Brewer Fanatic

2018-03-29: OPENING DAY! Brewers (Anderson) at Padres (Richard) 3:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 2-1]

hawing

@Louisely

"

Been saying it since he was in AA. He's nowhere near as bad as some on this board would have you believe. 3.88 FIP last year - not bad at all."

Idc, about advanced stats. I seen how many games he blew last year. Did you think during the games he blew or put us out of reach to comeback, man he lost the game for us, but his FIP was great!!! It's called an eye test he sucked alot last year..

Ending this Convo, he has good stuff..actually great when on. He was good today.

Btw, I never said to cut him.

Nice strawman too

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just glad to have Brewers baseball back!

Long off season, but here we are, at the beginning of yet another season!

Life is good!

Agreed, look forward to hearing how bad of a fan I am for being a realist and pointing out facts. I think the advanced stats cramming has ruined some people's common sense. Gonna be fun year though.

First day back here in awhile, feels exactly like twitter expected better.

GO BREWCREW

It’s almost like you want to fight with people. :rolleyes

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Also, they were so awful in extra inning games last year, nice to see them take a step in the right direction there.

How many 2 out 2 strike hits did we get yesterday? Last season we couldn't do that to save our souls.

Idc, about advanced stats. I seen how many games he blew last year. Did you think during the games he blew or put us out of reach to comeback, man he lost the game for us, but his FIP was great!!! It's called an eye test he sucked alot last year..

Advanced stats like FIP have far more predictive power than a few bad games. Basing assessments of a player on just a few highly visible games is what some of the worst franchises in all of sports do. For example, do you know how many times the Bucks have overpaid some total scrub because he had a few good games against them, or because he had a few good games in the playoffs? How many teams have overpaid a backup qb after he has a few lucky huge games when a starter was hurt? It has almost no predictive power, whereas FIP has a lot.

It's not even really the eye test. The eye test would be observing that even though he had some bad outings last year, Barnes has two really good pitches that should play extremely well out of the pen. The eye test would say that he is capable of being just as dominant as Knebel, Jeffress, and Axford with just a slight improvement in command, which is something that often gets better than age. What you're talking about is neither the eye test nor advanced stats, both of which have solid predictive power, but rather selective memory. Data sets as small as the handful of times Barnes was bad in crucial situations are practically irrelevant in comparison to advanced stats combined with more objective, disciplined scouting, but those bad games make a lasting impression because of the emotional reaction they elicit.

Also, they were so awful in extra inning games last year, nice to see them take a step in the right direction there.

How many 2 out 2 strike hits did we get yesterday? Last season we couldn't do that to save our souls.

That was definitely key. An even bigger takeaway for me is the depth in the pen. The Brewers were good in close games but bad in extra inning games last year. I don't think that was a fluke. Before Hader and Swarzak, they had very few reliable relievers and the pen went belly-up after the 9th or 10th. Drake, Barnes, and Torres, not necessarily in that order, were their 3rd, 4th, and 5th option in the pen, and the rest had no business sniffing an MLB roster. Now Drake and Barnes are the last 2 options. That's huge. Their #2 guy for much of the year was Hughes. He would be one of the worst pitchers in the pen this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Agreed, look forward to hearing how bad of a fan I am for being a realist and pointing out facts. I think the advanced stats cramming has ruined some people's common sense. Gonna be fun year though.

GO BREWCREW

It is possible to be a "realist" as you say, and still not be condescending and bait people into arguments.

Archived