Brewer Fanatic

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2018 Pre-Season Edition

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

#1 (+3) Keston Hiura, 2B, age 21

977 points (24 1st place votes) - 40 of 40 ballots.

A stellar 2017 debut and a great spring camp (.419 BA) has thrust Hiura to the top of the BF.net prospect listing. If he can settle in defensively, he has All-star potential.

Anagram name: Haiku Stoner

2018 Destination: A+ Carolina

#2 ( - ) Corbin Burnes, RHP, age 23

960 points (12 1st place votes) - 40 of 40 ballots.

Athletic pitcher who attacks batters with a four pitch mix. Add in good control and you have nothing but success thus far for Burnes. If he continues his winning ways in 2018 don't be surprised if he is in Milwaukee by the trade deadline.

Anagram name: Nubbier Corns

2018 Destination: AAA Colorado Springs

#3 ( - ) Brandon Woodruff, RHP, age 25

908 points (3 1st place votes) - 40 of 40 ballots.

After an encouraging stint in Milwaukee late last year, Woodruff will open in Milwaukee's rotation despite a lackluster spring camp. For Woodruff, now it is about developing consistency with his mechanics and staying healthy.

Anagram name: Barf Food Rundown

2018 Destination: Milwaukee

#4 (+1) Brett Phillips, OF, age 23

805 points - 40 of 40 ballots.

A logjam in the outfield, along with a poor spring, has Phillips returning to AAA to start 2018. Phillips needs to use the time in the minors to cut down his strikeouts and improve his hit tool. Barring a trade, expect him back in Milwaukee at some point.

Anagram name: Pet Birth Pills

#5 (+1) Luis Ortiz, RHP, age 22

778 points - 40 of 40 ballots.

Talented right hander with a good feel for pitching. With a plus fastball and slider, watch for Ortiz to continue to refine his change up in 2018. Also, look for the organization to continue to push Ortiz's workload, which has never surpassed 94 innings. Ortiz came into spring training having shed some weight - a positive sign for the youngster.

Anagram name: Roil Zit Us

2018 Destination: AA Biloxi

#6 (+5) Tristen Lutz, OF, age 19

764 points - 40 of 40 ballots.

Hitting the ball - and hitting it hard - is one sign of a quality hitter. In 2017, Lutz produced elite exit velocities - velocities that would have been at home with the top hitters in the majors. The quick bat and live action are what make him one of the most exciting - if not the most exciting - hitter in the Brewers farm system. Lutz is still very young, but his power potential is tantalizing.

Anagram name: Let Zits Turn

2018 Destination: A- Wisconsin

#6 (+1) Freddy Peralta, RHP, age 21

753 points (1 1st place votes) - 40 of 40 ballots.

An undersized right hander, Peralta struck out lots of guys last year (169k in 120 IP) and held hitters to a .178 BA. He also walked 62 batters. If he can refine his control in 2018, he can take a huge step forward in his development. Due to his small stature and control issues, some believe Peralta is best suited as a reliever - but the Brewers will continue to work Peralta as a starter until he proves he can't get the job done.

Anagram name: Drafted Replay

#8 (+2) Lucas Erceg, 3B, age 22

716 points - 40 of 40 ballots.

Erceg's exciting 2016 debut was tempered by a solid, but not great 2017. He showed an over-aggressive approach at the plate - and needs to work on being more selective going forward. Erceg sports a tremendous arm, which gives him the potential to be an above average defender at 3B.

Anagram name: Cage Ulcers

#9 (+2) Trent Grisham, OF, age 21

647 points - 40 of 40 ballots.

Dude can take a walk like no one in the system (led the Carolina League with 98 free passes). But now is the time for Grisham to improve his hitting. With his patience at the plate, he doesn't need to hit .300 to be a success. But he needs to improve significantly on last year's numbers (.223 BA). Formerly known as Trent Clark.

Anagram name: Mr Shattering

#10 (+9) Taylor Williams, RHP, age 26

552 points - 39 of 40 ballots.

Everyone loves a comeback. Williams missed two straight seasons of baseball and his successful return as a reliever in 2017 was encouraging - even getting him cup of coffee with the big league club last September. His spring training numbers - 3.48 ERA, 12K and 3BB in 10.1 IP, has put in on the cusp the majors.

Anagram name: Amorality Swill

#11 (+3) Mauricio Dubon, IF, age 23

545 points - 39 of 40 ballots.

Dubon is one of those guys who clocks in all over the prospect board. Some see him as a utility guy due to his lack of game power. Others see him as a slick fielding 2B or SS who has the potential to hit better than he showed in 2017. If Villar falters in 2018, and Dubon produces in the minors, he may get the chance to show his stuff in Milwaukee. Once he reaches the majors, Dubon will be the first Honduran native to play in the big leagues.

Anagram name: Rumba Ionic Duo

#12 (+5) Cody Ponce, RHP, age 23

458 points - 38 of 40 ballots.

Big and hulking, Ponce has the profile of an innings eater type starter. For 2018, the Crew will want him to stay healthy (an issue that has dogged him) and pick up where he left off last year.

Anagram name: Cop Coy Ed

#13 ( - ) Corey Ray, OF, age 23

449 points - 36 of 40 ballots.

The fifth overall pick in the 2016 draft is looking to rebound after a lackluster year and a half as a pro. Some of Ray's issues can be attributed to knee surgery before the 2017 season - but his overall line (.679 OPS, 156K) was very disappointing. Although he is an exceptional athlete, Ray will heavily scrutinized. He needs to make necessary adjustments at the plate and show better strike zone judgment if he's going to avoid plummeting in our next fan poll.

Anagram name: Racy Yore

#14 (new) Adrian Houser, RHP, age 25

366 points - 37 of 40 ballots.

Brewerfan.net voters boarded the Houser train this offseason, vaulting the hard throwing righty way up our boards (and back into the Top 25. Despite limited time on the mound (following TJ surgery in 2016), Houser impressed the club in the offseason - both on the mound and off. His fastball can reach 97 mph. The club will work Houser as a starter, but if they are in need of a big arm during the season, he could end up in the bullpen in Milwaukee.

Anagram name: Diarrhea Onus

#15 ( - ) Jake Gatewood, 1B, age 22

364 points - 35 of 40 ballots

Showed signs of life last year with 40 doubles and 15 HR. Tremendous raw power, but lack of contact his limited him thus far. 2018 will be telling as he faces more advanced pitching.

Anagram name: Wade Goat Joke

#16 (+2) Troy Stokes Jr., OF, age 22

325 points - 33 of 40 ballots

Compact player with good speed and surprising pop. Stokes doesn't hit great (.251 last season), but he takes his walks. While Stokes has played all three OF positions in the minors, he has a weak arm, which may limit him to LF - or a bench role - in the majors.

Anagram name: Joker or Tryst

#17 (+5) Jacob Nottingham, C, age 23

262 points - 31 of 40 ballots

Improved as a catcher, struggled at the plate. Scouts see a lot of raw power in Nottingham - something he hasn't translated into game power. He just turned 23, so he's still young for a catcher, but he's going to have to improve at the plate if he wants to reach the big Leagues.

Anagram name: Bacon Jam Tonight

#18 (+7) Kodi Medeiros, LHP, age 21

254 points - 27 of 40 ballots

Sporting a wicked slider and fastball combo, Medeiros continues to intrigue despite his struggles as a pro. He has shown some success as a reliever - and may end up there down the road.

Anagram name: Kiddie Romeos

#19 (+2) Mario Feliciano, C, age 19

251 points - 31 of 40 ballots

Athletic but raw catcher, Feliciano held his own as an 18-year old in 2017. Scouts see a guy with a good feel for hitting. Look for more doubles and a more robust batting average as Feliciano continues to mature.

2018 Destination: Will begin the 2018 season on the DL.

Anagram name: America Oil Info

#20 ( - ) Marcos Diplan, RHP, age 21

200 points - 27 of 40 ballots

He throws smoke. Strikes out guys. Lacks control. Walks lots of guys. Needs to be more consistent and hone his mechanics. His high effort delivery may portend to a bullpen move in the future.

Anagram name: Pascal Nim

#21 (New) Jean Carmona, SS, Age 18

186 points - 23 of 40 ballots

Athletic SS hit .302 in the DSL last season. Carmona is still a teenager but shows signs of being a quality player - he has a great arm, runs well and has the size to develop some pop as he matures.

2018 Destination: Rookie Ball

Anagram name: Major An Acne

#22 (+1) KJ Harrison, C, age 21

171 points - 21 of 40 ballots

Advanced college bat who continued to hit in his pro debut last season. The real question is if Harrison can stick behind the plate - where his bat would be a plus.

2018 Destination: A- Wisconsin

Anagram name: Sir John Ark

#23 (-7) Phil Bickford, RHP, age 22

152 points - 21 of 40 ballots

Suspensions, failed drug tests and injuries have plagued Bickford, a talented right hander who sports an above average fastball and slider. He is the only player to fall down the Top 25 list (despite the Brewers trading four players from the last poll). Let us hope that the man gets his life - and game - together.

2018 Destination: Will not open the season on an active roster

Anagram name: Bird Chip Folk

24 (+1) Trey Supak, RHP, age 21

137 points - 22 of 40 ballots

Big man with a solid fastball, a good curve, and uneven results. Supak has fought injuries and inconsistencies throughout his career. The potential is there - and with a little experience Supak may be ready to make that next step in 2018.

Anagram name: Rusty Peak

#25 (new) Jon Perrin, RHP, Age 24

109 points - 18 of 40 ballots

By putting up nothing but solid numbers since being a 27th round pick in 2015, Perrin has worked his way into the BF.net Top 25. Congratulations! Perrin doesn't have great tools, but he throws strikes and pitches smart. Could he be our next Brent Suter?

2018 Destination: AA Biloxi or AAA Colorado Springs

Anagram name: Roper Jinn

The Rest

Josh Pennington - 96 points

Caden Lemons - 88

Zack Brown - 86

Gabriel Garcia - 85

Bubba Derby - 81

Carlos Herrera - 74

Nathan Kirby - 54

Aaron Wilkerson - 43

Ernesto Wilson Martinez - 36

Jorge Lopez - 32

Nick Ramirez - 26

Dallas Carroll - 23

Drake Owenby - 23

Kyle Wren - 17

Thomas Jankins - 16

Cody Beckman - 11

Tyrone Taylor - 11

Cooper Hummel - 10

Larry Ernesto - 10

Braden Webb - 10

Carlos Rodriguez - 10

Nate Off - 9

Aaron Familia - 8

Devin Williams - 7

Jay Feliciano - 6

Angel Ventura - 5

Johnny Davis - 5

Payton Henry - 5

Demi Orimoloye - 5

Je’Von Ward - 4

Tyler Webb - 4

Blake Lillis - 4

Joantel Segovia - 2

Quintin Torres-Costa - 2

Carlos Luna - 1

Michele Vassalotti - 1

Gilbert Lara - 1

All ages are as of April 3, 2018.

Full voting thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=36499

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to everyone who participated in our latest Top 25 poll.

Here are some stats and numbers for this poll:

Traded from the Top 25: Harrison, Diaz, Brinson, Yamamoto

Newcomers to Top 25: Jean Carmona, Jon Perrin, Adrian Houser

Number of ballots: 40

Number of players on ballots: 62

Mr. Irrelevant (1 point): Gilbert Lara, Michele Vassalotti, Carlos Luna

Risers: T. Williams (+9), Nottingham, Lutz, Ponce (+5)

Fallers: Bickford (-7)

Please know that all write ups are my own observations and opinions.

If you see any mistakes, please let me know. Sometimes autocorrect will trick me. Or I’ll cut and paste something incorrectly. Other times I just mess something up. I will update as needed.

2018 destinations are what is known as of April 3, 2018. There are a couple of players who we are uncertain about - and I will update as soon as we find out their specific club they will start with this year.

Thanks for putting in all the work to compile this again, reilly. The anagrams are definitely a nice touch.

Say what you will about the individual players & their placements, I think my favorite thing about the list is that the top 18 & 23 of the 25 (Perrin is ok, er no?) are healthy and ready to go for 2018.

Lots of interesting depth & should hopefully be fun to follow the Minor League side of things this summer.

One of the interesting things is the sheer number of at least moderately intriguing pitchers who didn't make the list. The fact that it would be easy to see a scenario where Pennington (if healthy), Brown, Herrera, Kirby, Jankins or Webb make the midseason version should make the staffs, especially AAA through A+, fun to follow.

One of the interesting things is the sheer number of at least moderately intriguing pitchers who didn't make the list. The fact that it would be easy to see a scenario where Pennington (if healthy), Brown, Herrera, Kirby, Jankins or Webb make the midseason version should make the staffs, especially AAA through A+, fun to follow.

Also, remember that there are three guys who have a decent chance to graduate off the list by mid-season poll - which actually is 2/3 of the way into the season (at the trade deadline): Woodruff is almost guaranteed. Brett Phillips only needs 42 ABs to graduate. Taylor Williams could get the 45 days needed to graduate if someone falters or is hurt in the bullpen.

That could open up several spots for the next poll. Although we have to remember that we will have some draft picks to add to the list (usually only the top 1 or 2 guys move into the top 25).

And who knows what will happen with trades. We could add - or lose - prospects by the trade deadline.

The anagrams are definitely a nice touch.

Thanks.

This is the 12th poll that I have overseen (I never thought I'd still be doing this) - and it gets harder and harder to keep things fresh. I try not to spend too much time writing up the blurbs. It is easy to write the same stuff over and over. Hence, the goofy anagram thing. I thought it was fun.

Thank you for doing this. It is fun to see where we have them ranked compared to other websites out there. I also use this because I am ten and still play The Show and I like to create the prospects of the Brewers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah my 14 and 18 didn't make the top 25... and I feel pretty good about them so that's depth alright.

(Brown, Pennington)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Taylor Williams has his 45 days in for the year making him ineligible for the future. MLB Pipeline has removed him from their list and added Payton Henry at 29.

I knew that was going to happen around this time. That means Williams and Woodruff are ineligible for our next prospect poll.

The only other guys I could see getting bumped would be Phillips - who is 29 ABs away from losing his rookie eligibility. But that would require something to happen (such as an injury) to get him playing time.

One under-the-radar guy could be Jorge Lopez. He's bounced up and down on the roster, and by end of July, he may potentially accrue 45 days of service.

Peralta is another guy - assuming he is brought back up and sticks in the rotation.

If Nottingham hadn't gotten hurt there was a possibility that he could have displaced Bandy - but I doubt that happens now.

Josh Pennington is, due to his retirement, the other guy who won't be garnering any votes.

I could see Zack Brown and Jankins moving into the Top 25 - plus whomever we take with our top pick in next month's draft. Payton Henry might get some interest as well. And if Nate Orf isn't freed, perhaps he can sneak in.

Also, the short ball players will start to accumulate some numbers - such as Lemons and Carmona will start making their mark.

I expect Bickford to drop out. Plus a few other fringe guys are not playing or having tough seasons - so there could be some movement there.

Should be interesting.

One of these threads had a report from him in extended spring training pitching in the mid 80s
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Taylor Williams has his 45 days in for the year making him ineligible for the future. MLB Pipeline has removed him from their list and added Payton Henry at 29.

I knew that was going to happen around this time. That means Williams and Woodruff are ineligible for our next prospect poll.

The only other guys I could see getting bumped would be Phillips - who is 29 ABs away from losing his rookie eligibility. But that would require something to happen (such as an injury) to get him playing time.

One under-the-radar guy could be Jorge Lopez. He's bounced up and down on the roster, and by end of July, he may potentially accrue 45 days of service.

Peralta is another guy - assuming he is brought back up and sticks in the rotation.

If Nottingham hadn't gotten hurt there was a possibility that he could have displaced Bandy - but I doubt that happens now.

Josh Pennington is, due to his retirement, the other guy who won't be garnering any votes.

I could see Zack Brown and Jankins moving into the Top 25 - plus whomever we take with our top pick in next month's draft. Payton Henry might get some interest as well. And if Nate Orf isn't freed, perhaps he can sneak in.

Also, the short ball players will start to accumulate some numbers - such as Lemons and Carmona will start making their mark.

I expect Bickford to drop out. Plus a few other fringe guys are not playing or having tough seasons - so there could be some movement there.

Should be interesting.

I agree on this, especially Zach Brown, im not sure people realiz just how well he is pitching. Also, I will be voting, and hope to see two timber rattlers make appearances due to VASTLY better showings this year plus pedigree in Demi orimoleye and Gilbert Lara.

Archived