Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-02: Cardinals (Mikolas) at Brewers (Davies) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-4]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So far this team looks as advertised. A potentially great offense and good bullpen, and horrible starting pitching.

The lineup is exciting though.

Sorta. That bullpen has already blown a save, Anderson's start was perfect, Suter was about what you expect from a back-end guy. Chacin was roughed up a little and Davies has been what he is, inconsistent. I'm not a big Davies fan personally, he does this way too often to be an ace...which he isn't, but we sorta pretend he is.

Who's pretending Davies is an ace? He's a generally solid #3, who is pitching up to #2 right now due to an injury. If he were an ace, the majority of the posters here wouldn't have been stumping for an upper end starting pitching addition all offseason.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don’t get the constant talk about Villar’s leash. Our other options are trash too with no more potential ceiling. Why would you not want Villar to play when he has a near AS ceiling that could make this offense miles more dynamic. Sogard/Perez are cruddy #8 hitters that have zero SB speed and not so much power(Perez has speed, I correct my mistake). The improvement they would give over .240 hitting Villar is essentially nothing.

I just don’t get the constant talk about Villar’s leash. Our other options are trash too with no more potential ceiling. Why would you not want Villar to play when he has a near AS ceiling that could make this offense miles more dynamic. Sogard/Perez are cruddy #8 hitters that have zero SB speed and not so much power. The improvement they would give over .240 hitting Villar is essentially nothing.

Seems crazy aggressive, but I suppose there's a chance they could consider a midseason promotion for Hiura.

Mid-2019 more likely.

I just don’t get the constant talk about Villar’s leash. Our other options are trash too with no more potential ceiling. Why would you not want Villar to play when he has a near AS ceiling that could make this offense miles more dynamic. Sogard/Perez are cruddy #8 hitters that have zero SB speed and not so much power. The improvement they would give over .240 hitting Villar is essentially nothing.

Seems crazy aggressive, but I suppose there's a chance they could consider a midseason promotion for Hiura.

Mid-2019 more likely.

Sure, one could dream on that. That isn’t coming any time soon even if it is this year. Though he has yet to prove he can play defense...so I don’t see this year possible at all.

Hope they think about how important it was to start a "name" guy for the home opener even though he's awful at home when they miss the playoffs by 1 game again.

His splits were better away LAST YEAR.

Before that 3.75 home era and 4.40 road.

Probably at lot more to do with who the opponents happened to be, or a couple blow up starts. After one year you can't just say he's terrible at home.

Hope they think about how important it was to start a "name" guy for the home opener even though he's awful at home when they miss the playoffs by 1 game again.

Probably at lot more to do with who the opponents happened to be, or a couple blow up starts. After one year you can't just say he's terrible at home.

And in 2015 a 6.10 ERA at home and 2.66 on the road albeit in limited innings.

Davies himself has said he's more comfortable on the road.

Without looking I'm guessing his home road splits could be chalked up to a few bad starts at home.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And in 2015 a 6.10 ERA at home and 2.66 on the road albeit in limited innings.

Davies himself has said he's more comfortable on the road.

If this team is going to be a playoff contender this year, they are going to need Davies to be a solid pitcher at Millar Park. Simple as that.

Need our offense to wake up now and get us back in this one.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Welp, the starting pitching has done nothing to alleviate my concerns. The offense was able to bail them out against a lesser team but against good teams this isn't going to work.

EDIT: And that includes Woodruff.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Villar’s basement is equivalent to Sogard’s ceiling. His leash is long as it should.

A drag bunt is a part of his game like HRs are apart of Thames game. Don’t try to downplay it.

I just don’t get the constant talk about Villar’s leash. Our other options are trash too with no more potential ceiling. Why would you not want Villar to play when he has a near AS ceiling that could make this offense miles more dynamic. Sogard/Perez are cruddy #8 hitters that have zero SB speed and not so much power(Perez has speed, I correct my mistake). The improvement they would give over .240 hitting Villar is essentially nothing.

I posted once out of frustration on a K. You've posted twice in reaction. Who is "constantly" talking about it?

If this team is going to be a playoff contender this year, they are going to need Davies to be a solid pitcher at Millar Park. Simple as that.

Well, his career numbers at MP seem to indicate we shouldn't hold our breath.

I don't know if this is true though. He was bad at MP last year and we missed the playoffs by a game.

Archived