Brewer Fanatic

Keston Hiura [Promoted to AA 5/31/18]

markedman5
Are people really suggesting TJ surgery for a player who doesn't have a torn UCL? What's the plan, cut it during surgery, then replace it?

I love Hiura, but calm down people. He's no more big league ready after a big spring than Lucas Erceg was last year. How did Erceg's year turn out? Hiura had a 850 OPS in the Midwest League last year. He didn't get 4 levels better in the off season.

I really hope Hiura can be another Braun, but that's asking a ton. On the Braun timeline, Hiura wouldn't see AAA this year.

There's a post on the previous page that he tried to avoid it with the other treatment so I'd assume he has or had the injury required for TJ?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are people really suggesting TJ surgery for a player who doesn't have a torn UCL? What's the plan, cut it during surgery, then replace it?

I love Hiura, but calm down people. He's no more big league ready after a big spring than Lucas Erceg was last year. How did Erceg's year turn out? Hiura had a 850 OPS in the Midwest League last year. He didn't get 4 levels better in the off season.

I really hope Hiura can be another Braun, but that's asking a ton. On the Braun timeline, Hiura wouldn't see AAA this year.

There's a post on the previous page that he tried to avoid it with the other treatment so I'd assume he has or had the injury required for TJ?

The UCL wasn't completely torn, and it healed.

He now likely just has elbow inflammation, and there's no surgical remedy for that. He just needs rest, and to build arm strength.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The UCL wasn't completely torn, and it healed.

He now likely just has elbow inflammation, and there's no surgical remedy for that. He just needs rest, and to build arm strength.

I hope you are right. History, and the Brewers' luck with prospects, has me more on the pessimistic side of the equation, though.

In the past, a 2B who had to deal with some inflammation wouldn't be a big deal. Now, with the extreme shifts, a 2B actually needs a strong arm to make the throw to 1B from shallow RF or behind 2B when the shift goes to the left side of the diamond.

Here's hoping it goes away, or at least can be managed.

Could Hiura be the 1B of the future?

Replace Braun after 2020?

This would make me feel really good had we kept Isan Diaz to be our future 2B.

:(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Couldn't he DH basically all year if needed and get the surgery in the offseason? That way he can still develop as a hitter for a year. If I'm not mistaken the time to recover from Tommy John is much less for a position player than a pitcher. Gleyber Torres had Tommy John in late June and was 100% by February of this year (not sure if he was ready any sooner).

That's a possibility, and yes position player recovery from TJ normally is a bit quicker. I would think if that winds up being the solution to his arm troubles, Hiura should DH through the 1st half of the minor league season to at least get a decent # of ABs - perhaps get some games up in Biloxi at AA, then opt for surgery around the same time Torres did so he's hopefully full go for Spring Training 2019. That being said, they would've done essentially the same thing last year after he signed but the MRI indicated there wasn't structural damage that required the surgery. I'm still hopeful a little rest after a long spring training for Hiura compared to his limited throwing workload over the past 1.5 years is all that's necessary as he regains armstrength.

Hiura at 1st would be a huge disappointment and reduce his potential value as a middle infielder with an impact bat. They should exhaust all chances of him sticking at 2nd, including surgery/lengthy rehab to get his arm right (if necessary), before moving him around the diamond at other positions.

As noted in the past couple of Link Reports, Hiura hasn’t played since Sunday. Below is a screenshot of the game summary from his last at-bat in the second game of a doubleheader on Sunday. It notes “injury delay”, but doesn’t offer any other specifics. Hiura was the DH and his spot in the order didn’t come up again in this 7-inning game, so it is hard to say if he was “pulled” from the game. If anyone has any additional information please feel free to share.

Edit: I went back and watched this at-bat and there wasn’t any injury delay whatsoever as far as I can tell. Hiura did walk off the field lightly swinging his left arm and moving his fingers a bit, but with no obvious discomfort. He had been hit by a pitch to the shoulder in the first game. Anyway, the mystery continues.

Hggodcj.jpg

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

1m1 minute ago

More Adam McCalvy Retweeted Matt Dawson

Hit in the shoulder by a pitch during a doubleheader on Sunday, and it tightened up on him. Expected back at DH for the Mudcats tonight, per Tom Flanagan, who said the elbow remains "unchanged." They think he'll be fine with some more time off from throwing.

3 for 5 Thursday Night, good sign!

Well the hitting has never been a concern. I can't believe his elbow is that big of a deal for as well as he's hitting. Being that it's his top hand, if he was in major pain or had significant damage I would think that would zap all the power out of his swing.

Well the hitting has never been a concern. I can't believe his elbow is that big of a deal for as well as he's hitting. Being that it's his top hand, if he was in major pain or had significant damage I would think that would zap all the power out of his swing.

My understanding is that—like golf—the power comes from the left hand, side, and hip rotation. The right hand is along for the ride

My understanding is that—like golf—the power comes from the left hand, side, and hip rotation. The right hand is along for the ride

With golf you have gravity helping drive the club down to the ground. Also the ball is stationary. A baseball and bat are traveling in opposite directions and whichever object has more force at impact will determine which way both will go. Without a strong top hand the ball can actually reverse the direction of the bat. I shake my head when I watch the Little League World Series. When they show replays of swings you'll see on almost every squared up hit the bat actually goes backwards at contact because the kids are so weak. But the bats are so juiced up that everyone hits homeruns. That does not happen with a wood bat. Try hitting a baseball with a wood bat and use only your bottom hand. Then use both hands and see the incredible difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Has there been any news as to when hiura is supposed to resume playing 2b or any other position on the field where the brewers' major league team can eventually use him? Has he been throwing at all over this past month?

If not, then it appears more and more likely that regardless of his hitting hiura's development towards being a major league player has basically been put on hold since he started dh-ing his final year in college. Sure he can light up low level minor league pitching, but he is getting zero time becoming a viable defensive 2nd baseman. Something has to give - no question he can hit but if he can't play the field due to nagging arm issues this has been a wasted year or so since hiura was drafted.

Verified Member
Getting that arm warmed up for a June call up I see!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Hiura's in the field tonight!

Great news. Now just pray he doesn't leave the game early.

I wouldn't be concerned with an early leave. He might not be ready for a full game at 2B yet (like how guys are rotated out early in spring training). Just rather any move be the choice of the team/ player than due to soreness. aggravation of injury..

Getting that arm warmed up for a June call up I see!

I'm not sure he's not capable offensively of being better right now that what they have not named Nate Orf. As Del Crandall said when he announced 18 year old Robin Yount would start the 1974 season as his starting shortstop: "Well we looked around at what we had in Arizona, and he was the best of them all". Yount was less than a year out of high school and his only pro experience was in the rookie NY/Penn league.

Hiura's now played 2b in back to back games - getting pulled in the 6th 1st night and after the 7th last night...seems like they've got a plan to progressively keep in the game defensively a bit longer until he's back to playing 9 innings nightly there. That's a really good thing.

If his bat is still producing and he's playing everyday at 2nd by the end of the Carolina league's 1st half, I can see him moving up to Biloxi this summer and having a legit shot at Milwaukee in 2019

Archived