Brewer Fanatic

Anderson's call

BillMilton
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy to me that I logged on tonight and found this thread front and center. I had just gotten home from work and had a short break before I needed to meet my wife for dinner. Decided to turn on the radio feed instead of the MLB TV feed...

It was 8th inning and the comeback was just starting. Uecker literally had me jumping around in the kitchen with excitement in both innings. When I met my wife for dinner the first thing I talked about was how amazing it was that an 85 year old man can still bring that kind of energy and fun to the game.

I don’t watch a lot of other teams games but I listen to a decent amount while I’m doing stuff around the house because I like the cadence of baseball as a background noise. Most of the other announcers are terrible.

I hope that we have the privilege of listening to Ueck when he’s 90.

I agree with Son of Doug.

I was at the game last night, so didn't have the pleasure of hearing the call live. But man did he nail it. Listening to the replay on 620 on the ride home... the man is a time machine. I felt I was once again a 6 year old kid riding home from the game with my grandfather and dad (who would have been about the age I am now).

The man is a treasure.

This is why Uecker is still here. I love BA and his call was great as well, but when something big happens I'm always on the lookout for Uecker's call first. I'll look past his issues for every last sound bite we can squeeze out of him.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I could listen to Uecker’s home run calls all day and get goosebumps every time. His home run calls for Yelich and Braun last night were one of the best. Uecker is a treasure and will always be the heart and soul of Brewers baseball.

I could listen to Uecker’s home run calls all day and get goosebumps every time. His home run calls for Yelich and Braun last night were one of the best. Uecker is a treasure and will always be the heart and soul of Brewers baseball.

Meh, they were "all right" I'd MUCH prefer to hear Michael Kay and his witty nicknames and home run calls.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wish there was a cd compilation of Eucker stories you could buy. I would listen to that for hours on end.

I don't know if this perfectly fits your wish, but Pat Hughes did a series of CDs on Baseball Voices, and there's one for Uecker:

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Uecker-Mr-Baseball-Voices/dp/B00SSQ5WQ0

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I wish there was a cd compilation of Eucker stories you could buy. I would listen to that for hours on end.

I don't know if this perfectly fits your wish, but Pat Hughes did a series of CDs on Baseball Voices, and there's one for Uecker:

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Uecker-Mr-Baseball-Voices/dp/B00SSQ5WQ0

I see they have an MP3 version. I will definitely give it a look. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Verified Member
I am sorry but is it just me or does BA seem to have more time off than usual?

I would guess that he has been getting many offers from larger markets and has negotiated his way to more time off. I like him and LePay, so it's fine by me.

I have no problem with BA getting days off or doing national games. He's the best pxp guy they've had they've had as far as I'm concerned.

Additionally, the dude is a hustler. He calls games all year long. Give the guy a break that he's not calling 155+ games for the Crew.

Yeah BA is fantastic, I think we are very lucky to have him for as many games as we do. There's a reason he's becoming a top option for playoff baseball and basketball. He might become the guy that calls the NCAA finals very soon.

I never minded Lepay, but I agree he's significantly improved. I wouldn't mind getting someone other than Rock on occasion. I've heard all his lines 1000 times over at this point. Yes, I know that getting hit by the ball...immediately after is the best it's gonna feel all night. Yes, I know you should put 0-2 pitches in the dirt or way up out of the zone.

Back to the point, BA is fantastic.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t like listening to LePay. He has kind of a halting, sing songy rhythm when he talks that irritates me.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I like him, but he misses a lot for our usual guy. This year is like school with rotating teachers and subs... the normals, LePay, Cushon, Augie, FS1, Facebook too.

Also, any time the game gets long, his tone reminds me that he wants the game to end, regardless of score. Obvious. He should be the guy that wants the game to go four hours, if anyone would.

My guess is that he would rather have the Brewers lose in 2 and a half hours than have them win in 4 hours.

Anderson loves the Brewers...to say he would want them to lose if the game ended sooner is complete garbage and not true.

I’m not sure about his tone as the game goes on...because honestly I don’t pay attention to that stuff, but questioning his fandom is pretty low.

Not really the Brewers fault they get stuck on FS1 and Facebook often. That’s just how the dice rolls.

Where? How do guys listen? Or watch?

Internet?

I listen to WTMJ in north central IL (LaSalle) thru an old-school GE superadio 2. I bought it bout 25 yrs ago cuz my regular radio would not P/U TMJ clearly. And i really liked any baseball broadcast, period. Sum old dude i worked with told me 2 try the superadio. P/u tmj fantastic. Listen to ueker & hughes. I was hooked. Brought me to the dark side of the force!! Still have that superadio to this day. Thing will also p/u wlw for Reds games where i live too.

T-rain.

I've said this before but I wish all sports would just have the option to have just crowd noise. I don't need to hear announcers. They don't tell me anything I don't know by just watching the game.

I'm probably the biggest BA hater here but this is getting a little ridiculous. He's basically a half-time announcer for the Brewers now. Good for him that he's able to get all these gigs and the Brewers let him do it but maybe it's time to move on and give some new guy a chance who will be committed at least 90% of the season.

Archived