Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2018 - 19

homer
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wearing my Bucky colored glasses...the officiating here has been bad.

Yes, the officiating sucked but if you can't make free throws you're gonna lose. That is where that game (and others) was lost.

Yep. The Badgers let Indiana win that one. Frustrating.

Painful winning season it has been.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
We are certainly spoiled when a 20+ win season is not fun.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have to admit it's tough going back to the more typical Badger teams after the final four runs. It's like for 2 wonderful years we knew what it was like to be Kentucky or Duke fans. :)

In the 6 game win streak Davison got hot now he is cold and we are struggling, nice to see Pritzl stepping up though, I think he will be starting next season.

They are 331/353 in FT percentage in the NCAA.

That is probably the difference between them being ~20th in the country and 10th.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Free throw shooting is one reason why this team has been hard to watch for me. It is one thing to not be great at it but another to be that bad at it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That is probably the difference between them being ~20th in the country and 10th.

They don't really attempt that many free throws though. They are 307th in free throws per field goal attempt.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They don't really attempt that many free throws though. They are 307th in free throws per field goal attempt.

At least some of that has to be attributed to the fact that we constantly miss the front end of one and ones. It happens at least 2-3 times a game. Regardless of how many they shoot, the fact is that they are HORRIBLE from the FT line. Happ is the biggest problem obviously, but nobody is that good. It almost certainly cost them the Indiana game and probably 1-2 others that I'm blanking on. It's also made a lot of other games closer than they needed to be. It's reached the point where Happ can't even be on the floor the last 5-6 minutes. If it's close, I'm fouling him every time. He's at less than 40% of late - even in a double bonus, worst case you're likely giving up 1 point.

Come tournament time, it's probably going to end their season.

I looks at it where either it's anxiety/heart attack inducing, or a really good season falls a bit short of potential. I think of Favre throwing into triple coverage as an example of the former and some of the years with AROD as the latter. I put this season as closer to seeing the potential and not being happy that the team hasn't seen that potential. We should be happy we've done this well, but it's understandable to see how much more this team could do.

Personally, I blame Happs free throw inability on his name sounding too much like Shaq

Free throw shooting is one reason why this team has been hard to watch for me. It is one thing to not be great at it but another to be that bad at it.

Yes, this group is really poor at free throws. How hard it is to fix this? I never really played the game so I don't know but it almost looks like their form is bad and one would think that could be improved upon during practice.

List of players who have 2000 career points, 1000 career rebounds, 400 career assists:

Oscar Robertson (3 seasons), Larry Bird (3 seasons), Danny Ferry, Stacey Augmon, John Konchar, Ethan Happ.

Add in 200 career steals:

Bird, Augmon, Konchar, Happ (didn't keep track of steals when Robertson played)

Add in 100 career blocks:

Augmon, Happ

If UNLV hadn't made so many Final Fours, Augmon wouldn't be on the list because he had 2011 career points and 1005 career rebounds. Augmon played in 145 games, Happ did it in 134.

If UNLV hadn't made so many Final Fours, Augmon wouldn't be on the list because he had 2011 career points and 2005 career rebounds. Augmon played in 145 games, Happ did it in 134.

You could also say that if Augmon had not played with LJ, Anderson Hunt, and Greg Anthony that he would have scored a lot more.

If UNLV hadn't made so many Final Fours, Augmon wouldn't be on the list because he had 2011 career points and 1005 career rebounds. Augmon played in 145 games, Happ did it in 134.

You could also say that if Augmon had not played with LJ, Anderson Hunt, and Greg Anthony that he would have scored a lot more.

I don't think it would have made a difference in rebounds though.

What an ugly game. We played well enough on the defensive end to win, but shooting under 33% isn't going to beat a high school team let alone Michigan st.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Michigan State is more talented obviously but our offense is just so stale. Maybe Happ graduating helps that? I don’t know.

Archived