceg: 3-4, 2B, RBI, BB

Trent Grisham: 1-5, HR

Jake Gatewood: 1-5, HR

Pitching

Thomas Jankins: 7.0 IP, 4 hits, 0 ER, 1BB, 6K, Win

Brad Kuntz: 2.0 IP, 2 hits, 0 ER, 0BB, 3K

Notes

Erceg is hitting .474 to start the season.

Corey Ray has struck out 10 times in his first 20 plate appearances, while Troy Stokes Jr. has struck out 9 times in 19 appearances.

Biloxi Game Log

Carolina 5, Winston-Salem 2

Carolina 2, Winston-Salem 0

Timely Hits Lead Mudcats in Doubleheader Sweep of Dash

The sweep lifted the Mudcats into a three games to one series victory to open the season

Carolina Box Score Game 1

Nathan Kirby 2 1/3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K

Victor Diaz 3 2/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 4 K (Win)

Jon Olczak Save

Tucker Neuhaus 1-2

Max McDowell 1-3

Carolina Game 1 Log

Carolina Bottom of the 5th

Ronnie Gideon pops out to shortstop Yeyson Yrizarri.

Weston Wilson walks.

Luis Aviles Jr. reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by shortstop Yeyson Yrizarri. Weston Wilson to 2nd.

Max McDowell singles on a fly ball to right fielder Alex Call. Weston Wilson scores. Luis Aviles Jr. to 3rd.

Ryan Aguilar reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by pitcher Dylan Cease. Luis Aviles Jr. scores. Max McDowell to 2nd. Missed catch error by catcher Nate Nolan, assist to pitcher Dylan Cease.

Dallas Carroll walks. Max McDowell to 3rd. Ryan Aguilar to 2nd.

Keston Hiura hit by pitch. Max McDowell scores. Ryan Aguilar to 3rd. Dallas Carroll to 2nd.

Tucker Neuhaus out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Alex Call. Ryan Aguilar scores. Dallas Carroll to 3rd.

Pitching Change: Matt Foster replaces Dylan Cease.

With Clint Coulter batting, wild pitch by Matt Foster, Keston Hiura to 2nd.

Clint Coulter walks.

Ronnie Gideon walks. Dallas Carroll scores. Keston Hiura to 3rd. Clint Coulter to 2nd.

Weston Wilson flies out to right fielder Alex Call.

Carolina Box Game 2

Tucker Neuhaus 1-3

Ronnie Gideon 1-3, 2B

Conor Harber 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 3 K

Luke Barker 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Daniel Brown 2/3 IP, Save, 2 K

Carolina Game 2 Log

Final: Wisconsin 4, Beloit 2

Rattlers Get Into the Win Column

Wisconsin beats Beloit 4-2 to close out homestand

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

cut.jpg

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "The Timber Rattlers beat Beloit 4-2 on Sunday afternoon and Chris & Kyle have plenty to discuss. There are also plenty of interviews including: Gilbert Lara, Payton Henry, Nelson Hernandez, Tristen Lutz, & Matt Erickson."

Wisconsin Box Score

The offense woke up a little Sunday afternoon, netting 8 hits and raising the team batting average to .173. Tristen Lutz and Gilbert Lara each notched their first home run of the year. Lara, who also added a single to make him the only Rattler this season with a multihit game besides Pat McInerney, played third base again. That's twice in two games, perhaps portending to a full time move off of short.

Nelson Hernandez made his inaugural A-ball appearance and threw six strong innings, albeit with a lone strikeout. I've mentioned in the past that while you have to like the pitch-to-contact walk limiting profile, he does not appear to me to have an out pitch in his repertoire. We'll see if he can develop one, whether that might be his changeup or slider, as the season moves on. Following Hernandez, UK-born Michael Petersen and 2017 UDFA Gabe Friese made their full season debuts as well, holding the Snappers in check over the final three innings. Petersen has a real interesting arm, while Friese was arguably the Brewers' best short season pitcher last year.

Wisconsin Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

VIDEO via WLOX: Trent Grisham's opposite field HR

More Erceg VIDEO -- Double

Shuckers' Erceg collects three more hits

Brewers No. 4 prospect plates run, continues torrid start; ranks sixth in the Southern League with a .474 batting average through four games.

By Marisa Ingemi / MiLB.com

Quotes within...

Archived