Brewer Fanatic

2018 Minor League Transaction Thread

Add Braden Webb to the list of promotions. He's on his way to Biloxi.

In addition to Braden Webb, fellow RHP Conor Harber promoted from Carolina to Biloxi.

1B Pat McInerney placed on Carolina’s DL.

Harber's walks/9 and K/9 by month (small sample alert):

April - 7.23, 11.6

May - 4.28, 7.3

June - 3.66, 3.6

July - 3.45, 6.6

August (11.2 IP) - 0.00, 10.0

As a starter - 2.95

Trend is going in the right direction, and it speaks to his development process this year and shows why he earned the promotion.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Rattlers Game --

K.J. Harrison replaced Payton Henry behind the plate to start the bottom of the 6th as Henry exited, not sure exactly why.

So Henry landed on the Wisconsin Temp Inactive List on Wednesday, and backup catcher Brent Diaz was shuttled back to the Timber Rattlers from Helena (likely from their "paper roster".)

Guessing that Henry is injured in a minor way, but you've got to carry a second catcher, and this way, if Henry needs less than seven days to heal, he'll be back sooner.

This is another indication why each affiliate in essence always has an "inactive" bullpen catcher with the team, available to be activated as needed.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP's Tim Dillard and Michael Brady placed on the AAA 7-day DL (each retro to 8/13)in order to welcome back RHP's Aaron Wilkerson and Jacob Barnes.

Erik Davis' stay (prior post) retro to 8/15.

At Biloxi, RHP Danny Reynolds hits the DL to make room for RHP Trey Supak, activated from the same list.

To say that MiLB allows the Brewers to be liberal in their moves simply to maintain depth would be an understatement. Surely other organizations do so, but not sure if to the extent Milwaukee does.

If nothing else, it certainly sets the pecking order, which isn't a big mystery to most.

RHP's Tim Dillard and Michael Brady placed on the AAA 7-day DL (each retro to 8/13)in order to welcome back RHP's Aaron Wilkerson and Jacob Barnes.

Erik Davis' stay (prior post) retro to 8/15.

At Biloxi, RHP Danny Reynolds hits the DL to make room for RHP Trey Supak, activated from the same list.

To say that MiLB allows the Brewers to be liberal in their moves simply to maintain depth would be an understatement. Surely other organizations do so, but not sure if to the extent Milwaukee does.

If nothing else, it certainly sets the pecking order, which isn't a big mystery to most.

Interesting footnote to the Brady and Davis DL placements. Both were very openly unhappy about it in the bullpen yesterday. Erik's done with Milwaukee and already has his agent making calls to other organizations.

Interesting footnote to the Brady and Davis DL placements. Both were very openly unhappy about it in the bullpen yesterday. Erik's done with Milwaukee and already has his agent making calls to other organizations.

I would think this is fairly common in other organizations, particularly in AAA where the difference in pay between that and the next level is enormous (min ~$500K vs. $80K if they have ML experience, maybe less if they don't). Guys who feel like they should get a chance are going to be pissed, especially this late in the year.

That being said, we've seen this movie before in the Brewers system particularly since Stearns took over. Not just these guys this year, but given Wren's departure you think that he had to be unhappy and perhaps that came to a head. And then you go back to Cravy, Scahill, the non-callup of Jungmann, and I think one other guy had an issue last year.

I have absolutely ZERO proof of this, but there's a fair amount of smoke to suggest that communicating where players stand and what they need to do to get an opportunity is not the strength of the Brewers right now. It's not like the Brewers have a tough staff to crack - they've used 26 pitchers this season, and used 29 last season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
RHP's Tim Dillard and Michael Brady placed on the AAA 7-day DL (each retro to 8/13)in order to welcome back RHP's Aaron Wilkerson and Jacob Barnes. Erik Davis' stay (prior post) retro to 8/15.

The agent mention by Davis is interesting considering what we heard in mid-May:

AUDIO via the Sky Sox Soundcloud: "Dan Karcher gets to know Erik Davis, who has provided valuable innings out of the Sky Sox bullpen"

How fragile are extended pro baseball careers? Davis acknowledges the Brewers were the only organization to have formal interest in him this past offseason.

I would think this is fairly common in other organizations, particularly in AAA where the difference in pay between that and the next level is enormous (min ~$500K vs. $80K if they have ML experience, maybe less if they don't). Guys who feel like they should get a chance are going to be pissed, especially this late in the year.

That being said, we've seen this movie before in the Brewers system particularly since Stearns took over. Not just these guys this year, but given Wren's departure you think that he had to be unhappy and perhaps that came to a head. And then you go back to Cravy, Scahill, the non-callup of Jungmann, and I think one other guy had an issue last year.

I have absolutely ZERO proof of this, but there's a fair amount of smoke to suggest that communicating where players stand and what they need to do to get an opportunity is not the strength of the Brewers right now. It's not like the Brewers have a tough staff to crack - they've used 26 pitchers this season, and used 29 last season.

Sssssttttrrreeeeeettccccccchhhhhhh

I wish I could have heard clearly more of what they were saying but the bolded part was a lot of it. Many of the guys there were not fans of a certain person in the front office, both the new guys to the organization and guys that have been with the Brewers for awhile (I think I know who they were talking about but can't say with 100% certainty who it is and I won't throw a name out there without knowing for sure, but it's not Stearns though). There was a general amount of disgust with the Brewers organization by the players. Barnes was in on the conversation but quite clearly keeping his mouth shut on the subject. It was quite fascinating to eavesdrop in on.

Catching up on a couple of transactions from the past few days.

8/15 Carolina Mudcats activated OF Joantgel Segovia from the 7-day disabled list

8/15 Carolina Mudcats placed RHP Wuilder Rodriguez on the 7-day disabled list

8/17 Colorado Springs Sky Sox placed C Dustin Houle on the temporarily inactive list

8/18 Colorado Springs Sky Sox activated 3B Andres Blanco from the 7-day disabled list

8/19 OF Larry Ernesto assigned to AZL Brewers from DSL Brewers

8/20 C Andres Melendez assigned to AZL Brewers from DSL Brewers.

8/20 Biloxi Shuckers activated RHP Zack Brown from the 7-day disabled list

8/20 Biloxi Shuckers placed RHP Conor Harber on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to August 17, 2018

8/20 AZL Brewers released RHP Yosmer Leal

8/21 Colorado Springs Sky Sox placed RHP Aaron Wilkerson on the temporarily inactive list

8/22 Milwaukee Brewers optioned CF Keon Broxton to Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Here's the press release about the newest Mudcat --

AIRHOGS’ DILLON THOMAS PURCHASED BY BREWERS

The contract of Texas AirHogs’ OF Dillon Thomas has been purchased by the Milwaukee Brewers, the American Association announced on Tuesday..

Thomas carried the AirHogs, batting .333 with 13 home runs, 54 RBIs and 14 stolen bases. At the time his contract was purchased, the Houston Texas native was first in the league in doubles (37), second in OPS (1.021), first in slugging (.601), and third in OBP (.420).

Thomas originally began his professional career in 2011 after being drafted in the fourth round of the 2011 MLB Draft by the Colorado Rockies. The left handed slugger spent seven seasons in the Rockies’ organization before signing with Texas in the offseason. He is the 17th American Association player to be purchased by an MLB organization since the end of the 2017 season.

http://www.americanassociationbaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/43324003991_eb3ee152b5_k-e1534874319773-324x200.jpg

Catching up on a couple of transactions from the past few days.

8/15 Carolina Mudcats activated OF Joantgel Segovia from the 7-day disabled list

8/15 Carolina Mudcats placed RHP Wuilder Rodriguez on the 7-day disabled list

8/17 Colorado Springs Sky Sox placed C Dustin Houle on the temporarily inactive list

8/18 Colorado Springs Sky Sox activated 3B Andres Blanco from the 7-day disabled list

8/19 OF Larry Ernesto assigned to AZL Brewers from DSL Brewers

8/20 C Andres Melendez assigned to AZL Brewers from DSL Brewers.

8/20 Biloxi Shuckers activated RHP Zack Brown from the 7-day disabled list

8/20 Biloxi Shuckers placed RHP Conor Harber on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to August 17, 2018

8/20 AZL Brewers released RHP Yosmer Leal

8/21 Colorado Springs Sky Sox placed RHP Aaron Wilkerson on the temporarily inactive list

8/22 Milwaukee Brewers optioned CF Keon Broxton to Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Some additional catch up:

C Moises Perez activated off of Wisconsin's 7-day DL and transferred to the AZL.

Pitchers Junior Montero, Oscar Castaneda, and Rafael Garcia were signed as international free agents to 2019 contracts.

As noted in the link report threads, RHPs Ariel Vega and Victor Vasquez were activated from the DSL's 60-day DL. Both were assigned to the main DSL Brewers squad.

OF Quintin Berry released from Colorado Springs as a result of the Clint Coulter promotion from Biloxi.

OF Rob Henry placed on Carolina's 7-day DL, while RHP Wuilder Rodriguez was activated from the same DL.

RHP Johan Dominguez promoted from the AZL to Helena.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

At Biloxi, LHP Cam Roegner lands on the 7-day DL, while RHP Danny Reynolds is activated from the same list.

Roegner's injury happened Thursday, and darn it, I am so done with pitchers batting already. I was a holdout for a long time, but the Guerra / Nelson / Anderson 2017 Brewers injuries just finally knocked me to my senses.

Biloxi Bottom of the 3rd

Max McDowell pops out to second baseman Taylor Featherston.

Cameron Roegner strikes out swinging.

Corey Ray flies out to center fielder Jose Siri.

Pensacola Top of the 4th

Pitching Change: Cody Ponce replaces Cameron Roegner, batting 9th.

The announcer at Biloxi's WXXV was having some fun with it here, but certainly didn't realize the awkward swing prompted an exit. Granted, even Roegner walked off with a smile, but that sure looked like one of those oblique swings (total conjecture on my part).

You can find the video along with other game highlights from Thursday at this link.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Pitchers Junior Montero, Oscar Castaneda, and Rafael Garcia were signed as international free agents to 2019 contracts.

Castaneda works out of an independent training academy in Mexico, and similar to MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez' tweet about RHP Mario Perez back on July 4th, Castaneda has no formal affiliation with the professional Mexican League, and thus was eligible for the Crew to sign. MLB has placed a moratorium on signing professional Mexican League players while improprieties in that system are worked out.

Here's Castaneda, you can follow (and translate) the Twitter thread above and below this link.

Is this a relative of Helena Brewers RHP Victor Castaneda? Victor was one of the last Mexican League players signed by MLB when the Crew purchased his contract last summer.

DhYeuhXUwAEvWbZ.jpg

Archived