Brewer Fanatic

2018-03-30: Brewers (Chacín) at Padres (Lucchesi) 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-6]

TooLiveBrew

Lineups to be added after they become available.

Happy day after Opening Day! Let's go get another W! 162-0, here we come!

AjUdUQa_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

MILWAUKEE BREWERS (1-0)

[pre]CF Lorenzo Cain ®

LF Christian Yelich (L)

1B Ryan Braun ®

3B Travis Shaw (L)

RF Domingo Santana ®

C Manny Piña ®

2B Hernán Pérez ®

SS Orlando Arcia ®

P Jhoulys Chacín ®[/pre]

SAN DIEGO PADRES (0-1)

[pre]CF Manuel Margot ®

RF Wil Myers ®

1B Eric Hosmer (L)

LF Jose Pirela ®

2B Carlos Asuaje (L)

SS Freddy Galvis (S)

3B Cory Spangenberg (L)

C Austin Hedges ®

P Joey Lucchesi (L)[/pre]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucchesi is making his MLB debut as the starter. Last year we were 1-2 vs starting pitchers making their MLB debut.

Antonio Senzatela 4-6-2017 COL 2 MIL 1

Sal Romano 4-16-2017 MIL 4 CIN 2

Dietrich Enns 8-10-2017 MIN 7 MIL 2

The only other time we have faced a Padre SP making his MLB debut was Cesar Carrillo in this game from 2009, Crew won 12-9 on a Braun HR and 2 bombs from Prince and Mike Rivera each.

Good read from FanGraphs on the Pads' rookie southpaw Lucchesi. He might be particularly difficult to face on the first time seeing him.

We considered him a No. 4 starter who was pretty likely to realize that outcome relatively soon. His stuff is generic. He sits 89-92, will touch 94, both of his breaking balls are average, and his changeup is slightly above.

What makes Lucchesi unique are his cartoonish on-mound mannerisms, many of which aid his effectiveness. He has a drop-and-drive delivery and extreme overhand arm slot, two opposing forces which create an odd initial look for hitters and cause Lucchesi’s fastball plane to be very flat, which is especially effective when he works up in the zone. Typically, pitchers with this sort of arm slot have a difficult time working east and west within the strike zone, but Lucchesi is athletic enough to maintain his delivery while making subtle variations. It allows him to do things like attack right-handed hitters in on the hands with his fastball. He also has a deep, downward-plunging stab as he loads his arm.

The flat-planed fastball works well in concert with the changeup, and both of Lucchesi’s breaking balls play up against lefties because of his delivery’s deception. In a vacuum, he’s a 45 fastball, 50 curve, 50 slider, 50 changeup guy with potential plus command. With the mechanical funk thrown in, though, everything plays up a half-grade or so. Fold into that Lucchesi’s ability to control the run game with a great pick-off move and timing variations from the stretch, and you’ve got a big-league ready, 24-year-old arm despite relatively little upper-level experience. I think he can compete at the big-league level right now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here is another scouting report for LHP Joey Lucchesi, this one is from Baseball America.

Lucchesi led all of Division I in strikeouts as a senior in 2016 at Southeast Missouri State and signed with the Padres for $100,000 as a fourth-round pick. The funky 6’5” lefty dominated both high Class A and Double-A in his first full season, leading the organization in ERA (2.20) and finishing second in strikeouts (148).

Lucchesi has a potent mix of deception and stuff. His unique windup features multiple stops and starts, unconventional hand positioning, a high leg kick and a slight turn to hide the ball. While hitters are simply trying to find the ball or time him up, he delivers the ball over the top and throws three above-average pitches for strikes. HIs fastball works 90-94 mph and is a swing-and-miss pitch with its location and downhill angle. HIs above-average 77-80 mph curveball features a hard, late drop and his 80-82 mph changeup looks like a.breaking ball out of his hand before staying straight and drawing foolish swings. Lucchesi is athletic enough to repeat his complicated delivery, resulting in above-average command and control and a lot of called strikes. He is confident and self-assured on the mound. He also has one of the nastier pickoff moves in the minors.

Lucchesi‘s No. 4 starter projection is a safe on he may surpass. Triple-A El Paso awaits in 2018.

I agree with Too Live Brew, this is the type of pitcher I could see having some nice success early on while he is a relative unknown. The “nasty pickoff move” has me intrigued, hopefully someone gives Villar a heads-up.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Interesting that, like Burnes, he was drafted in the 4th round in 2016 and steamrolled the competition in A+ and AA last year. Unlike Burnes, Lucchesi has the benefit of being on a team not ready yet to compete, so he's getting his opportunity a little bit sooner than Burnes.

Apart from that, kinda seems like there's not many similarities in terms of pitching style, and was Lucchesi a senior draft pick? He's a year older than Burnes. Is it strange that two 4th round pitchers would've advanced so quickly through the minors while being so dominant? They both have a minor league ERA under 2.

No Villar. But Perez's lack of baserunning skills have already been on display.

Going to jerk the second base position all around and not let anyone get comfortable there. I’m sure we will see Sogard tomorrow.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

San Diego is such a pathetic team. Why in the world did they waste $140M on Hosemer? For what possible purpose did they want him?

They were doing such a good job in their rebuild. It's such a pointless signing at such a non-premium position for such an average player. It almost makes me think ownership said go spend some money on a "name" player for fan interest.

No Villar. But Perez's lack of baserunning skills have already been on display.

Going to jerk the second base position all around and not let anyone get comfortable there. I’m sure we will see Sogard tomorrow.

When you have 3 crappy options what difference does it make really?

San Diego is such a pathetic team. Why in the world did they waste $140M on Hosemer? For what possible purpose did they want him?

They were doing such a good job in their rebuild. It's such a pointless signing at such a non-premium position for such an average player. It almost makes me think ownership said go spend some money on a "name" player for fan interest.

I think that is exactly what that was. Who buys tickets to see Hosmer?

Maybe the goal was win 72 games instead of 71?

I think that is exactly what that was. Who buys tickets to see Hosmer?

Maybe the goal was win 72 games instead of 71?

No I think they really liked him for some reason. They were connected to him as soon as the offseason began and ultimately signed him for about what was expected despite not really competing with any other team. And if they wanted to sign a "name" player there were plenty of "name-ier" options that would have cost less years and money.

ONE GAME IN I KNOW. But glad not to see Villar. I'd be really surprised if he goes on to have a good year. Looked like same approach yesterday as all last year.

He had the same approach when he had a very good 2016. I just hope 1 of the 3 breaks out even a little bit to solidify the spot, we'll see I guess.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cain kept a rollin'
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Was Yelich a QB at some point in his life?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived