Brewer Fanatic

Keston Hiura [Promoted to AA 5/31/18]

markedman5
He’s still killing left handed (1.106) pitching and his split against RHP (.772)is getting better. Not great but better.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more numbers on Hiura's season so far, to contextualize.

In April, his line was an underwhelming .238/.301/.333/.634.

So far in May, he's at .349/.408/.606/1.014, with multi-hit games in 13 of 26 games. He's also only struck out 4 times in his last 10 games. The guy is dialed in!

Hope he can stay consistent & move on up to Biloxi this season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

His season line for the Carolina league is looking very much like the advanced college hitting prospect we drafted. It makes me wonder at what point he might get promoted.

I think if he continues to play quite a bit at 2nd over the next month-6 weeks and shows he can hang there defensively, he'll be in Biloxi for the 2nd half of the minor league season. They'll let him at A+ to finish the Carolina league's 1st half/1st season. If he stays healthy, that gives him every opportunity to open next year at either AA or AAA with a callup to MLB as early as this time in 2019.

Well he’s headed to AA-Biloxi tomorrow after going 5-5 with two dingers tonight.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
@TylerMaun[/url]"]Top #Brewers prospect Keston Hiura is headed up to Double-A, Class A Advanced Carolina manager Joe Ayrault just told me. Hiura went 5-for-5 tonight with two homers, his first multi-homer game as a professional.

I am really looking forward to Hiura’s move up to Double-A. This goes without saying at this point, but his hitting ability is really special.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member

I have no questions at all about his bat. Will he be able to play an average 2B and be healthy enough to play it every day?

And that Biloxi team is going to be ridiculous.

I think any trade discussions involving hiura can be put to bed...dude is 100 percent a member of the brewer core, could be as soon as 2019. That bat at 2nd is phenomenal

I am not specifically advocating to trade Hiura but I don't know why him raking would put any trade discussions about him to bed. If they're considering trading him it's a very good thing he's raking. Better production brings back better returns.

We don't get the luxury of plugging him in at DH like the Mudcats did tonight. So if he's a member of the core they need to be awfully certain of his ability to play 2B.

He is the next Braun type bat in our system we have so desperately needed. He’s gonna be a special player. Can’t wait to see him destroy AA too.

Carolina had Hiura and Newhaus basically splitting time at 2nd during May, once Hiura worked his way back on the field after resting his arm following a long stint where he played plenty of 2B in MLB spring training games and practices. Granted, Hiura is the premium prospect at that position, but Newhaus needed time there also.

I've seen nothing over the past few weeks since Hiura has been playing in the field at least 50% of the Mudcat games that indicates they are DH-ing him because his arm is bothering him or because of him being terrible defensively at 2nd. With the recent callup of Dylan Moore to AAA from Biloxi, they don't really have anyone of note playing second (Rijo and Seferina are the only 2B currently on their roster). I'm looking for Hiura to actually get more playing time in the field at AA, which will be a great gauge of how close he might be to playing in Milwaukee.

I am not specifically advocating to trade Hiura but I don't know why him raking would put any trade discussions about him to bed.

I don't see why promoting him would make any sense if they had thoughts of trading Hiura - if that's the case, why mess with a prospect's hot streak by bumping him up a level and uprooting his routine? I guess sort of a similar comparison of dealing the previous year's top 10 draft pick could be when the Brewers traded LaPorta to headline the Sabathia deal - big difference is that LaPorta was completely blocked for multiple seasons at the MLB level by Prince at 1st and Braun in left. 2B is wide open for Hiura, no disrespect to the current Brewer players manning that position.

Considering the fact our current 2B is a bit of a question mark it probably isn’t very likely we trade Keston Hiura. Seems like he is on pace to be ready next year.

He would have to be apart of a package for a major player who is controllable. We would also have to be confident in Villar long term.

I have no questions at all about his bat. Will he be able to play an average 2B and be healthy enough to play it every day?

Except Hiura will likely be in Colorado Springs by early August. He's tracking for a MLB debut a year from now after the expected Super 2 cutoff.

Remember a few months back when so many wanted to give him TJ surgery despite not having a torn UCL? Good times.

Huge props to the Brewers for doing their due diligence on Hiura pre draft and having the stones to make the pick. What a steal. Like others have said, he's our next Braun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't see why promoting him would make any sense if they had thoughts of trading Hiura - if that's the case, why mess with a prospect's hot streak by bumping him up a level and uprooting his routine?

Not saying the plan is to trade him, but if he starts out hot at AA his stock goes flying through the roof compared to where he is now. It would take away the last big hurdle in the usual prospect development, proving it at AA. Hiura still has to prove to be able to play the field daily to boot. But, age 21 in AA sounds much better than 21 in A+.

Except Hiura will likely be in Colorado Springs by early August. He's tracking for a MLB debut a year from now after the expected Super 2 cutoff.

I doubt he spends much time at AAA at all on his way up - they already have a pile of middle infielders older than Hiura fighting over playing time, including the rotating utility guys in Milwaukee. I'd rather Hiura just play everyday in AA the rest of this season, then perhaps open next year at AAA until Super 2 passes - or if he proves he belongs he might be one of those guys who goes straight from AA to the Show.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Remember a few months back when so many wanted to give him TJ surgery despite not having a torn UCL? Good times.

Huge props to the Brewers for doing their due diligence on Hiura pre draft and having the stones to make the pick. What a steal. Like others have said, he's our next Braun.

Saying that he's out of the woods as far as his elbow is concerned is a huge, huge assumption. It is encouraging that he's been playing regularly at 2B, but the reason the Brewers were able to draft the best hitter in the 2017 draft where they did was because he was damaged goods. In a way, that is still the case.

So today he's untradeable and the arm is a non-issue. I believe less than a week ago, perhaps even yesterday, he was a solid trade piece and surgery was inevitable, so they should just get it out of the way now.

Just trying to keep up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Who said he was tradeable?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived