Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Saturday 4/7 - Wisconsin Home Opener, Sky Sox Play Two Again

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Welcome back, for 2018!

For consolidation (and my own sanity), the opening sequence of each Link Report going forward is going to be cut down significantly. Darn, no more weather reports! (Example from last August of what I had been doing for years).

However, all the same info will still be provided in the opening post, just with a cleaner way to maneuver, and much easier for yours truly for the next five and a half months.

I will rely on the daily organizational schedule posted by MiLB.com. It is at that link where you get your starting pitchers, game times (keep in mind the time zone listed for each game, as in the past, I had converted everything to Central Time for you). You will also find your MiLB.TV links (subscription strongly suggested) via that scoreboard page, and of course the box scores and game logs once games are underway.

I am aware that the listed starting pitchers on the MiLB.com page can be unreliable (not the pitchers themselves of course, the listings). I will add an extra post if I know from other sources who the "TBD" is, or if a listed pitcher is incorrect. But I will also rely on you, our posters, to update us within the Link Report. You will be providing the update more often than I will, including tonight!

Feel free to indicate any postponement updates as well. Thanks in advance.

Once games go final, we hope to still provide you on a daily basis, a post for each game that includes final score and links to the affiliate-provided game summaries. Then, in the early morning hours, where we really earn our generous salaries, look for newspaper and TV news reports and other info that came out while you were sleeping. As always, our hope is you can get your entire overnight fix during breakfast.

Thanks as we begin our 18th season of doing this, it has certainly evolved over time.

The text above will appear in each Link Report through this Sunday 4/8, then will be removed as we all get used to the new lean format.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Links for affiliate audio

Have great seasons Dan and Erik in Colorado Springs, Garrett as he jumps up from Helena to Biloxi, Greg in Carolina, and Chris in Appleton!

Media notes, standings, and sortable stat pages

The entire local TV Timber Rattlers broadcast schedule

The first TV game is Wednesday April 18th.

Must-follows for you on Twitter -- In addition to the affiliate Twitter accounts, please follow:

@BrewersFarm

@BrewCrewBlue

Believe me, the way they supplement any coverage and links we might be able to provide is invaluable.

Mass....thanks again to you and the others who manage these threads. I've been coming here everyday during baseball season for almost 15 years.

I really appreciate all you do - it makes Brewers baseball fandom even better. For each person that thanks you, there is 100 more that don't take the time. We are grateful.

Mass....thanks again to you and the others who manage these threads. I've been coming here everyday during baseball season for almost 15 years.

I really appreciate all you do - it makes Brewers baseball fandom even better. For each person that thanks you, there is 100 more that don't take the time. We are grateful.

THIS! Thank you!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Final: Beloit 10, Wisconsin 1

Wisconsin Falls to Beloit in Home Opener

Snappers cool off Rattlers 10-1

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

cut.jpg

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "Here is the Papa John’s Pizza Postgame Podcast. Kyle & I discuss the game, the weather, the positives, and have post-game audio clips from Pat McInerney, Matt Erickson, & Jenri Montas."

Wisconsin Box Score

The Rattler lineup is still thawing out after many of the group are experiencing Wisconsin and snow and stuff for the first time. Nine hits through their first 20 innings, 4 runs and not enough offensive support for the pitching. I didn't watch the whole game, but the bits of the game I did see featured a lot of short ABs and nondescript pop flyballs. But nothing to worry about for now. Pat McInerney is the offense right now as the 2017 undrafted free agent out of the University of Illinois has three doubles and a home run through two games.

Starter Alec Bettinger retired the first two batters via strikeout, but things went downhill after that as the Snappers scattered around 8 hits, walked 4 times and tagged Bettinger for 4 runs in 2 2/3 innings. One of my favorite Rattler pitchers is Robbie Hitt, and he relieved Bettinger but gave up another few runs himself. 21 year old Dominican Jenri Montas made his stateside debut and pitched two scoreless, hitless innings in relief though his command was extremely shaky and got a few outs on well struck balls.

Wisconsin Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final, Game One: Omaha 2, Colorado Springs 1

Final, Game Two: Colorado Springs 3, Omaha 2

Chasers earn doubleheader split against Colorado Springs, but biggest win is playing at all

By Tony Boone / Omaha World-Herald staff writer

Omaha and Colorado Springs split a pair of one-run games in their second doubleheader in three days. But the real winner was the Werner Park grounds crew, who turned a snowy, icy field into a playable one.

In a matter of hours, they transformed it from winter white to spring green, allowing the PCL teams to squeeze in two games before the next storm front moves in — and also thrilling manager Brian Poldberg.

“When I walked in this morning about a quarter to 8 (o’clock) and the field was snow-covered, I was a little concerned at that point,” he said. “When I got done throwing (batting practice) at 11:30, I went up and left field was starting to melt. By 1 o’clock, it looked like there was no question we were going to play.”

With Sunday’s game already moved ahead and cold weather expected again for Monday morning’s series finale, completing two games Saturday alleviated potential scheduling issues down the road. The Sky Sox don’t return to Omaha until the final home series of the season; a postponed game would wait until then.

“If it hadn’t gotten above freezing, we wouldn’t have played,” Poldberg said. “I was glad. If we didn’t get these in, there was a chance Monday. But to get these two in were big for the rest of the year for us.”

The Storm Chasers opened Saturday’s twin bill with a walk-off 2-1 victory, their first of the season. Catcher Nick Dini homered in the third inning then started the game-winning rally in the seventh with a single.

Poldberg then turned to Terrance Gore to pinch run after the one-out hit. The speedy outfielder promptly stole second and then scored on Humberto Arteaga’s single to right.

Colorado Springs outfielder Tyrone Taylor’s throw to the plate was decent, but not in time to get Gore.

“He and Billy (Burns) are the two guys that can score on that,” Poldberg said. “To have the ability to be able to steal a base and get in scoring position — and then be able to score — it’s a good weapon to have.”

The run made a winner out of Eric Stout and put Omaha in position to even the series with a sweep. The Sky Sox, however, picked up their third victory in four games, 3-2 on an unearned run in the nightcap.

With runners in scoring position and one out in the fifth, former Omaha Royal Andres Blanco broke a 2-2 tie when he raced home after Chasers right fielder Logan Moon dropped the ball while transferring it to his throwing hand after catching a pop fly for the second out. Blanco wasn’t running until the ball fell.

The second game was filled with missed opportunities for both clubs. The Sky Sox left 10 runners on base while Omaha stranded eight, including two in scoring position in the fourth when it was still 2-2.

Ryan O’Hearn drove in both runs for the Chasers, recording RBI singles in the first and third innings. Shane Opitz had a two-run double for Colorado Springs in the second and scored on a Blanco groundout.

None of the starting pitchers in the doubleheader factored in a decision.

Omaha managed 16 hits in the twin bill after tallying only four — by two hitters — in Thursday’s two games.

“We need the heart of the order to get going,” Poldberg said. “But not just two guys got hits in the two games, so we started to spread it out a little. As we get going, guys are going to be more comfortable.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Colorado Springs Game One Box Score/Game Log

RHP Corbin Burnes' line shined, as you'll see at the link.

Ji-Man Choi and Brett Phillips each walked twice. Keon Broxton and Andres Blanco each singled and walked. Tyrone Taylor had two hits, including:

Col. Springs Top of the 4th

Brett Phillips strikes out swinging.

Jacob Nottingham strikes out swinging.

Tyrone Taylor homers (1) on a fly ball to left field.

Mauricio Dubon pops out to first baseman Ryan O'Hearn.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The two teams are set to complete their five-game series at Werner Park with a Monday matinee. First pitch is scheduled for 11:05 AM CT.

Colorado Springs Game Two Box Score/Game Log

Big-time bullpen work among the three relievers, 3.1 IP (7 K's, 1 BB), check out the link.

RHP Radhames Liz stranded two for RHP Bubba Derby; Derby limited the damage to two runs while allowing eight hits and not fanning a batter over 3.2 innings.

Ji-man Choi doubled and walked twice in the seven-inning contest. Brett Phillips walked twice and has walked seven times in four games thus far. Christian Bethancourt and Tyrone Taylor each singled and walked.

Col. Springs Top of the 2nd

Christian Bethancourt strikes out swinging.

Tyrone Taylor walks.

Shane Opitz doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Terrance Gore, deflected by right fielder Logan Moon. Tyrone Taylor scores.

With Kyle Wren batting, wild pitch by Andres Machado, Shane Opitz to 3rd.

Kyle Wren walks.

With Keon Broxton batting, wild pitch by Andres Machado, Kyle Wren to 2nd.

Keon Broxton walks.

Andres Blanco grounds out, third baseman Hunter Dozier to first baseman Frank Schwindel. Shane Opitz scores. Kyle Wren to 3rd. Keon Broxton to 2nd.

Ji-Man Choi strikes out swinging.

Col. Springs Top of the 5th

Andres Blanco singles on a line drive to right fielder Logan Moon.

Ji-Man Choi walks. Andres Blanco to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Richard Lovelady replaces Josh Staumont.

Nate Orf out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Hunter Dozier to second baseman Ramon Torres. Andres Blanco to 3rd. Ji-Man Choi to 2nd.

Brett Phillips walks.

Christian Bethancourt flies out to right fielder Logan Moon. Andres Blanco scores. Fielding error by right fielder Logan Moon.

Tyrone Taylor grounds into a force out, shortstop Jack Lopez to second baseman Ramon Torres. Brett Phillips out at 2nd.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Biloxi 5, Montgomery 2

Four Early Runs Help Shuckers to 5-2 Win

Ray Homers, Medeiros tosses 5.0 scoreless

All the details from Garrett at the link above, yeah Kodi!

Box Score / Game Log

Medeiros 81-48

Three walks in five innings, but this is going to be Kodi, we've seen it coming. Amazing unhittable stuff, and when the pitches miss out of the zone, the stuff plays enough that he should be able to subsequently strand those walks. So he doesn't profile as a one-inning reliever, deserves to be more than a loogy, yet will struggle with pitch counts as an otherwise effective starter. So much to build on, though!

RHP Josh Uhen walked all three batters he faced, an uncharacteristic debut.

Blake Allemand was perfect as the designated hitter, 3-for-3 with a walk. LF Troy Stokes, Jr. also reached four times, building on a strong career .358 OBP with a .467 OB after three games. Lucas Erceg, Trent Grisham and Wendell Rijo were each on base twice.

Biloxi Top of the 2nd

Blake Allemand walks.

With Dylan Moore batting, passed ball by Mac James, Blake Allemand to 2nd.

Dylan Moore grounds out, first baseman Dalton Kelly to pitcher J. Martin. Blake Allemand to 3rd.

Dustin Houle out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Thomas Milone. Blake Allemand scores.

Wendell Rijo grounds out, pitcher J. D. Martin to first baseman Dalton Kelly.

Biloxi Top of the 3rd

Corey Ray homers (1) on a fly ball to right field.

Troy Stokes Jr. walks.

Lucas Erceg singles on a line drive to center fielder Thomas Milone. Troy Stokes Jr. to 2nd.

Jake Gatewood grounds into a double play, shortstop Jermaine Palacios to second baseman Nick Solak to first baseman Dalton Kelly. Troy Stokes Jr. to 3rd. Lucas Erceg out at 2nd.

Trent Grisham singles on a ground ball to shortstop Jermaine Palacios. Troy Stokes Jr. scores.

Blake Allemand singles on a line drive to center fielder Thomas Milone. Trent Grisham to 3rd.

Dylan Moore singles on a line drive to left fielder Nathan Lukes. Trent Grisham scores. Blake Allemand to 2nd.

Dustin Houle grounds out, shortstop Jermaine Palacios to first baseman Dalton Kelly.

Biloxi Top of the 7th

Troy Stokes Jr. walks.

With Lucas Erceg batting, passed ball by Mac James, Troy Stokes Jr. to 2nd.

Lucas Erceg grounds out, second baseman Nick Solak to first baseman Dalton Kelly. Troy Stokes Jr. to 3rd.

Jake Gatewood called out on strikes.

With Trent Grisham batting, wild pitch by Matt Krook, Troy Stokes Jr. scores.

Trent Grisham walks.

Blake Allemand singles on a line drive to left fielder Nathan Lukes. Trent Grisham to 2nd.

Dylan Moore strikes out swinging.

Burnes was Burnes. Great start from Medeiros too, really good to see.

This... Burnes Kodi Brown Supak with great opening starts. Lopez holding down the closer role in CS makes me think he's matured... he was a disaster there before. Houser Williams (Peralta?) are great options in the future of the pen but Lopez might be cementing his spot on that list too.

Archived