Brewer Fanatic

Former/Current Brewers with a shot at the HOF?

Which Brewers, either former or current, would you say have a shot at the Hall of fame?

I think Greinke is going to get in pretty easily at the rate he's going. C.C Sabathia and Aramis Ramirez are going to be borderline. You might see guys like Fransisco Rodriguez and Ryan Braun get some votes (but definitely won't hit the mark). Any others I'm not thinking of?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prince Fielder doesn't really have a chance. Braun has the PED issue and overall stats are not that great so not much of a chance for him either. I would say Sabathia has the best shot, Ted Simmons, Gary Sheffield if they ever let PED guys in. That is about it. Yelich certainly has youth and potential to get there but 20 years away. I don't see K-Rod and Ramirez even getting 5% of the vote so probably gone after the first year.

Braun will have a chance if he can put together a nice stretch of seasons and the Hall loosens up on their stance with guy and PED's.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun's suspension year and the thumb injury year right at his prime really kill his counting stats. If he was more in the 350-375 HR area now he'd have a great shot at upper 400s or possibly 500 if can hang on a few more years relatively healthy while currently maintaining above .300 avg. Now, he won't get close to 500 plus the scandal so no way for him unless he really has a health resurgence the next few years. At which point he'll just be accused of PEDs again, funny how that'll happen to him but for Big Papi it was a feel good story and he'll walk into the Hall in spite of being a user too.

Braun would probably have to rebound to MVP caliber play for the next 3 seasons to even be remotely considered.

As is he's about in the same conversation as Mike Cameron who isn't really docked by a PED history, though he did get 25 games for a banned stimulant that no one really remembers.

Braun would probably have to rebound to MVP caliber play for the next 3 seasons to even be remotely considered.

As is he's about in the same conversation as Mike Cameron who isn't really docked by a PED history, though he did get 25 games for a banned stimulant that no one really remembers.

How can you compare a guy that never once batted over .270 to a a career .302 hitter?

How can you compare a guy that never once batted over .270 to a a career .302 hitter?

Braun was better at his best, but Cameron was much more consistently good over his career. Cameron has a career 50.7 WAR, Braun is at 40.1. WAR isn't the end all be all but it's a heck of a lot better than batting average.

This isnt even necessarily me saying I think Cameron has the better MVP case but I am saying they're a whole lot more comparable case wise than you seem to think.

Mike Cameron and Braun in the same sentence. Ay yiy yiy.

Batting average isn’t everything but the dudes career OPS... career in the .700’s. Braun has an ops in the .800’s during a season and people lose their minds.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Which Brewers, either former or current, would you say have a shot at the Hall of fame?

I think Greinke is going to get in pretty easily at the rate he's going. C.C Sabathia and Aramis Ramirez are going to be borderline. You might see guys like Fransisco Rodriguez and Ryan Braun get some votes (but definitely won't hit the mark). Any others I'm not thinking of?

Sabathia is 150 strikeouts short of 3,000. He's a lock if he gets there. Greinke still needs 2-3 decent years. No way on Ramirez. Rodriguez is this era's Lee Smith. He won't make it unless Smith does.

I think Ryan Braun retires after his contract is done...for that reason I don't think he gets the statistics necessary to seal the deal. That is totally ignoring the PED circus.

Decline and limited playing time are going to slow him down. His average will fall under .300 and his OPS will dip below .900. He will also fall short of 400 HRs. Will have a touch over 2,000 hits and will fall short of 250 steals.

Missing the feathers on the cap.

Aramis ranked all time among 3B:

Hits - 11

2B - 7

HR - 7

RBI - 6

In these categories, most everyone in front of him is already in the Hall of Fame except for Adrian Beltre. I would agree that Aramis does not feel like a HOF'er, nor am I saying that he should be. But he was one of the best offensive 3B of all time.

I fully expect Ted Simmons to get in with the new "modern era" committee- not sure if he deserves it though. Of the rest, the only one I see as on the cusp would be CC. Greinke would probably need another 4-5 years without a significant drop off. Braun is out due to the juicing, and I don't think Aramis' offensive stats pop enough in this era.

Aramis ranked all time among 3B:

Hits - 11

2B - 7

HR - 7

RBI - 6

In these categories, most everyone in front of him is already in the Hall of Fame except for Adrian Beltre. I would agree that Aramis does not feel like a HOF'er, nor am I saying that he should be. But he was one of the best offensive 3B of all time.

He played a really long time. That's a big reason he ranks so high. His peak and overall production(including defense) puts him severely behind HOF production.

Ramirez is one that probably shouldn't and won't get in, but he's a heck of a lot closer than people realize or likely will get credit for at voting time. Kenny Lofton is another recent one too. If I remember he didn't make it past one year on the ballot (could be wrong on that) in spite of a 299 avg 68 WAR and over 600 SBs. A very quiet darn good career.

Community Moderator
Christian Yelich is currently entering his prime...never know there. Already has about 20 WAR at 25.

I will preface with the fact that unless the player’s name is Mike Trout it is nearly impossible to bestow HOF accolades on someone in their mid-20’s.

That being said, Christian Yelich has 18.6 bWAR through his age-25 season. That is impressive by Brewers standards. As a comparison if you look at the early career of all players in Brewers history (during their time within the organization), only two accumulated more bWAR through their age-25 season than that total. Any guesses on who those two players are?

Hint: They are both Hall of Famers...

Brewers All-Time WAR Leaders Through Age 25 Season

1. Robin Yount 26.8

2. Paul Molitor 19.3

3. Sixto Lezcano 17.6

4. Ben Sheets 12.8

5. Ryan Braun 12.7

6. Lary Sorensen* 12.3

7. Darrell Porter* 11.0

8. Prince Fielder 10.7

9. J.J. Hardy 10.5

10t. Yovani Gallardo 10.0

10t. Jamie Navarro 10.0

*Denotes players who were traded before their age 25 season, WAR totals only include each player’s years with the Brewers.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Batting average isn’t everything but the dudes career OPS... career in the .700’s. Braun has an ops in the .800’s during a season and people lose their minds.

So Robin Yount shouldn't be in the Hall or listed in the same sentence as Braun either?

So Robin Yount shouldn't be in the Hall or listed in the same sentence as Braun either?

Robin was never the hitter Braun is either. Robin is beloved by Brewers fans and I get it, but we are talking different eras. I’m sure Braun would have loved to jump to the majors at 18 and start collecting counting stats like Robin got to. And Robin’s OPS would be well over .800 without those first four years that drag that sucker down. Makes a huge difference. Different eras but Mike Cameron doesn’t belong in either of these twos sentences and that’s not a knock on Cameron, he’s just not in eithers league.

Archived