Brewer Fanatic

Optimal Depth

Greenleaf1
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So now that Yelich is injured isn't all the OF depth a good thing?

On the surface, yes it is, as Braun can simply be plugged into full time LF duty for however long Yelich is out.

If you are looking for an "I told you so" moment, though, an injury to the team's previously highly durable 26-year-old All-Star-level LF hardly warrants that, in my opinion.

I don't think he's looking for an "I told you so" just that it can be looked at in a positive and not such a negative. But I will say, even if we traded Santana and Yelich got hurt there would be options with Phillips and Broxton. Everyone is so touchy around here lately. Not good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Astros depth seems like a solid ideal thing. But you need a legit good hitter like Marwan Gonzalez that can play virtually every position, rather than a guy like Perez who can play everywhere but really isn't a good hitter. So you have a great jack of all trades legit hitter who can fill in for any long term injury as well as give a day off to everyone each week.

In this case, the depth at outfield while Yelich is out (or anybody is out for a day or two) is extraordinarily important when you think that injuries like this happen to most players one or two times per season. The depth allows us to be careful with small injuries, let players rehab a bit, and hopefully avoid long term injuries and DL stints. It also means that when they do play, they'll be healthy.

Archived