Brewer Fanatic

Knebel to DL - Latest: 5/8, back in Milwaukee, return to 25-man TBD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey @Brewers, Corey Knebel looks just fine. He just tossed a seven-pitch 1-2-3 inning with a strikeout in the top of the seventh at MGM Park...just in time for us to roll out the barrel in Biloxi! #MadeInBiloxi #Brewers

Biloxi twitter

I wonder once Knebel returns, does he get cemented back in that traditional "closer" role to pitch the 9th when the Brewers are leading and he's available no matter what? Or, do the Brewers wanna go the the George Castanza route and get nuts with the bullpen - just add Knebel to the mix of guys like Hader and Jeffress and depending on the game situation have them continue going for multiple inning appearances and putting the emphasis on the best relievers pitching high leverage situations instead of having to wait for certain innings to arrive before bringing them into a ballgame.

Had the back end of the pen imploded more following Knebel's injury, he'd definitely be back in the true closer role (1st week or so after he went down they couldn't nail a save down to save their lives) - but it's obviously stabilized and how they've been using key relievers has actually strengthened it.

It's a great question and I have wondered it as well. I anticipate they put Knebel in the traditional role, but I hope I'm wrong. One thing that I have liked is that CC appears to have pitchers go back into the game if they are pitching well. I have also read that it's harder on relief pitchers to get up and down as opposed to working multiple innings.

I wonder once Knebel returns, does he get cemented back in that traditional "closer" role to pitch the 9th when the Brewers are leading and he's available no matter what? Or, do the Brewers wanna go the the George Castanza route and get nuts with the bullpen - just add Knebel to the mix of guys like Hader and Jeffress and depending on the game situation have them continue going for multiple inning appearances and putting the emphasis on the best relievers pitching high leverage situations instead of having to wait for certain innings to arrive before bringing them into a ballgame.

Had the back end of the pen imploded more following Knebel's injury, he'd definitely be back in the true closer role (1st week or so after he went down they couldn't nail a save down to save their lives) - but it's obviously stabilized and how they've been using key relievers has actually strengthened it.

I'd guess he'll be back in the closer role, and the rest of the guys get bumped an inning. Instead of throwing innings 8 & 9 or 7, 8 & 9, they'll go 7 & 8 or 6, 7 & 8. That bumps the weakest performers who would have pitched the 6th or 7th inning, while keeping the better guys throwing the same amount they're currently working.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member

I'd guess he'll be back in the closer role, and the rest of the guys get bumped an inning. Instead of throwing innings 8 & 9 or 7, 8 & 9, they'll go 7 & 8 or 6, 7 & 8. That bumps the weakest performers who would have pitched the 6th or 7th inning, while keeping the better guys throwing the same amount they're currently working.

I'll be very happy to see Barnes bumped down a notch. I just don't trust him in high pressure situations.

Might be back in the closer role with a "Hader exception" clause?

That's what I envision. It all depends on who is rested, game situation, etc. But I can see times where Hader pitches the 8th (or part of the 8th) and just stays in to close the game in the 9th. Especially at first, since I'm sure they won't want to press Knebel too hard for his first month or so back.

But it's pretty clear they are committed to being flexible with the pen. For example, I could see times where Hader is used from the 6th-8th innings in a game where the Brewers have a 1 run lead. You can call that "middle relief" and technically that's true, but it's far from a mop-up role in that situation.

It is extremely satisfying knowing that Matt Albers is your 6th inning guy.

I wonder if they go with this "role-less" bullpen they have been using since Knebel went out. Imagine being able to use Knebel whenever you want instead of just he ninth knowing you have any number of guys that can lock it down. Keep everyone pitching multiple innings in fewer appearances really seems to be working.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

In the bullpen, it seems to me that Knebel, Barnes and Williams are 3 guys that you really want to start clean innings, as they each seem to have a bit of a tendency towards walking people. So, in my mind, they aren't guys to really take over too often in the 5th or 6th, where you are likely coming in to clean up a mess. Knebel probably comes back as primarily closer, but I do have a feeling that the roles will still be more flexible than they were last year.

It is extremely satisfying knowing that Matt Albers is your 6th inning guy.

I wonder if they go with this "role-less" bullpen they have been using since Knebel went out. Imagine being able to use Knebel whenever you want instead of just he ninth knowing you have any number of guys that can lock it down. Keep everyone pitching multiple innings in fewer appearances really seems to be working.

That's what I'd do. Forget the defined roles. Go with everything situationally. I don't like the idea of automatically going to Hader in the 8th and Knebel in the 9th and burn Hader on the bottom of a lineup in the 8th and then save Knebel for the top of a lefty heavy lineup in the 9th.

They've done so much better since Knebel went out, and I know that isn't BECAUSE he went out but likely has a lot to do with the situational approach.

At the very least, the progression of Hader and Jeffress should allow Counsell to avoid stretches where Knebel is called on to close games 4 out 5 days like he did four times last year. And 3 consecutive days can probably be avoided as well.

I wouldn't rule out Knebel in the 8th and Hader in the 9th some nights if the opponent is RH heavy in the 8th and LH heavy in the 9th. Granted, both those guys are pretty immune to splits, but every little advantage counts.

Verified Member
In the bullpen, it seems to me that Knebel, Barnes and Williams are 3 guys that you really want to start clean innings, as they each seem to have a bit of a tendency towards walking people. So, in my mind, they aren't guys to really take over too often in the 5th or 6th, where you are likely coming in to clean up a mess. Knebel probably comes back as primarily closer, but I do have a feeling that the roles will still be more flexible than they were last year.

Jefress is certainly the top choice to come in with runners on, which is probably why he hasn't seen many save opportunities.

Gotta be either Lopez or Williams going back down + Sogard getting DFA'd, right? I mean, it sure as heck better not be something else that winds up with 4 2B options on the roster that all probably aren't any good. The board may need to go offline for a few days to prevent excessive cursing if Sogard is still in the dugout for tonight's game...

Archived