Brewer Fanatic

Knebel to DL - Latest: 5/8, back in Milwaukee, return to 25-man TBD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Houser, sweet. Totally out of left field. Thought for sure it would be Williams or Hoover.

There are at least 4-5 names that I would have guessed before Houser. Definitely a surprise, I know the guy has decent stuff...but I don't see how he's a better option than Williams. I feel like Williams is to the Brewers as Jeff Janis is to the Packers.

This smells like "We know what Williams can do, good opportunity to get a closer look at Houser." I'm good with it, Williams will be up again soon enough. Either him or Hoover will be up probably by the end of the weekend. Yelich to 15 day DL or one of Aguilar/Sogard/Perez has to go.

This smells like "We know what Williams can do, good opportunity to get a closer look at Houser." I'm good with it, Williams will be up again soon enough. Either him or Hoover will be up probably by the end of the weekend. Yelich to 15 day DL or one of Aguilar/Sogard/Perez has to go.

I'm ok with it too. It could have been Guerra and the news would have put me to sleep. Houser coming up is exciting.

Not to nitpick ya, but 10 day DL now. If Yelich goes to the DL it's important we keep Perez as our backup CF. Sogard or Aguilar woudl be first to go, though it's hard to justify dumping Aguilar with how he's hit so far.

Houser, sweet. Totally out of left field. Thought for sure it would be Williams or Hoover.

There are at least 4-5 names that I would have guessed before Houser. Definitely a surprise, I know the guy has decent stuff...but I don't see how he's a better option than Williams. I feel like Williams is to the Brewers as Jeff Janis is to the Packers.

Except Janis is no good.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Houser is certainly a surprise - but it shows how highly the team thinks of him. If he's the guy the team thinks best fits - then so be it. Get him up and going.

By the end of the year I could see a bullpen of Knebel (hoping he's back), Barnes, Houser, Williams and Hader. That's a lot of high octane arms. Add in Albers and Jeffress and Logan and Jennings. That should be pretty solid.

Let's hope we don't have any more injuries going forward.

I think it comes down to Houser being stretched out to start, so he can go multiple innings and he didn't pitch yesterday, like the other options. They're probably thinking Woodruff may not go deep in his first start.

Williams pitched yesterday, Houser didn't. It was only 11 pitches but I would guess it has more to do with Houser certainly being available tonight while Taylor might not. Geography might play into it too if Taylor could get to Milwaukee by gametime and Williams couldn't.

Except Janis is no good.

And plays for the Browns :)

I'm cool with this.

Williams pitched yesterday, Houser didn't. It was only 11 pitches but I would guess it has more to do with Houser certainly being available tonight while Taylor might not. Geography might play into it too if Taylor could get to Milwaukee by gametime and Williams couldn't.

I don't think that should be a huge concern. Only Jennings and Barnes pitched yesterday, and Jennings only threw 16 pitches. I would think Hader, Albers, Drake, Jennings, and Jeffress are all available today. Having a 6th arm available I can't imagine is a huge concern. I suspect they think Houser is more prepared to pitch at the mlb level than Williams. The Brewers generally must see something they like in Houser, I felt like he's been a club favorite since we traded for him.

i think the move of bringing Houser up is to add another long man that can go 3-4 innings if necessary moreso than replacing Knebel in late inning appearances - he'll essentially be replacing Woodruff's role now that 5 starters are needed. With the way starters have struggled to open the year, longman is a critical role to avoid the pen getting flamed now that offdays are going to get sparse.

Yup, and Hoover pitched too. I'd bet Houser pitches once, and is then replaced by a fresh arm. I wouldn't mind the team rotating 3 pitchers with options all year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

This. Guerra and Williams pitched yesterday, Houser has not pitched yet - he's fresh and can go multiple innings.

They think highly of Houser - like Williams, there's a reason they kept him on the 40-man despite not being able to pitch for two years.

Curious move but two things factored in. As some said, he's stretched out and they needed coverage for extra inning games, and the fact Knebel could get back in under 60 days so no roster opening for Hoover. Yet. Williams can use a little more seasoning and the guy they added wasn't getting thrown into high leverage situations. Don't be shocked if they replace Hauser with Guerra in 4-5 days and if Drake can't handle added work, they replace him with Hoover.

At the time of the Gomez/Fiers trade, Phillips and Houser were considered the two more highly regarded prospects the Brewers received, with Santana and Hader appearing more like talented lotto tickets.

If Houser stays healthy he's a mlb caliber arm that probably can be a starter

At the time of the Gomez/Fiers trade, Phillips and Houser were considered the two more highly regarded prospects the Brewers received, with Santana and Hader appearing more like talented lotto tickets

I guess I don't know how this ever got started and why it keeps getting repeated because it just isn't and was never true.

Phillips was a top 50 or so prospect and definitely the crown jewel of the trade. No argument there, but Santana wasn't really much behind. Very young MLB ready bat who was a top 100 prospect in his own right. And Hader wasn't that far behind as a top 10 organizational prospect in a very loaded Astros system.

Houser wasn't even closely regarded to those three. If you don't want to call him a throw-in, that's fine, but if there was one in this trade he was definitely it. He had upside, but didn't sniff the Astros prospects lists at the time. He was a very low top 30 in ours post-2015 season, pre surgery.

Not saying he can't end up being a huge piece and surpass what expectations were at the time. But there's no doubt he was the 4th most valued piece of the Gomez/Fiers trade at the time it was made.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/7/30/9076935/milwaukee-brewers-net-huge-return-in-carlos-gomez-trade

Houser was regarded comparably to Trey Supak right now..... former 2nd pick, solid but not dominant. He was clearly, and by good margin the last & bottom piece of the 4. Luckily, as soon as he got off the plane, a switch flipped & he was just outstanding until injury!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived