Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Left-Handed RP Dan Jennings

Brewer Fever

Just signed, per Hardricourt and Rosenthal...

Ken Rosenthal - Sources: #Brewers in agreement with left-handed reliever Dan Jennings, pending physical. #Rays released Jennings after he failed to make club. @Haudricourt had mentioned MIL was close to adding reliever.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initial speculation from Hardricourt is that Choi will get sent down once Jennings is added...

Well, here is the relief pitcher the #Brewers didn't get signed quickly enough for opening day. Ji-Man Choi's stay definitely will be a short one.

Wut.

I'll be looking forward to see the deal. He's still got some arb time left, from what I am reading.

I like this a lot. He keeps the ball on the ground and is "lethal" against lefties.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Stearns strikes again. Now can Drake already.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why would a guy with his numbers get released?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/rays-to-release-dan-jennings.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

Two reasons:

1. The Rays didn't want to pay him all of 2.37 million during a rebuild year and were able to dump him for 1/4 of the salary. This is similar to what we did with Gallardo.

2. He had a poor strikeout/walk ratio.

Because Tampa Bay isn't fielding a legitimate team this year and is being cheap.

They've got Sergio Romo in there as their setup, that's why.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

He becomes this years Jared Hughes. Late pickup who will be called upon to get us key ground balls in crappy situations.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Stearns strikes again. Now can Drake already.

Yep, DFA Drake to open the 40-man spot for Jennings, and send down Choi for Williams after tomorrow's game. Then make another pen move (Hoover?) when Woodruff moves into the rotation.

Probably, but there's a decent chance Choi lasts longer. With an off day on day 4 of the season, no reason for extra relievers, unless we get a short outing from a starter.

I agree that Jennings should replace Drake.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Gotta be Drake being DFA'd, who else would be a legit contender to be removed?

Only other person I can see if Webb being DFA'd.

Knebel

Hader

Albers

Barnes

Jennings

Jeffress

Woodruff

Then Choi sent down when Brandon moves to rotation and Williams to pen.

Someone would have to be DFA'd to add Hoover to pen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Gotta be Drake being DFA'd, who else would be a legit contender to be removed?

Only other person I can see if Webb being DFA'd

They could throw Nelson on the 60-day DL to open a spot as well. My heart is hoping they don't go that route, and he will be back sooner, but my head is saying that is the likely move.

Funny that earlier this evening, when they published the Opening Day roster on their Twitter feed, bullpen coach Lee Tunnell was listed as #58 when he's been #43 for a while. I'm a dork about following Brewers uniform numbers, so that caught my attention (no idea why I actually looked at the coaches list). Copying-and-pasting from the coaches roster right now still on Brewers.com:

43 Lee Tunnell Bullpen Coach

I looked up Dan Jennings on baseball-reference.com and, sure enough, he's only ever worn #43 in his MLB career. The Brewers obviously knew this was going to happen sooner than anyone let on, not that that should be a surprise.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/rays-to-release-dan-jennings.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

Two reasons:

1. The Rays didn't want to pay him all of 2.37 million during a rebuild year and were able to bump him for 1/4 of the salary. This is similar to what we did with Gallardo.

I still don't get them dumping him if there were no issues. Look at the huge returns relievers have brought. Why not pay him for half a year, not much more than the buyout, and try to flip him for a prospect? Or if he's that good just trade him now rather than cut? Seems off to me, but if Drake is out and this guy is even average, I'm liking it.

Two reasons:

1. The Rays didn't want to pay him all of 2.37 million during a rebuild year and were able to bump him for 1/4 of the salary. This is similar to what we did with Gallardo.

I still don't get them dumping him if there were no issues. Look at the huge returns relievers have brought. Why not pay him for half a year, not much more than the buyout, and try to flip him for a prospect? Or if he's that good just trade him now rather than cut? Seems off to me, but if Drake is out and this guy is even average, I'm liking it.

I was not suggesting I would have dumped him.

But in reading the comments on Marlins forums, the consensus was money plus poor peripherals. A lot of the moves the Marlins make are head scratchers.

I personally love the pickup.

Good pick up for the crew. Now Drake can be sent packing. Bring up Williams and its all good in the hood. Hopefully Drake has no takers and will go to AAA for depth.

Williams isn't quite ready. His command is still too inconsistent. The spot that will be open when Woodruff joins the rotation is long/middle reliever. Hoover's done that job successfully and deserves that spot after an excellent spring.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Good pick up for the crew. Now Drake can be sent packing. Bring up Williams and its all good in the hood. Hopefully Drake has no takers and will go to AAA for depth.

Williams isn't quite ready. His command is still too inconsistent. The spot that will be open when Woodruff joins the rotation is long/middle reliever. Hoover's done that job successfully and deserves that spot after an excellent spring.

You are probably right. Williams is already on the 40-man, though, while Hoover would need to be added. There are guys that can be removed to make that happen, though. I imagine Webb could easily be jettisoned to open a spot. There was no talk of adding him, even though that would have been the logical move when Logan got hurt.

Archived