Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-05: Cubs (Lester) at Brewers (Suter) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose 8-0; Knebel down w/injury]

Eye Black

While people are rightfully blaming the pitching, the bats aren't doing enough either. 4 runs a game isn't going to cut it and it would be much less without Braun's late heroics so far.

Coles is a guy that I thought should have had a red hot seat after 2017 and if he can't get it done with the guys he's been given now, something is very wrong.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While people are rightfully blaming the pitching, the bats aren't doing enough either. 4 runs a game isn't going to cut it and it would be much less without Braun's late heroics so far.

Coles is a guy that I thought should have had a red hot seat after 2017 and if he can't get it done with the guys he's been given now, something is very wrong.

The talent is at least there on the hitting to improve as the season goes on, at least our 1-5 with Braun at 1B.

It is not there in the rotation.

So far Junior Guerra having a good outing tonight for Colorado Springs (at Omaha)...

[pre]Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Junior Guerra 5.0 2 1 1 1 5 1 1.80[/pre]

I've been watching that. Was going to wait until he got pulled to comment.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Hard to blame the offense when the other team is staked to a four run lead every night.

True enough, but you're also not going to win any games with 0 runs, which is the count we have put up for the last 13 innings now.

So far Junior Guerra having a good outing tonight for Colorado Springs (at Omaha)...

[pre]Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Junior Guerra 5.0 2 1 1 1 5 1 1.80[/pre]

I've been watching that. Was going to wait until he got pulled to comment.

Keon with a nice night, 3 for 3 to start the season. Your classic quadruple A player.

I'm not sure why anyone expected anything more from Suter - he's a bullpen longman at best, but most likely his professional ceiling is as a starter in the Japanese leagues. His lack of fooling anyone sticks out even worse when the other more established starters on this roster are all struggling to open the year, too. After tonight I think you've gotta switch him out for Guerra in the rotation, shift Suter into the long man bullpen spot

Based on 2 starts this year? He's a career 3.49 ERA through 17 starts. When has he ever been absolutely shelled at the major league level? Even tonight he should have given up 2 runs without the errors and bad decision from Braun. Credit him with maybe 3 at most, that will win more often than not, and he hasn't located well at all even.

I really don't understand the hatred for him from a lot of posters.

I'm not sure why anyone expected anything more from Suter - he's a bullpen longman at best, but most likely his professional ceiling is as a starter in the Japanese leagues. His lack of fooling anyone sticks out even worse when the other more established starters on this roster are all struggling to open the year, too. After tonight I think you've gotta switch him out for Guerra in the rotation, shift Suter into the long man bullpen spot

Based on 2 starts this year? He's a career 3.49 ERA through 17 starts. When has he ever been absolutely shelled at the major league level? Even tonight he should have given up 2 runs without the errors and bad decision from Braun. Credit him with maybe 3 at most, that will win more often than not, and he hasn't located well at all even.

He doesn't throw hard. Obviously.

It's not hatred. It's just the reality that, once hitters learn his tendencies, once there's a book out on him, his stuff is just not going to play well at the MLB level.

You can't get away with 86-87 at this level without consistently perfect command.

Just my opinion -- if, and it's a huge if, but if Suter can survive in the majors, it'll have to be as a long man. When opposing hitters are seeing him once a game, his deception might be enough. When guys see him 2-3 times a game, it's big, big trouble.

Look at Suter's career splits. First time through the order, he does very well.

Second time, he has some struggles.

Third time, he gets absolutely crushed -- a 1.120 OPS against.

No one hates the guy. He seems like a good enough fella. I just don't think he is starting pitcher material. He needs to be in the pen.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Was the plan to honestly give Suter 30 starts this year?

I honestly think he could start 30 times and have a 4.00 ERA at the end of it.

He had a 4.04 ERA as a starter last year. I don't think you'll see that again and certainly not over 30 starts.

Archived