Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-05: Cubs (Lester) at Brewers (Suter) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose 8-0; Knebel down w/injury]

Eye Black
What an awful game made way worse by that horrific looking Knebel injury. Get Williams and Hoover on a plane to MKE, ASAP. Also, let's hope the Crew shows up fired up ready to go tomorrow night. Really need a W and a well played game after this debacle.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've played SEVEN games and the Chicken Little "sky is falling" posts have started already. That's gotta be a record for Brewerfan, no?

OK, that's enough. They were just shut out in back-to-back games by the Cards and Cubs, and lost their All-Star closer. Be quiet.

And? The Dodgers were shut out in back to back games and have Jansen playing like crap. The point is the same. It's two games, in the FIRST week of the season. Are we really going to live and die on EVERY pitch? It's just so damn tiring with the negative posts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What an awful game made way worse by that horrific looking Knebel injury. Get Williams and Hoover on a plane to MKE, ASAP. Also, let's hope the Crew shows up fired up ready to go tomorrow night. Really need a W and a well played game after this debacle.

Talk about a complete opposite extreme from Tuesday night. Baseball is such a wonderful terrible game.

We've played SEVEN games and the Chicken Little "sky is falling" posts have started already. That's gotta be a record for Brewerfan, no?

OK, that's enough. They were just shut out in back-to-back games by the Cards and Cubs, and lost their All-Star closer. Be quiet.

And? The Dodgers were shut out in back to back games and have Jansen playing like crap. The point is the same. It's two games, in the FIRST week of the season. Are we really going to live and die on EVERY pitch? It's just so damn tiring with the negative posts.

LOL, the game threads may not be the place for you then. I get that the negatives posts are tiring, but in the last 27 hours at least, they have been completely warranted. Also, it isn't like these games count any less than those in September.

Can someone fill me in on what happened with Knebel / lie to me and tell me it's nothing major, just a precaution. Can't watch the games in Texas.

Threw a strike and collapsed in a heap on the mound holding his lower left hamstring. Trainers basically had to carry him off.

Maybe he was just tired.

"Dock that man a day's pay for nappin' on the job."

Dang, man. If you aren't negative after back-to-back shutouts from our rivals, getting trounced by the Cubs at home, seeing every single starting pitcher struggle to start the season, losing Yelich to injury and losing Knebel for a significant amount of time....all in one week, kudos to you.

The rest of us experience normal emotions.

McCalvy already saying Knebel to the DL with tests on Friday to see how bad the injury is. It is his hamstring, which everyone who saw it probably knew.

While that sucks big time, if there is one area of this team where an injury like that could be absorbed, it was in the back end of the pen. They finally have a bunch of hard-throwing horses at both the ML level and in AAA that will hopefully be able to pick up the slack

LOL, the game threads may not be the place for you then. I get that the negatives posts are tiring, but in the last 27 hours at least, they have been completely warranted. Also, it isn't like these games count any less than those in September.

No, but we're also guaranteed to lose 60+ games. That's a given. There are absolutely gonna be spells of losing just as there are gonna be spells of winning consecutive games. The fact that we were shut out in two of seven games causes this overreaction is ridiculous.

I don't really care that we have played poorly the last couple of days. I will say that the lack of additions to the starting rotation kept us on the outside looking in for the playoffs and an early season major injury to a part of our team that I think is somewhat weak makes our playoff odds nosedive because they weren't amazing to begin with.

Are you watching the games? They've fallen behind by 4 runs or more in 4 straight games. Their closer is headed to the DL, possibly for the season and they are back to their old ways of boneheaded play and not making contact. The manager is way too lax. The hitting coach should have been fired a long time ago. In short this kind of play is unacceptable. Period. Good news is there's time to make changes before it's a total loss.

Why are they showing a Kris Bryant lovefest commercial on Fox Sports Wisconsin to advertise the FS1 game? Seriously. I think baseball is trying to make me break things tonight.

This is like that family guy episode where Stewie is excited for baseball to start and the season ends on the opening pitch.

No, but we're also guaranteed to lose 60+ games. That's a given. There are absolutely gonna be spells of losing just as there are gonna be spells of winning consecutive games. The fact that we were shut out in two of seven games causes this overreaction is ridiculous.

If you think that's why people are overreacting, then you're not paying attention. The starting pitching has been awful, defense has been very sloppy and the bullpen just got significantly weaker.

Are you watching the games? They've fallen behind by 4 runs or more in 4 straight games. Their closer is headed to the DL, possibly for the season and they are back to their old ways of boneheaded play and not making contact. The manager is way too lax. The hitting coach should have been fired a long time ago. In short this kind of play is unacceptable. Period. Good news is there's time to make changes before it's a total loss.

I just keep thinking of the Monty Python Black Knight skit.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't want to stir the pot too much, but for those of you who were able to watch the game on TV, was there any mention of Knebel warming up in the pen prior to his entrance into the game? I'm sure he got some warm up tosses in the bullpen, but I wonder with the game situation what it was if Knebel assumed around the 5-6th inning that his day was going to be limited to spitting sunflower seeds and didn't get himself stretched/warmed up in preparation to come into tonight's game.

99% sure a torn hammy is a freak thing for a pitcher to suffer - but one would think an injury like this would happen more frequently to a guy that just spent 3 hours sitting on a chair that got a call from the dugout in the bottom of the 8th telling him to get loose because he's going to get some game work in the 9th. I frankly just don't like the adage and see no benefit of getting a key late inning reliever work in a game that's not a save or hold situation "to keep him sharp" - more often than not the pitcher's mentality and approach is different leading into that inning of work, and you have no way of knowing whether you'll need that reliever the next 3-4 straight games.

I don't want to stir the pot too much, but for those of you who were able to watch the game on TV, was there any mention of Knebel warming up in the pen prior to his entrance into the game? I'm sure he got some warm up tosses in the bullpen, but I wonder with the game situation what it was if Knebel assumed around the 5-6th inning that his day was going to be limited to spitting sunflower seeds and didn't get himself stretched/warmed up in preparation to come into tonight's game.

99% sure a torn hammy is a freak thing for a pitcher to suffer - but one would think an injury like this would happen more frequently to a guy that just spent 3 hours sitting on a chair that got a call from the dugout in the bottom of the 8th telling him to get loose because he's going to get some game work in the 9th. I frankly just don't like the adage and see no benefit of getting a key late inning reliever work in a game that's not a save or hold situation "to keep him sharp" - more often than not the pitcher's mentality and approach is different leading into that inning of work, and you have no way of knowing whether you'll need that reliever the next 3-4 straight games.

More likely he just had a hammy that was ready to pop. He had the appropriate warm up time.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Be quiet.

Wow.

No one here deserves to be called a Chicken Little. Regardless of how pessimistic or optimistic you are.

The irony was just too much for me. I had a really good laugh. That’s all.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No, I don't watch the games I just comment on Twitter posts. *sigh*

Way to cherry-pick though.You mention boneheaded plays this game when other games of the SEVEN so far have been a fielding clinic. We haven't made contact these last couple games but were crushing the ball early in the week. Two huge come from behind wins is also pretty clutch, I'd say. All I'm asking for is a tiny bit of perspective.

I would surely hope that Knebel knew he'd be getting into this game regardless of the situation. If I remember right, if he didn't get regular work last year, his breaking stuff lost its bite, and he got smacked around more. I don't have much doubt that him pitching tonight was the plan. It's just a horrible freak thing ... or perhaps his hammy still wasn't completely healed from slipping off that wet mound a few weeks ago in Arizona.

Archived