Brewer Fanatic

2018-04-02: Cardinals (Mikolas) at Brewers (Davies) 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-4]

Arcia might have a Gold Glove or three before his career is over...

Needs to hit and reduce errors. Errors aren't everything, but being first in the league certainly is a bad title to have. His 20 were 8 more than third place.

While looking that up I saw we had the most errors "leaders" at three positions: Broxton, Arcia, Villar.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needs to hit and reduce errors. Errors aren't everything, but being first in the league certainly is a bad title to have. His 20 were 8 more than third place.

While looking that up I saw we had the most errors "leaders" at three positions: Broxton, Arcia, Villar.

Agreed. I think he will reduce the errors and continue to improve with the bat. Hopefully he'll play in several postseasons with the Brewers which will raise his national profile, as well

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Do they track errors per "attempt"? So if you get to more balls you have more chances for an error. Just curious.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Do they track errors per "attempt"? So if you get to more balls you have more chances for an error. Just curious.

Depends if you just look at the counting stat. Normally they look at fielding percentage that would take attempts into account.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Depends if you just look at the counting stat. Normally they look at fielding percentage that would take attempts into account.

Oh yeah. Derp. Although that only counts the balls you get to I suppose.

Sorry, I don't want this to go off the rails. I'll look up the D stats when I have time. Thanks.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Similar to the singles hitter who steals 2nd but gets no credit towards "Slugging Percentage" despite his ability to get in scoring position, errors per attempt is a stat lost on far too many

Edit: in the sense that superior range should be factored in. Yuni B's fielding pct is irrelevent, as an example

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Oh yeah. Derp. Although that only counts the balls you get to.

Sorry, I don't want this to go off the rails. I'll look up the D stats when I have time. Thanks.

Although remember fielding % only accounts for errors and outs, which does not represent every time you field a ball. You could make a great play in the hole, make a strong throw but the runner could still beat it out. You make a great play and your fielding % does not rise.

I think most of Arcia's errors are on routine plays though - he needs to get more consistent with the routine plays in order for the fantastic plays to really separate him from other quality ss defenders.

It's one thing for him to have more errors than most due to just getting to many more balls and trying to do too much to make a great play - that's not the case.

Cain was a little slow getting that back in, cost us a run there... Speaking of stats, factor that into "ERA". A better defensive play there and the score is still 1-0

Why can’t I listen to WTMJ live on their website? Why are they playing old podcasts from Friday on their “listen live”? Can’t find any free radio streams of the game

They don't exist. You can't stream WTMJ during Brewers/Packers.

http://www.sportshd.me/mlb/529467/h

Use that link for a video stream though, if you want.

Why can’t I listen to WTMJ live on their website? Why are they playing old podcasts from Friday on their “listen live”? Can’t find any free radio streams of the game

If you can't listen on over the air radio, you have to pay the MLB to listen online.

Still can't understand why you tab Suter for Game 3 and Davies for the home opener. I can't explain it, but Davies straight stinks at home and is an ace on the road. Like, moreso than any pitcher in baseball.

It made perfect sense to let him finish off the Padre series and roll with Suter in the home opener. I said it well beforehand and I just don't know what Counsell was thinking there.

Still can't understand why you tab Suter for Game 3 and Davies for the home opener. I can't explain it, but Davies straight stinks at home and is an ace on the road. Like, moreso than any pitcher in baseball.

It made perfect sense to let him finish off the Padre series and roll with Suter in the home opener. I said it well beforehand and I just don't know what Counsell was thinking there.

Symbolism of being "opening day starter." Players would probably not like it if one of the horses didn't get to start this game. Counsell can't start Suter here no matter how much sense it makes. It's a sign of respect.

Archived