Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-04: Cardinals (Martínez) at Brewers (Chacín) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-0]

Eye Black
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thames hit .210 last year in the leadoff spot, and his OPS wasn't that great. He hit .259 in the #2 hole with obviously a better OPS. Why is CC trying to force him into being a leadoff guy? I'm assuming he doesn't think he has options. However, I like Cain in the leadoff spot for now, unless someone else steps up. I'm gonna assume CC knows A LOT more about it than I do and over the next 4-6 weeks he's going to figure out where guys best fit in the lineup, but it sure is frustrating right now with how this lineup has been set up on a few of these games. This is my optimistic appraisal of the situation considering this roster is not ideal. With that said, this type of game isn't going to happen too often this year with this roster(I'm really hoping I'm right about that).

Martinez was on tonight. Two things did stand out to me. Seen Chacin pitch both his starts, not impressed at all. Maybe i was expecting too much, but he is starting to make me long for the days of Wes Obermueller, Matt Kinney, and Chris Narveson! Villar, the bat seems to be coming back, but the defense and decision making is still the same. Bullpen is much improved. Even Drake looked pretty good.

Man watching Martinez walk off after dominating the Brewers makes me jealous. Jealous that the Brewers haven't for the life of them been able to develop high-end starting pitching on a consistent basis. The Cardinals have done that in spades over the years, and that is why they are a successful team.

This honestly comes down to just 2 things. Pitchers park and good defense. Both things that the Brewers have lacked over the years. There are very few teams in hitters parks that are known for their ability to develop high end pitching.

Martinez was on tonight. Two things did stand out to me. Seen Chacin pitch both his starts, not impressed at all. Maybe i was expecting too much, but he is starting to make me long for the days of Wes Obermueller, Matt Kinney, and Chris Narveson! Villar, the bat seems to be coming back, but the defense and decision making is still the same. Bullpen is much improved. Even Drake looked pretty good.

I'll grant you Chris Narveson, but those other 2 really were as bad of pitchers as some people have made it out that most of the starters for the Brewers will be this year. I won't guarantee that Chacin will end the year under 5.00 ERA, but I would be pretty surprised if he has as bad a year as those guys turned in for their Brewer careers.

I'll grant you Chris Narveson, but those other 2 really were as bad of pitchers as some people have made it out that most of the starters for the Brewers will be this year. I won't guarantee that Chacin will end the year under 5.00 ERA, but I would be pretty surprised if he has as bad a year as those guys turned in for their Brewer careers.

I really hope Chase Anderson is the same pitcher he was last year, otherwise we're in for a nightmare season.

Another game not watched, another IGT thread where you'd think it was 8-0. As if, Carlos Martinez isn't on the #1 type of pitcher Nelson is thought of.

The Cubs have been shut out in back to back games by a #5 and a Brandon Woodruff type of prospect in his 5th ever game.

The Dodgers have now been shut out 3 games already this season. A #5, Cueto who's a #1, and Corbin today who's been a #4 the last 2 seasons at best.

We're 4-2 and get to matchup up 4 games vs these poor hitting Cubs.

Woodruff will get his 1st start to the season(his comp in prospect ranking already blanked the Cubs)

Chacin for his numbers, has given up 3HRs on 4 total Flyballs given up in 9IP. 17GBs. He's going to have better starts and luck going forward. The Errors didn't help him.

I'm so glad you can be absolutely right on the roster makeup of this team and it's SP after 2 guys with 1 start, and 2 guys now with 2 starts. Go apply for the GM spot in Milwaukee that's obviously not open.

I think part of the reason people are jumping on the start(s) is that velocity is down. Chacin and Anderson are both down from last year...like 1.5 mph. That could be trouble.

This is the issue. Having a bad game this early can be misleading. Drop off in velocity is not.

We also have to remember that it's early April, and people are comparing velo drops over 1-2 starts to an entire season average from last season. I agree that if after a few more trips through the rotation Anderson and Chacin's velo remains down, that trend is not friendly for them.

While the velocity issue is concerning, I think the bigger issue for starters thus far has been command/location. Anderson's mistakes were over the heart of the plate and the Cards crushed those mistakes. Same with Chacin in both of his starts and Davies as well. None of these pitchers' stuff is good enough to miss often in hitters' happy zones and get away with it, even if their FB's are 1-2 mph faster.

We also have to remember that it's early April, and people are comparing velo drops over 1-2 starts to an entire season average from last season. I agree that if after a few more trips through the rotation Anderson and Chacin's velo remains down, that trend is not friendly for them.

While the velocity issue is concerning, I think the bigger issue for starters thus far has been command/location. Anderson's mistakes were over the heart of the plate and the Cards crushed those mistakes. Same with Chacin in both of his starts and Davies as well. None of these pitchers' stuff is good enough to miss often in hitters' happy zones and get away with it, even if their FB's are 1-2 mph faster.

Kind of. I've looked at season long velocity as well as month to month. Yes it is early, but still bothersome if the trend continues.

Archived