Brewer Fanatic

2018-03-31: Brewers (Suter) at Padres (Perdomo) 7:40 PM CDT [Brewers win, 7-3]

TooLiveBrew
I don't think anyone is going to end up mad at what we have up for Yelich. And I'm ok if Brinson ends up good.

It isn’t whether Brinson is really good or not...it’s when he gets there. If he is a huge sensation this year or as early as next then the trade can look pretty bad for us. If he never becomes special or takes years it’s way different.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think anyone is going to end up mad at what we have up for Yelich. And I'm ok if Brinson ends up good.

It isn’t whether Brinson is really good or not...it’s when he gets there. If he is a huge sensation this year or as early as next thentrade can look pretty bad for us. If he never becomes special or takes years it’s way different.

If Yelich is an All-Star, it doesn't really matter what Brinson does. Sure, it's nice to fleece another team from a fan's perspective, but the best trades are those that benefit both teams.

Seems odd to use Aguilar for the pitcher instead of for Thames here

Why?

I was thinking you could use him for Thames and leave him for defense, assuming we never want Thames to face a lefty and seems like they are trying to rest Braun totally tonight. Could have used Pina to hit for the pitcher

Aguilar can PH for the pitcher and shift to 1B for defense after the inning. It is done all the time. Who he pinch hits for doesn’t matter for his defensive placement the next inning.

Rest Pina too, if we can get Braun and Pina regular rest, and still win ballgames, I'm cool with that.

I feel like just 1 PH AB and then exit the game counts as rest for Pina, whereas with Braun any time on the field he could pull something and be out a month

Diaz and Monte are the ones that killed me... I knew Brinson was gone, the other two I was hoping to hang onto.

Diaz doesn't bother me much because I prefer Hiura. So one was expendable in trade.

Harrison, it sucks because he's got great upside, but he's got a reasonably high bust risk as well. Lutz could end up being the next great OF prospect in the system, or Clark or Ray if they ever get it together.

Still a lot of breakout potential in the OF on the farm.

It was always going to take a lot. I was glad it didn't take any 'real' pitching prospects (sorry Jordan).

My mind is a little rusty but how often was Aguilar brought in as a defensive replacement for Thames? I know it happened some but I also figured that might've had something to do with Thames just needing any time off they could give him with his bad legs.

Anyways, looks like Thames is staying in the game.

Aguilar can PH for the pitcher and shift to 1B for defense after the inning. It is done all the time.

Yes but then Thames faces a lefty, which he actually did well so oops

Pina could have hit for Thames then. The order of the two doesn’t matter.

I gotta say I know our bullpen has the upside to be really great but I'm baffled by how often national pundits/broadcasters talk about how we have one of the best bullpens in baseball. Jeffress/Albers/Barnes could all be great this year but it wouldn't surprise me much if all had average or subpar years too.

Counsell doesn't usually pinch hit the other catcher, especially early in the game when he doesn't have to. Particularly when our emergency catcher has already pinch hit in the game. Pina would be the last guy off the bench today at this point.

I’m moving this game and I’m loving this game thread.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Counsell doesn't usually pinch hit the other catcher, especially early in the game when he doesn't have to. Particularly when our emergency catcher has already pinch hit in the game. Pina would be the last guy off the bench today at this point.

I don't think any manager does, but I think it is worth the very small risk that several things that happen rarely (extra inning game, catcher is injured so badly they need to leave the game) all occur in the same game

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I gotta say I know our bullpen has the upside to be really great but I'm baffled by how often national pundits/broadcasters talk about how we have one of the best bullpens in baseball. Jeffress/Albers/Barnes could all be great this year but it wouldn't surprise me much if all had average or subpar years too.

They aren't looking beyond Hader and Knebel. Those two profile as studs, and they don't look any deeper. Perhaps they also see Albers's numbers from last year, which lends credibility to the idea.

They aren't looking beyond Hader and Knebel. Those two profile as studs, and they don't look any deeper. Perhaps they also see Albers's numbers from last year, which lends credibility to the idea.

They specifically mentioned not only Albers but Barnes and Jeffress too. I don't get it either but let's see what happens. I like that guys like Williams, Houser and Lopez are not far away.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I feel like Counsell actually pinch hits the backup catcher far more than any other Brewers manager I can remember. But yeah still not a go-to move.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Archived