Brewer Fanatic

Your 2018 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements soon. The formal announcement will come directly from the Sky Sox, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Opening Night is Thursday 4/5!

NOTE: Last season, the affiliates released their rosters on Tuesday AM, just two days prior)

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

Often we learn via farmhand tweets, who has been assigned where, prior to the formal affiliate announcements. We'll link to any of those posts in this thread as they come out.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2018" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

Please don't speculate here at this time, this is an anxious time for many on the farm, and unfortunately we're also likely going to learn about more player releases in the next few days, in addition to those players excited about their assignments.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Timber Rattlers got a preliminary roster from the Brewers last Thursday. Subject to change, but it was pretty much what you would expect. The ones that stood out were Harrison and Henry at catcher, Garcia in the infield and Demi returns in the outfield.

The Timber Rattlers got a preliminary roster from the Brewers last Thursday. Subject to change, but it was pretty much what you would expect. The ones that stood out were Harrison and Henry at catcher, Garcia in the infield and Demi returns in the outfield.

got a link, or full list?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Timber Rattlers roster announced.

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers have announced a tentative roster for the 2018 Midwest League season. The Milwaukee Brewers have placed 28 players on this roster. The team will need to be down to the 25-player limit by Thursday when the team opens their schedule with a game against the Beloit Snappers.

Baseball America ranks four players on this tentative roster as Top 30 Prospects in the Brewers system. They rank outfielder Tristan Lutz (11), catchers KJ Harrison (16) and Payton Henry (28), and pitcher Carlos Herrera (26) on their list. MLB Pipeline has placed Lutz (9) and Harrison (21) on their list of Brewers prospects.

Wisconsin has eight members of the 2017 Milwaukee Brewers draft class, including four players from the top ten rounds of the draft: Lutz (Competitive Balance Round A; James W. Martin High School, Arlington, Texas), Harrison (3rd round; Oregon State University), pitcher Bowden Francis (7th round; Chipola (FL) College), and pitcher Alec Bettinger (10th Round; University of Virginia) were all picked in the top ten rounds. The other 2017 draft picks of the Brewers to join the Rattlers this year are: Pitchers Dylan File (21st round, Dixie State College of Utah), Robbie Hitt (24th round, Quinnipiac University), and Christian Taugner (37th round, Brown University) and catcher Brent Diaz (29th round, Louisiana Tech University).

Seven players return to the Fox Cities from the 2017 team: Pitchers Herrera and Rodrigo Benoit; infielders Gilbert Lara and Trever Morrison; and outfielders Zach Clark, Demi Orimoloye, and Joantgel Segovia.

2018 TIMBER RATTLERS:

PITCHERS (14): Rodrigo Benoit, Alec Bettinger, Joaquín De La Cruz, Dylan File, Bowden Francis, Gabe Friese, Matt hardy, Nelson Hernández, Carlos Herrera, Robbie Hitt, Jenri Montas, Braulio Ortiz, Michael Petersen, Christian Taugner

CATCHERS (3): Brent Diaz, KJ Harrison, Payton Henry

INFIELDERS (6): Gabriel García, Gilbert Lara, Franly Mallen, Pat McInerney, Trever Morrison, Nick Roscetti

OUTFIELDERS (5): Zach Clark, Jay Feliciano, Tristen Lutz, Demi Orimoloye, Joantgel Segovia

I was at the opener about 5 years ago. It wasn't meant to be the opener as that game got snowed out, so the one I went to was a double header.

For $10, I got 5-1/2 hours of baseball. :)

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

I was at the opener about 5 years ago. It wasn't meant to be the opener as that game got snowed out, so the one I went to was a double header.

For $10, I got 5-1/2 hours of baseball. :)

That was 2010... The famous Scooter vs the Snowman happened on what was supposed to be opening day...

Yeah, Scooter...

My wife fell in love with him right away there. He's about the same age as my son, except he's not 6'3" like my kid.

Was neat seeing him make it all the way up from there.

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Frosty Microbrew: New, Returning Rattlers Ready for Opening Day

By Kyle Lobner / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "It was the day before the 2018 season and all through the Park....In this edition of the Rattler Radio Podcast Chris Mehring & Kyle Lobner have audio from Timber Rattlers Media Day with Tristen Lutz, Matt Erickson, KJ Harrison, Demi Orimoloye, & Bowden Francis. Also, Kyle gets to ask Chris questions about Minor League Spring Training! Plus, a lot more in the final podcast before the start of the new season!"

NOTE FROM KYLE (Patreon Link): "Even with my new feature story and yesterday's podcast, there was a lot from @TimberRattlers Media Day that I didn't get to share. For my Patreon supporters I have half an hour of Media Day audio featuring Tristen Lutz, KJ Harrison and much more"

Gilbert Lara, who coming into 2018 had 35 career walks in 190 Minor League games, has 4 walks in his first 5 games. Way too early to tell but maybe a sign that he's making some adjustments?

Sure hope so, he was a trainwreck last year in Appleton.

I realize its early and the weather hasn't been the best. That said, the Rattlers are off to a 3-10 start & their team OBP% is @ .290 The Team WHIP for the pitchers 1.65 Neither of those are good numbers. I think this is something worth keeping an eye on.

If this doesn't improve, I would worry that the Brewer rebuild was curtailed prematurely and any window of contending will be shorter than any of us would like.

Does anyone else have any concerns?

I realize its early and the weather hasn't been the best. That said, the Rattlers are off to a 3-10 start & their team OBP% is @ .290 The Team WHIP for the pitchers 1.65 Neither of those are good numbers. I think this is something worth keeping an eye on.

If this doesn't improve, I would worry that the Brewer rebuild was curtailed prematurely and and window of contending will be shorter than any of us would like.

Does anyone else have any concerns?

I've got a feeling the offense rebounds a bit. You've got a few very talented guys really struggling.

That being said, as weird as this is to say, I've been pleasantly surprised by the pitching staff. Look at it this way, at the start of the season, they had one guy who was on any prospect lists, Herrera, and he is clearly not fully stretched out. You also are coming off a draft in which you picked two four-year college pitchers in the first 20 rounds and one of those is out with an injury. The previous year I believe you only signed two high school pitchers and one of them missed the following year with injury and the other has been cut. And the DSL guys on the roster really had a total of one above-average year between them. This truly had the potential to be even worse than it is.

Francis has looked good thus far. If he or even someone like Peterson becomes a solid prospect and Herrera and Pennington pitch well, the Brewers will have emerged ahead of the game, prospect-wise, even if the staff as a whole posts pretty dreadful numbers.

Archived