Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-05: Cubs (Lester) at Brewers (Suter) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose 8-0; Knebel down w/injury]

Eye Black
Suter could be pitching a 1-run gem right now, and it still wouldn't matter, because our vaunted offense can't get anything off horrible, over-the-hill Jon Lester. The starting pitching has been disappointing, but personally, the lack of consistent, sustained offense, given the moves this team made in the offseason, has been a bigger disappointment. Still too many guys swinging for the fences and rally-killing strikeouts. Hopefully the solid approaches brought by Yelich and Cain will eventually rub off on the rest of these guys, but so far, not so good.

The offense has had a couple bad games, the starting pitching has had one good game.

They were shut out yesterday and are on their way to doing the same today. If they do, they'll be averaging 3.7 runs per game. Pitching or no pitching, that's not good enough.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suter could be pitching a 1-run gem right now, and it still wouldn't matter, because our vaunted offense can't get anything off horrible, over-the-hill Jon Lester. The starting pitching has been disappointing, but personally, the lack of consistent, sustained offense, given the moves this team made in the offseason, has been a bigger disappointment. Still too many guys swinging for the fences and rally-killing strikeouts. Hopefully the solid approaches brought by Yelich and Cain will eventually rub off on the rest of these guys, but so far, not so good.

The offense has had a couple bad games, the starting pitching has had one good game.

Save for the 9th inning rally in game 2 against the Padres, offense was bad 2 out of 3 games. Not good against the Cards. This offense is going to need to score more than 4 runs a game for this team to contend.

Oh I agree but the notion that at team has to score x number of runs a game is really and indictment on the quality of the starting pitching. They just have no ability to carry the team when the offense is down. As you noted, the offense does have that ability when the pitching is down. The rotation is clearly the problem here.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Do I get my Brewer fan card taken away because I flipped over to watch Jersey Shore for a few minutes? I must be really interested in train wrecks tonight.

Hard to blame you. Watching this team get shut out by the Cubs' worst starter (by a wide margin) is pretty disgusting to watch. Come on boys, three more ups to turn this thing around.

Well, at least Aguilar is making a case for more playing time.

Keep him. Bye bye Sogard or Perez. Can only stomach one of those guys.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm going to say it --when we need the roster spot, don't put Aguilar on waivers. Put Perez on them. If he gets claimed, so be it, we save 2 million bucks. If not, send his butt to AAA.

I'm not worried at all about losing him. If we really need another infielder it's not like Perez to Dubon is going to be a big difference.

My preference would be to do that with Sogard but he can refuse to go to AAA and no one is going to take him off our hands for $2.4M.

I really hate that Arcia doesn’t cut down his swing with two strikes. It’s just selfish and not smart baseball.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Aguilar gets a hit ... back-to-back-to-back Ks by Perez, Arcia, and bandy, who must think they are power hitters. It doesn't seem to matter who is in the line-up for this team, or the year, but as soon as they pull on that blue Brewer jersey, they swing it like they are Sammy Sosa. All of them. Every year. And that just sucks.

I swear, if Cain and Yelich start hacking away, I'm going to question whether there is something in the water at Miller Park.

I really hate that Arcia doesn’t cut down his swing with two strikes. It’s just selfish and not smart baseball.

Seemed like he was doing it last week. Maybe Villar had a talking with him, "son, how can you hit a HR if you don't take a huge swing on every pitch? Look at me, I once hit 19 HR is a season, if I only would have swung harder at every pitch I would have probably hit 20"

Seemed like he was doing it last week. Maybe Villar had a talking with him, "son, how can you hit a HR if you don't take a huge swing on every pitch? Look at me, I once hit 19 HR is a season, if I only would have swung harder at every pitch I would have probably hit 20"

Villar is one of the few that have actually had a decent approach the last few games.

Santana seems better defensively this year to me for the most part, based off nothing but the eye test there. But he saved a double there with his arm and I've seen him make a nice play or two.

I was disappointed that they didn't dump Darnell Coles after last season. I won't pretend to know the nuances of his job, but any schlub should be able to get 4.5 runs out of this offense. I don't see what he brings to the table at all.

Santana seems better defensively this year to me for the most part, based off nothing but the eye test there. But he saved a double there with his arm and I've seen him make a nice play or two.

Santana is young, uber athletic and has a cannon for an arm. There is really absolutely no reason from him to be as bad in the outfield as he is. In theory, he is young enough that he can still improve out there. Hopefully he took a look at how much of hack he was out there last year over the offseason, and worked on some things.

Do I get my Brewer fan card taken away because I flipped over to watch Jersey Shore for a few minutes? I must be really interested in train wrecks tonight.

Hard to blame you. Watching this team get shut out by the Cubs' worst starter (by a wide margin) is pretty disgusting to watch. Come on boys, three more ups to turn this thing around.

Cubs worst starter? hmmmm

If that were true, and I don't believe it is, how sad is it that he is better than anything the Brewers are trotting out on a nightly basis?

Ugh, this rotation is going to kill us and I honestly see no end in sight.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If I were facing Arcia I would never throw a strike with my first pitch because OA swings at every first pitch no matter where it is. He is a great defensive SS but a crappy hitter.

Archived