Brewer Fanatic

Released/designated players who the Brewers could potentially go after

Instead of clicking on 18 different threads about individual guys who didn't make their respective rosters I thought it would be good to keep it in one conversation the next few days. A lot of speculation the Brewers are looking to add (both bullpen and backup C, possibly rotation?) via waiver wire.

I'm especially interested in the backup catcher spot. I feel like we can improve on Bandy.

Any names out there being designated we should be grabbing?

Instead of clicking on 18 different threads about individual guys who didn't make their respective rosters I thought it would be good to keep it in one conversation the next few days. A lot of speculation the Brewers are looking to add (both bullpen and backup C, possibly rotation?) via waiver wire.

I'm especially interested in the backup catcher spot. I feel like we can improve on Bandy.

Any names out there being designated we should be grabbing?

We just had our fantasy draft last night. The catcher position seems as barron as I ever remember it being. Most MLB starters are mediocre at best, let alone someone who was cut by another team.

Bandy has been fine this spring, and seems to be very popular/respected in the locker room. I suspect they roll with him until Vogt is healthy enough to come back, then we'll see. They wouldn't have DL'd Vogt if they didn't have plans for him being on the roster this season.

I can't wait until Voght comes back and we have three catchers on the roster.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bandy has been fine this spring, and seems to be very popular/respected in the locker room. I suspect they roll with him until Vogt is healthy enough to come back, then we'll see. They wouldn't have DL'd Vogt if they didn't have plans for him being on the roster this season.

LOL, to go along with their 14 1B/corner OFers?

My interpretation could be way off, but my gut when they DL'd Vogt was because he was better than any internal option we had so his 3/4 week delay was worth holding onto.

However if there is a LH hitting catcher out there with a little pop and good defense and some youth - possible to consider his upside to what Vogt offers.

LOL, to go along with their 14 1B/corner OFers?

We just need about 4 mediocre to replacement level guys playing 2nd base and we're all set.....

Cardinals designated Josh Lucas today. An older rookie - age 27. Struck out 68 batters in 60 innings last year at AAA - only 12 walks and a 3.15 ERA. Pretty good for the Pacific Coast League.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=lucas-002jos

Makes me a bit wary that the Cards would let him go - but he in an interesting arm.

I kinda went through the MLB Transaction log and put together a quick list of pitchers who have been DFA'd or released over the past week that the Brewers could potentially go after now that there's word from Stearns that something might be in the works:

Albert Suarez

Matt Dermody

Daniel Hudson

Dan Jennings

Scott Kazmir

Ricky Nolasco

Francisco Rodriguez

Craig Breslow

Jason Motte

Fernando Abad

Dan Jennings has a career 2.90 ERA in 310 career MLB games. Anybody know why the Rays even released him? Can they really not afford his $2.4M contract? He's a lefty and could replace Boone Logan and allow us to basically only use Drake if we have to. Jennings has two more years of control left.

Not sure if it makes sense for the Brewers, but I am interested to see if someone tries to work out a trade (or makes a waiver claim) for recently DFA’d RHP Kyle Zimmer. The odds say his injury history will continue to pile up and he will never reach his potential, BUT if he were to stay healthy he still has the potential to be either a top of the rotation starter or elite bullpen arm. While the odds may be very much against him at this point he is still only 26 years old and an intriguing talent.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Not sure if it makes sense for the Brewers, but I am interested to see if someone tries to work out a trade (or makes a waiver claim) for recently DFA’d RHP Kyle Zimmer. The odds say his injury history will continue to pile up and he will never reach his potential, BUT if he were to stay healthy he still has the potential to be either a top of the rotation starter or elite bullpen arm. While the odds may be very much against him at this point he is still only 26 years old and an intriguing talent.

I'd go for him at AAA.

Not as an MLB'er, but I think former San Francisco OF-Jarrett Parker could be a good add. He was DFA'ed by San Francisco and then released. 29 years old, career .257/.335/.456/.791 in 382 plate appearances in the majors and .274/.368/.503/.871 in 948 plate appearances in AAA. It doesn't appear that there is a major league job for him right now as he is a low salary guy that cleared waivers. Probably would give a nice boost to the AAA club and really wouldn't be that bad of an insurance policy. Brewers look set in the outfield today but it only takes one trade followed by one injury to find that the team could have used one more player.

Not as an MLB'er, but I think former San Francisco OF-Jarrett Parker could be a good add. He was DFA'ed by San Francisco and then released. 29 years old, career .257/.335/.456/.791 in 382 plate appearances in the majors and .274/.368/.503/.871 in 948 plate appearances in AAA. It doesn't appear that there is a major league job for him right now as he is a low salary guy that cleared waivers. Probably would give a nice boost to the AAA club and really wouldn't be that bad of an insurance policy. Brewers look set in the outfield today but it only takes one trade followed by one injury to find that the team could have used one more player.

Really?

Yelich

Cain

Santana

Braun

Perez

Thames

Phillips

Broxton

Wren

Stokes

Also Orf and Franklin in a pinch. If there is one place this organization doesn't need depth, in my opinion, it's OF.

Archived