Brewer Fanatic

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2018 Pre-Season Edition

This next one is going to be interesting. Some higher ranked guys struggling (Lutz, Erceg, Grisham), some former top guys resurging (Ray, Gatewood, Diplan), some fringe guys making a move (Brown, Supak, Nottingham, Henry).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a number of things that are going to be really interesting in the next poll. Does the value that the Brewers' bullpen has supplied this year lead to increased support for relievers (Torres-Costa) or projected relievers (Houser)? Are people buying Ray's improved production? Gatewood's power surge? What about the guys who were showing improvements before injuries? Am I going to be the only one putting Zack Brown in the top 10?

On a lower note, with Hiura's promotion and Neuhaus' recent struggles, how many position players from Carolina will get votes? You can make a good case that a 24-year-old repeating the level who needed a recent hot streak to get his OPS above .700 is now the team's best position player prospect.

Same question, given the struggles of Carlos Herrera and recent downturn of Bowden Francis, about the Wisconsin pitching staff?

I’d say Turang slides into the 7-10 range. Due to how raw he is, Gray Jr. more late teens. Bello, Ashby may get votes & compete for last few spots.

I’m not as big as some on ranking recent draft picks high until I see them perform a bit. Like Lutz last year showed he was a top prospect. I expect similar great performance from Turang

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Maybe top 5 in production. He has always had an incredible hit tool. Outside of last year, he’s always been a .340+ type bat. His game is improving & developing. Starting to produce some extra base hits & steal few more bags. When it come to ceiling, I don’t think he is top 5. He has 1 outstanding tool, rest of them are pretty average. I’d have him in top 20 though. See him somewhere between 15-20

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
FanGraphs just did an updated top 131. They had;

21 Keston Hiura

27 Corbin Burnes

76 Tristin Lutz

107 Corey Ray

Hiura and Burnes moved up their rankings. Lutz down slightly. Ray newly added.

I'm a bit surprised Lutz kept that high of a ranking - but they love the guy over there. And he's been playing better after the slow start.

Also surprised Peralta is didn't make things. I'm guessing there are concerns about his command - and ultimate role.

Ray is about where I expect - a borderline Top 100 guy. If he keeps playing well, he'll rise up. But as we've said, he needs to show his ability over a longer time frame to show he's actually improved.

Another thing they noted was that Erceg and Grisham have fallen off their radar, due to approach issues for Erceg and swing and miss issues for Grisham. Again, not a surprise.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-updated-top-131-prospect-rankings/

Peralta being left out doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Again his minor league numbers are strikingly similar to Hader. Command concerns are also the same. He is a dominating pitcher & even doing it in CS. Rest all makes sense. Erceg has not been kid we keep hoping to see & Grisham can walk a ton but eventually needs to hit (still just 21 in AA so time to turn around). Figure there are at least 60 pitchers on the list, are there really 60 pitchers on Peralta’s level? Kid was called up before or right after his 22nd bday. How many 21 year olds fly up the system dominating way he has in clouding in toughest pitcher Park? Can’t tell me not one of those other pitchers has some command questions as well.

I’d say Peralta has worse command issues than Hader ever had just watching him. Still you’d think he would find the Top 131.

Corey Ray I’d wish hit for a little more average than he has shown. The power has really shown up this year and has a very patient approach. Definitely having a turnaround year.

Corey Ray has taken a huge step forward this year, I'm a fan of Lutz, and I'm excited for his future, but there is NO WAY he is a better prospect than Corey Ray.

Ray has more to work on, there's still too much swing and miss, and his defense needs to improve, but his combination of speed, power, and plate discipline is a big deal.

Eric A Longenhagen

3:47 We've considered coding SP and RP differently on the board so this can be searchable but there are obvious problems with projecting guys there who are still starting and being wrong about it. The other pure relief 45 FVs or better I know we've got are: Seranthony, AJ Minter, Zack Burdi, Tanner Rainey, Freddy Peralta

Perhaps why he wasn't on the top 131...

I don’t think they’d have Roegner in the top 531.

Yeah late round 25 year old soft tossers dominating A+ hitters will never get any love by any national media outlets.... heck I still don't even think he is in my Top 30.

Z. Brown reliever.... Peralta reliever.... fangraphs isn't buying future of either of them, I'd disagree

I think there will be a fairly clear-cut top 8 (except for the usual outliers) - Hiura, Peralta, Burnes, Ortiz, Z. Brown, Ray, Phillips, Turang (assuming he signs). Then a somewhat consistent but wildly ranging in order #9-20 where you have Nottingham, Houser, Lutz, Dubon, and then what seems like half of the Biloxi team (Stokes, Medeiros, Gatewood, Supak, Grisham, Erceg, Ponce, Diplan). Then it gets interesting. You have some A-ball guys that tend to get forgotten about (Bickford, N. Kirby, Webb, Orimoloye, Herrera, Harber, Roegner, Segovia, Owenby) and recent 2nd round HS draft picks (D. Williams, Feliciano, Lemons, Gray, Bello) and high-bonus DSL kids (Rodriguez, Ernesto). Then it depends whether you favor upper level production even if it is in a bench/bullpen role (Perrin, Jankins, Lopez, QT-C, Ramirez, Moore, Hager, Derby, McDowell, Orf) or rookie ball guys with upside (Carmona, Familia, Vasalotti, Sibrian, Abreu, Egnatuk, EW Martinez, Ward). I think between the Biloxi team, the A-ball guys, and recent 2nd round draft picks there won't be much room for rookie ball guys but we'll see.

Agree, #18-25 will be all over the place. And lots of time for guys like Peralta and Houser to graduate. There is a lot of talent in the system even if it only has a couple of top-100 prospects.

[sarcasm]Peralta really proving those national services he wasn’t worth a top 100 place & future is simply a reliever[/sarcasm]

Archived