Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thursday 4/5 - Sky Sox Play Two (and Win Two) on Opening Night

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Welcome back, for 2018!

For consolidation (and my own sanity), the opening sequence of each Link Report going forward is going to be cut down significantly. Darn, no more weather reports! (Example from last August of what I had been doing for years).

However, all the same info will still be provided in the opening post, just with a cleaner way to maneuver, and much easier for yours truly for the next five and a half months.

I will rely on the daily organizational schedule posted by MiLB.com. It is at that link where you get your starting pitchers, game times (keep in mind the time zone listed for each game is the time zone where the game is being played. In the past, I had converted everything to Central Time for you). You will also find your MiLB.TV links (subscription strongly suggested) via that scoreboard page, and of course the box scores and game logs once games are underway.

I am aware that the listed starting pitchers on the MiLB.com page can be unreliable (not the pitchers themselves of course, the listings). I will add an extra post if I know from other sources who the "TBD" is, or if a listed pitcher is incorrect. But I will also rely on you, our posters, to update us within the Link Report. You will be providing the update more often than I will, including tonight!

Feel free to post any postponement updates as well. Thanks in advance.

Once games go final, we hope to still provide you on a daily basis, a post for each game that includes final score and links to the affiliate-provided game summaries. Then, in the early morning hours, where we really earn our generous salaries, look for newspaper and TV news reports and other info that came out while you were sleeping. As always, our hope is you can get your entire overnight fix during breakfast.

Thanks as we begin our 18th season of doing this, it has certainly evolved over time.

The text above will appear in each Link Report through this Sunday, then will be removed as we all get used to the new lean format.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Sky Sox play two tonight.

Links for affiliate audio

Have great seasons Dan and Erik in Colorado Springs, Garrett as he jumps up from Helena to Biloxi, Greg in Carolina, and Chris in Appleton!

Media notes, standings, and sortable stat pages

The entire local TV Timber Rattlers broadcast schedule

The first TV game is Wednesday April 18th.

Must-follows for you on Twitter -- In addition to the affiliate Twitter accounts, please follow:

@BrewersFarm

@BrewCrewBlue

Believe me, the way they supplement any coverage and links we might be able to provide is invaluable.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I did not reach out to past "Link Reporters", but we are always willing to share the workload here. I am always hesitant to require volunteerism, even among old friends, so...

If you are interested in returning on any basis, full-time, near full-time, part-time, or occasional fill-in, please contact me through our forum's Private Messaging functionality. Same thing goes for newcomers if you'd like to give a try at providing a final score, linking to an affiliate game summary, and adding in any tidbits of your own that you pick up in the box score or game log.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

UPDATE: Carolina has been assigned on a full-time basis.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
McDowell has thrown out 4 runners trying to steal and picked off a runner at first... it's the 5th inning.

Now if he can just hit a little bit...

Thanks for doing this Mass, we don't mind the abbreviated format.

+1 Best part of BF.net is right here.

McDowell has thrown out 4 runners trying to steal and picked off a runner at first... it's the 5th inning.

Now if he can just hit a little bit...

Actually managed a couple of nice looking drives too. Fingers crossed, since anything serviceable at the plate will get him moving up.

On a negative note, still not seeing it from Diplan. Still only 21, so maybe he figures it out.

Carolina 6, Winston-Salem 5

Four run eighth leads Mudcats to 6-5 opening night victory

Coulter, Aviles Jr. and McDowell each had two hits in Carolina's comeback win

cut.jpeg

The Mudcats won their 18th straight against Winston-Salem at Zebulon, including going 13-0 last year. The Mudcats are experimenting with Cooper Hummel, placing him in the outfield. He is still considered a catcher but McDowell will be getting most of the playing time there. The Hummel-Aguilar-Coulter outfield looks like a softball outfield compared to Stokes-Harrison-Ray. The first pitch was hit directly at Hummel and it glanced off his glove for a double but he did make a couple of decent running catches later on.

Marcos Diplan (5 2/3 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 3 K) got the start and couldn't make it out of the 6th. Luke Barker followed and retired all 4 men he faced, including two strikeouts. Nattino Diplan (1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K) got the win although he was not very effective. Jon Olczak got the save pitching a scoreless ninth.

Dallas Carroll (1-3, 2 BB, 1 RBI) looked good in the leadoff spot. Clint Coulter (2-4, 2B), Luis Aviles (2-4, SB) and Max McDowell (2-4, 2B) all had two hits in the win. As mentioned, McDowell threw out 3 for 3 runners attempting to steal and picked a man off first to save Marcos Diplan some outs. Not a good day for Keston Hiura. He was the DH today and was 0-5 with 3 K's.

Carolina Box Score

Carolina Game Log

Here's the 8th inning rally:

Carolina Bottom of the 8th

Pitching Change: Zach Thompson replaces Kyle Kubat.

Tucker Neuhaus singles on a ground ball to left fielder Blake Rutherford.

Clint Coulter singles on a ground ball to right fielder Alex Call. Tucker Neuhaus to 2nd.

Cooper Hummel singles on a ground ball to right fielder Alex Call. Tucker Neuhaus to 3rd. Clint Coulter to 2nd.

Weston Wilson grounds out, shortstop Yeyson Yrizarri to first baseman Gavin Sheets. Tucker Neuhaus scores. Clint Coulter to 3rd. Cooper Hummel to 2nd.

Luis Aviles Jr. grounds out, third baseman Ti'Quan Forbes to first baseman Gavin Sheets. Clint Coulter scores.

Max McDowell singles on a line drive to right fielder Alex Call. Cooper Hummel to 3rd.

With Ryan Aguilar batting, wild pitch by Zach Thompson, Max McDowell to 2nd.

Ryan Aguilar reaches on a fielding error by first baseman Gavin Sheets. Cooper Hummel scores. Max McDowell to 3rd.

Dallas Carroll singles on a ground ball to center fielder Luis Alexander Basabe. Max McDowell scores. Ryan Aguilar to 2nd.

Keston Hiura strikes out swinging.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final, Game One: Colorado Springs 3, Omaha 1

Final, Game Two: Colorado Springs 4, Omaha 0

SKY SOX TAKE OPENING SERIES DOUBLEHEADER IN OMAHA

By Shane Philipps / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

With the Sky Sox on the road, an interesting "notes" summary put together by Shane linked above, take a peek to kick off this year's coverage.

From the Omaha team site --

Colorado Springs center fielder Keon Broxton tallied four hits in a 3-1 game one win, while Sky Sox pitchers combined for a two-hit shutout in a 4-0 nightcap victory to complete a doubleheader sweep on Thursday evening at Werner Park.

The Sky Sox brought home two runs in the sixth to take a 2-1 lead. Broxton then crushed his first big fly of the year in the seventh to cap the scoring at 3-1. Colorado Springs starter Junior Guerra (5.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) earned the win and Taylor Williams (1.0 IP) notched his first save, while Omaha righty Kevin McCarthy (1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 K) suffered the defeat.

The Sky Sox struck quickly in game two of the double header, plating two in the first inning starting with LF Kyle Wren's RBI single. Colorado Springs would tack on single tallies in both the third and sixth innings to bring the game to the eventual final score 4-0.

Sky Sox starter Freddy Peralta (5 IP, 1 H, 6 K) earned the victory. Colorado Springs relievers J.J. Hoover (0.2 IP, H), Michael Brady (0.1 IP) and Jorge Lopez (1.0 IP, BB) combined for the final two frames to complete the shutout.

The Chasers continue their season-opening five-game homestand against the Sky Sox on Saturday afternoon, with first pitch at Werner Park set for 2:05 p.m. CT.

Remember, both games were seven-inning affairs.

Game One Box / Log

Well, Keon wasn't moping, was he? Brett Phillips tripled and walked. Two doubles for Jacob Nottingham. Veteran newcomer Andres Blanco was 0-for-4 with two GIDP's in his Brewers' debut. SS Mauricio Dubon, who had a bit of a sloppy big league camp, committed his first error, but Junior Guerra then did this:

Omaha Bottom of the 2nd

Frank Schwindel reaches on a throwing error by shortstop Mauricio Dubon.

Tyler Collins walks. Frank Schwindel to 2nd.

Logan Moon strikes out swinging.

Humberto Arteaga flies out to left fielder Tyrone Taylor.

Nick Dini strikes out swinging.

Pretty lines for Guerra, Mike Zagurski, and Taylor Williams.

For all the moaning about pitching in Colorado Springs, let's remember that the majority of Sky Sox road games are in much more friendly locales -- Omaha, Iowa, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans. A possible (likely?) move to Fresno next year won't make the overall PCL experience much more friendly.

Down 1-0 after five innings:

Col. Springs Top of the 6th

Pitching Change: Kevin McCarthy replaces Jonathan Dziedzic.

Nate Orf singles on a ground ball to first baseman Ryan O'Hearn.

Ji-Man Choi strikes out swinging.

With Brett Phillips batting, wild pitch by Kevin McCarthy, Nate Orf to 2nd.

Brett Phillips triples (1) on a line drive to center fielder Billy Burns. Nate Orf scores.

Jacob Nottingham doubles (2) on a sharp ground ball to shortstop Ramon Torres, deflected by third baseman Hunter Dozier. Brett Phillips scores.

Tyrone Taylor called out on strikes.

Christian Bethancourt grounds out softly, pitcher Kevin McCarthy to first baseman Ryan O'Hearn.

Col. Springs Top of the 7th

Pitching Change: Seth Maness replaces Kevin McCarthy.

Mauricio Dubon grounds out to first baseman Ryan O'Hearn.

Keon Broxton homers (1) on a fly ball to right field.

Andres Blanco grounds out, shortstop Ramon Torres to first baseman Ryan O'Hearn.

Nate Orf grounds out, third baseman Hunter Dozier to first baseman Ryan O'Hearn.

Game Two Box / Log

Oh my, Freddy Peralta (thank you, Adam Lind!).

Nottingham walks and singles as the DH, Phillips walked twice, nice.

How they scored --

Col. Springs Top of the 1st

Keon Broxton walks.

With Kyle Wren batting, wild pitch by Trevor Oaks, Keon Broxton to 2nd.

Kyle Wren singles on a line drive to left fielder Logan Moon. Keon Broxton scores.

Nate Orf flies out to center fielder Terrance Gore.

Ji-Man Choi doubles (1) on a ground ball to right fielder Tyler Collins. Kyle Wren to 3rd.

With Brett Phillips batting, wild pitch by Trevor Oaks, Kyle Wren scores. Ji-Man Choi to 3rd.

Brett Phillips strikes out swinging.

Jacob Nottingham grounds out, second baseman Jack Lopez to first baseman Frank Schwindel.

Col. Springs Top of the 3rd

Nate Orf flies out to center fielder Terrance Gore.

Ji-Man Choi flies out to center fielder Terrance Gore.

Brett Phillips walks.

Jacob Nottingham singles on a soft fly ball to right fielder Tyler Collins. Brett Phillips to 3rd.

Shane Opitz singles on a line drive to left fielder Logan Moon. Brett Phillips scores. Jacob Nottingham to 2nd.

Christian Bethancourt singles on a line drive to center fielder Terrance Gore. Shane Opitz out at 3rd on the throw, center fielder Terrance Gore to shortstop Ramon Torres to third baseman Hunter Dozier.

Col. Springs Top of the 6th

Pitching Change: Josh Staumont replaces Richard Lovelady.

Jacob Nottingham walks.

Shane Opitz called out on strikes.

Christian Bethancourt strikes out swinging.

Mauricio Dubon doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Logan Moon. Jacob Nottingham scores.

With Keon Broxton batting, Mauricio Dubon steals (1) 3rd base.

Keon Broxton strikes out swinging.

Infielder Gabriel Noriega the lone Sky Sox position player not to see action in the twinbill.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Underway with a win: Observations from Mudcats opening night

by Samuel Evers, Rocky Mount Telegram

Two photos at the link as well...

“I grabbed (McDowell) after the game. Being an ex-catcher, being around the game a long time, all the games I’ve seen behind the plate, how he handled the pitchers,” (Manager Joe) Ayrault said. “He was locked in. Outstanding game behind the plate. He’s a gamer, a baseball player. When he came in we knew he was a good defensive player.”

On Keston Hiura --

“He’s been around the game long enough to know tomorrow’s a new day. That’s what’s great about this game,” Ayrault said. “We get one, two days off. He’ll be out there banging tomorrow.”

Full article at the link above.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As also posted in our season-long Mudcats feature article archive thread --

Mudcats pitcher Trey Supak eyes bright future

By PATRICK MASON, Rocky Mount Telegram

"A big donkey", says Joe Ayrault

Full article a fine read, includes this info we hadn't seen previously:

Supak was drafted by the Pirates with the 73rd overall pick in 2014, but had been on the Brewers’ radar. The major league club called Supak on draft day to express interest in drafting the pitcher out of La Grange High School in Texas.

The Brewers, instead, drafted Monte Harrison who Milwaukee later flipped to the Marlins for big league outfielder Christian Yelich. But the Brewers still kept tabs on Supak, and when the opportunity to snag Supak in a trade popped up with the Pirates in 2015, they went in and got their man that slipped away on draft day.

“I got a call from them on draft night, but they took Monte Harrison,” Supak said. “It was a great pick, honestly, he’s got a lot going for him and was a great teammate last year. But it’s nice knowing you’re wanted somewhere as well when they traded for me.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Frosty Microbrew: New, Returning Rattlers Ready for Opening Day

By Kyle Lobner / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "It was the day before the 2018 season and all through the Park....In this edition of the Rattler Radio Podcast Chris Mehring & Kyle Lobner have audio from Timber Rattlers Media Day with Tristen Lutz, Matt Erickson, KJ Harrison, Demi Orimoloye, & Bowden Francis. Also, Kyle gets to ask Chris questions about Minor League Spring Training! Plus, a lot more in the final podcast before the start of the new season!"

NOTE FROM KYLE (Patreon Link): "Even with my new feature story and yesterday's podcast, there was a lot from @TimberRattlers Media Day that I didn't get to share. For my Patreon supporters I have half an hour of Media Day audio featuring Tristen Lutz, KJ Harrison and much more"

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Beloit 4, Wisconsin 3, 11 innings

Snappers Sink Rattlers in Eleven Innings

Chris Mehring

Chris saves us so much work with his wonderfully detailed summaries. Do yourself a favor and click above.

Oh, bunt-fest in extra innings. Gilbert Lara had the unsuccessful attempt.

You know the environment here. We focus on the positives whenever we can. That being said, I hope Lara invested that huge $3M bonus wisely...

Box / Log

Weather: 33 degrees, snow. Yikes.

Six walks, but 14 K's for Wisconsin batters.

First baseman Pat McInerney home run and double (as you just read), also on base twice DH K.J. Harrison (two walks), RF Demi Orimoloye (single, walk), LF Joantgel Segovia (single, HBP) and 2B Franly Mallen (two walks).

Defense --

Beloit Bottom of the 5th

Trace Loehr flies out to left fielder Joantgel Segovia.

Jake Lumley singles on a ground ball to second baseman Franly Mallen.

Mickey McDonald singles on a ground ball to center fielder Tristen Lutz. Jake Lumley to 3rd.

Nick Allen doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Joantgel Segovia. Jake Lumley scores. Mickey McDonald out at home on the throw, left fielder Joantgel Segovia to shortstop Trever Morrison to catcher Payton Henry.

Austin Beck strikes out swinging.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Montgomery 3, Biloxi 2

Error In Seventh The Difference On Opening Day

Erceg Doubles Twice and Ortiz tosses 5.0 innings in 3-2 Defeat

Biloxi Shuckers Game Summary

Garrett's first Biloxi detailed game summary, nice job...

Nice Corey Ray catch at the wall via Albert Cesare of the Montgomery Advertiser

636585623287079525-040518BiscuitsVsShuckersSeasonOpener05.jpg

Luis Ortiz

636585624648959525-040518BiscuitsVsShuckersSeasonOpener10.jpg

VIDEO Highlights via WXXV

Box Score / Game Log

Shuckers drew seven walks, but fanned 15 times (see Wisconsin update above).

The five players who combined to walk six times, none had a base hit. The four players who combined for the six Shucker hits (Lucas Erceg with three), none of them walked.

Archived