Brewer Fanatic

Charlie Blackmon signs 3 year extension with 2 player options

Gives him a raise this year, pays $21 million for 3 years, a 4th year option for $21, and a 5th year option for $10.

I think this is fair on both sides.

I think Blackmon had some market uncertainty given his age and the fact that people may have not paid him for anywhere near what his offensive stats show.

The Rockies got him before he went to free agency but might be paying their 5th OF $21 million in 2022.

Also a bit misleading since this year is counted in the "6 year extension" headlines.

So Blackmon got 5/94 for his age 32-36 seasons without hitting the open market. The player options make it a little trickier, but that's the guarantee.

Cain got 5/80 on the open market for his age 32-36 seasons.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Looking at this deal it's kind of unique due to the player options. Options are often for the team - not the player.

His 2018 salary essentially stays the same (he was getting $14M, but now gets $12M plus a $2M sinning bonus). So I'm just leaving this year's salary out of the mix. He would have gotten $14M no matter what.

His salary from 2019-21 is $21M annually. He has a player option for $21M in 2022, and then another player option for $10M in 2023. He can make up to $5M more in 2023 based on at bats.

That locks him in at a minimum for $94M over five years - covering 2019-2023. Blackmon turns 32 on July 1, so I'm going to call 2018 his age 32 season - which means his contract potentially goes through his age 37 season.

I guess I'll say that it's a decent deal for Blackmon. With his 2018 salary, he's getting $108M over the next six years - $94M via the extension.

I think the deal is okay for him because there would be several factors that could potentially depress his earnings if he was a free agent this off season. First, he could have a poor year, get hurt, etc. Second, at his age, teams are wary giving out 5+ year contracts. Heck, four year deals are hard to come by. So getting five years is solid. Third, some teams may not value him as much due to hitting so well at Coors Field. His home OPS the last three years: 1.023. His away OPS over the same time frame: .802.

Another big year might have made a difference, but I think the combination of age and Coors Field made it a wise move by Blackmon. Yes, it only takes one team to offer crazy money - but as a lot of guys found out this past winter - those teams are becoming harder and harder to find. With a good 2018, he might have got more - but I'm not sure how much more. This way he locks in his financial and playing future. Knowing he's got a gig until he's 37 years old is a pretty enviable thing in this league.

Archived