Brewer Fanatic

2018-03-31: Brewers (Suter) at Padres (Perdomo) 7:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-3]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is textbook Hader usage, coming in to face the heart of the order, probably go 2 innings and get the game into the late innings. This is how we should be using him.

Throwing more sliders today than usual. Hosmer looked silly when he came back with that 96 mph fastball.

Sogard is at 3.1 fWAR/5.7 bWAR in 1631 PAs. That's 1.1 fWAR/600 PA or 2.1 bWAR/600 PA.

Villar is at 2.3 fWAR/5.4 bWAR in 1779 PAs. That's 0.8 fWAR/600 PA or 1.8 bWAR/600 PA.

Perez is at 0.9 fWAR/2.1 bWAR in 1242 PAs. That's 0.4 fWAR/600 PA or 1.0 bWAR/600 PA.

Quite the fearsome hierarchy. Let's hope Keston is legit, I guess.

So 2 options that are considered pretty solid and one that is above replacement but not great. I think these numbers suggest something other than you are suggesting. I think we should have signed a 2B but these numbers say we were probably fine.

So is Hader being used because Hosmer is up or because he is not enough of a veteran to pitch later in the game?

I was surprised myself but no problem with it. Thinking with the day off tomorrow they may be looking for 2 innings from him, then they can go Albers, Barnes or Jeffress in the 8th before Knebel. Good options.

Vlad Guerrero?

Without looking it up, I'm going to guess that Vlad didn't walk NEARLY enough to even sniff a .400 OBP.

Ok, he had a career .379 OBP, high water mark of 84 walks in one season. That actually surprised me.

It is surprising, his high batting average helped. From 2000-2007 he had 5087 PA with a .328/.399/.584 line

If they were considering Hader for the rotation at some point this year but were concerned about his innings, keeping him in this role where he pitches a couple innings every few days would do the trick......just a thought.....

Archived