Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-03: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Anderson) 6:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-4]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

HePIaNL.jpg

HePJgHj.jpg

[pre]Cardinals Lineup Brewers Lineup

1. Dexter Fowler (S) RF 1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

2. Tommy Pham ® CF 2. Christian Yelich (L) RF

3. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B 3. Ryan Braun ® LF

4. Marcell Ozuna ® LF 4. Travis Shaw (L) 3B

5. Jose Martinez ® 1B 5. Eric Thames (L) 1B

6. Yadier Molina ® C 6. Manny Pina ® C

7. Paul DeJong ® SS 7. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B

8. Kolten Wong (L) 2B 8. Orlando Arcia ® SS

9. Jack Flaherty ® P 9. Chase Anderson ® P[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the SP has looked about how I thought so far. Didn't expect much from Davies in the early going, but Chacin and Suter are about what I thought they'd be as starters. I think Chacin can settle in a little bit better but my main thought on the rotation is what it was before the season:

The Brewers need Chase Anderson to be the Chase Anderson he was last season at least until Jimmy Nelson comes back. There's a lot on his shoulders right now.

Didn’t realize the Badgers football team threw out the first pitch yesterday, now I know why we lost

Please explain...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Is there any Brewer starter in history with consecutive sub 3.00 ERA seasons. Higuera and Sheets both never did it...

No. Bill Wegman came pretty close though.

Higuera is the only Brewer SP ever to post 2 seasons with an ERA under 3.

Caldwell was kind of close, 2.36 in '78, 3.29 in '79.

Sheets was also close, but not consecutive, with 2.70 in 2004 and 3.09 in 2008.

Wegman posted a 2.84 mark in 1991, followed by 3.20 in 1992

Braun can sit again. Save 1 huge hit he's been real cold. (yes also unlucky)

Great idea, sit Braun every day, hell, let's just cut him and be done with it. :rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Found this site that I've been using to see lineups. I like it because I can see every teams lineup in one condensed spot. I like scrolling through.

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

I use Daily MLB Lineups (@DailyMLBLineup) on twitter too. They are nice to scroll through on there.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Curious who sits today. Cain off to such a hot start that it would be tough not to put him in, but it kind of makes sense for it to be his "turn" for a rest day.

Cain is basically an every day guy. He's not really in the rotation of rest guys. Of course he'll get rest days occasionally but for the most part he's a guy who when available will always play.

Great idea, sit Braun every day, hell, let's just cut him and be done with it. :rolleyes

This is kind of an overreactive response, isn't it? I don't think he was suggesting Braun be cut or never play. The reality is that based on our roster structure, both Santana and Braun are going to sit a lot more than we would like to see against RHP. I don't think Santana being his preferred choice right now is a super unreasonable thing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is kind of an overreactive response, isn't it? I don't think he was suggesting Braun be cut or never play. The reality is that based on our roster structure, both Santana and Braun are going to sit a lot more than we would like to see against RHP. I don't think Santana being his preferred choice right now is a super unreasonable thing.

We can keep on trying to fool ourselves into thinking this roster construction makes sense, but it does not. Sure, it may in the future if someone gets hurt, but right now it doesn't. It makes me wonder which team backed out of a proposed Santana trade. Because that's the only way I can make sense of it. Stearns was stood up by someone.

I know people on this board aren't always the biggest fan of Haudricourt but I have to agree with him that Cain/Yelich weren't acquired to sit on the bench. Have to believe that unless there's a real reason that they need to be sitting (slump, nagging injuries) that they will be playing every day.

I think Braun is going to get playing time when healthy and then Thames/Santana are going to have to play less than they normally would (unless there's a major injury/slump). Thames has hit the ball very hard in both games he's played, so while Santana has played decently too, I think they're going with Thames today and see if his bat stays hot. Sucks for Santana in the short term but my guess is this will all balance out over the course of a long season.

The current roster construction doesn’t work because we have a good player on the bench and not Kirk Niewenhuis. Got it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Outside of an injury, I don’t see this balancing out. I don’t like it.

Blow me up for this dumb idea... Would it better to drop Shomingo down to the Sky Sox to get him more at bats? Is his decreased playing time going to negatively affect him, or others?

I don’t like that idea, as it forces Braun to play more consistently, I like his days off to keep him fresh. It hurts our bench.

Will a drop to AAA help the progression of Shomingo and possibly help his trade value, as he’ll have full time stats?

During the off season, I thought it would work out, but I don’t like any of this. We either have an above average starter, who’s young and is great trade bait for us sitting, or we sort of hope for an injury, or we send him to AAA.

I keep telling myself to trust the process, and that it’ll all work out.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The current roster construction doesn’t work because we have a good player on the bench and not Kirk Niewenhuis. Got it.

You don't really have anything. It doesn't work because they have guys that are everyday players on the bench, and guys that should be on the major league team in the minors. Sure, that is nice on paper, but it doesn't really help the team dynamic.

You don't really have anything. It doesn't work because they have guys that are everyday players on the bench, and guys that should be on the major league team in the minors. Sure, that is nice on paper, but it doesn't really help the team dynamic.

Why? We constantly have good players playing... how doesn’t that help us win ball games?

Archived