Brewer Fanatic

RIP Rusty Staub

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Staub seemed like a truly good guy - along with being a good player. I encourage everyone to read the write up on MLB Traderumors.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/rusty-staub-passes-away.html

After he retired, Staub created a foundation to “give children the opportunity to live full, happy and productive lives and to give aid to the hungry.” They've raised millions and built food pantries all over New York.

After 9/11, he established a fund for police and firefighters widows - raising over $110M to date.

As a player, I remember Staub as a consistently good player. He wasn't great - but he was very consistent - solid power, solid hitter, took a ton of walk (he was also a bad outfielder from what I recall). He walked 1255 times in career - and only struck out 888 times.

Staub had a fantastic career. Only guy in major league history with 500 hits for 4 different teams. Think about it. He was a visiting player for his first 3 seasons playing against the Milwaukee Braves. Played his last game in 1985. Made his major league debut 8 days after his 19th birthday. Played his last game at age 41. Was beloved every place he played. Just a true professional. Class. RIP Rusty.

I remember there was a special about the Montreal Expos some time ago (might have been a "30 for 30" on ESPN, but I can't recall for sure). Anyway, the fans there still remembered Staub and were very effusive about him. Seems like he was a great player, both on and off the field.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I remember having his 1983 Topps card and looking at the back in amazement that he started playing in 1963 for a team I had never heard of, the Houston Colt .45s. The numbers were even in a smaller font than most other cards to squeeze in all of those stats - or so it seemed anyway to a 7 year old kid. I loved that card because to me he was a relic from a time when my dad was a boy. Baseball cards...man....what a nostalgic trip.

I seem to recall that he was incredibly slow....to the point that it was a running (pun intended) joke. Anyone else recall that?

In 1978, he had over 700 plate appearances and struck out 35 times. Different era indeed.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I seem to recall that he was incredibly slow....to the point that it was a running (pun intended) joke. Anyone else recall that?

In 1978, he had over 700 plate appearances and struck out 35 times. Different era indeed.

Yes, he was slow. It contributed to making him a bad outfielder.

I looked at his dWAR rating on Baseball-Reference - in 23 seasons he only had a positive dWAR once.

Yes, Staub was an excellent hitter, but not just regular slow. I remember watching a Tigers game on NBC back when, and Detroit’s third baseman, Aurelio Rodriguez, lined a clean single to right .... only to see Staub thrown out advancing to second base.

Perhaps with some wheels, Rusty gets to 3,000 hits.

Archived