Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-07: Cubs (Darvish) at Brewers (Davies) 3:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone in the clubhouse needs to tear into these guys and explain to them that little league defense won't cut it. Is Arcia still a rookie? When is he ever going to do anything worth a damn? If he is gonna pathetically flail at everything at the plate, he sure as hell better make up for it with his glove, but he doesn't. This is one of the most pathetic starts to a season I have ever seen. Could easily be 1-8. Unreal.

Besides his approach at the plate another thing that Arcia does that I don't care for is he is a ball hog. Every ball in play isn't his responsibility. When he air-mailed that ball to Thames in the 9th it appeared to me that Shaw had the better angle.

At some point all the mental mistakes are going to doom Counsell and the rest of the coaching staff. Whether that is "fair" or not, I don't know. But if the franchise turns a corner and seems ready to truly make a run in 2019-2021, Stearns might clean house prior to that.

As it is, right now this team just isn't all that good. It was a weird, perplexing offseason and the decision to not bring in free agent pitching might prove smart in the long run, but in the short run the Brewers are not ready for prime time.

I remember when Counsell was hired I wondered - what credentials did he have to be a major league manager? I was in the minority who wasn't thrilled with his hire.

When a team keeps making the same boneheaded mistakes it appears from here that this team isn't very disciplined and their approach to hitting leaves a lot to be desired. This team has decent talent and shouldn't be screwing up like this. You don't see teams like the Cards and Cubs play like this. They don't commit multiple errors and they make pitchers work - force the pitcher to throw strikes and put the ball in play. I think I'm gonna watch the Masters this afternoon instead...

At some point all the mental mistakes are going to doom Counsell and the rest of the coaching staff. Whether that is "fair" or not, I don't know. But if the franchise turns a corner and seems ready to truly make a run in 2019-2021, Stearns might clean house prior to that.

As it is, right now this team just isn't all that good. It was a weird, perplexing offseason and the decision to not bring in free agent pitching might prove smart in the long run, but in the short run the Brewers are not ready for prime time.

I remember when Counsell was hired I wondered - what credentials did he have to be a major league manager? I was in the minority who wasn't thrilled with his hire.

He still doesn't. Don't get me wrong I like Counsell and think he's good for the team. But when you have a long-term manager I think it really takes years for their legacy to be defined. And a guy can be right for the situation and clubhouse one year and then 3 years later with different personnel not be the right guy.

I remember when Ron Roenicke got hired here and won 96 games and a division many fans thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and assumed he'd be on everyone's short list if we ever let him go. Then several years went by and for whatever reason things got stale and we had to move on. As far as I know he hasn't even been seriously considered or interviewed for any managerial vacancies since then much less landed one.

Actually, I think there were a lot of us scratching our heads with his hiring.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived