Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Basketball Thread 2018 - 19

homer
They should penalize the flopper. If that’s already a rule, call it. I get that its subjective, but it needs policed out of the game. It’s terrible basketball to watch. College is hard to watch these days as it is compared with the heyday. The NBA has an infinitely better product.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. This year I've barely watched college, really have only watched UW and some Marquette here and there. Take MSU, I know they're killing it but frankly I don't know if I can name a player because I think most of their good guys the last few years are gone. IDK maybe Ward is still there.

Granted UW these days is like the worst representation, but it just makes wonder how people actually say they prefer college to NBA. It blows my mind. That ILL game was just awful to watch. The MN/UW game a few weeks ago was worse. It led to me turning down free tickets to UW/Purdue which actually ended up being a fairly up tempo high scoring entertaining game, right in my face. But I've turned down several games this year and really haven't regretted it other than the once.

Plush, yea we're in agreemnet on the charges. That happened in the ILL game, someone tried that on Happ. He fell anticipating a bump that didn't happen. led right to an easy hoop.

The big guy for Illinois' primary move was to just slam into the defender. For a team known for flopping as much as UW is it's shocking they only took one charge off that guy. To me the worst one was him slamming into Happ who stood their with his hands up because he was already in foul trouble. AFter like two slams he just backpedaled and let him go, guy stumbles/travels and they call a foul on Happ.

This is exactly it - if the defender has position, the offensive player has to either go around or go straight up. If the offensive player goes forward in any way, no matter how hard or soft, it should be called. Same with the defender, if the defender goes forward or to either side it should be called.

There needs to be more discretion about some calls, but the rules are pretty clear about the offensive player dropping his shoulder or using his arm. Slamming into the guy like the ILL player did should not be allowed.

• 2 weeks later...
The (relatively) easy part of the schedule is over. Maryland, at Minnesota, at Michigan, Michigan State. We'll find out in the next two weeks if they are a 5 seed or a 9 seed.

They got the first two of that stretch. Split the next two and they are in great shape. Pretty impressive. How they righted the ship after the 1-4 stretch.

There was something enjoyable about watching the Badgers just squeeze the life out of the Gopher offense. There were a couple of possessions where the barn was loud, but it just felt like Minnesota didn't even want to be there at times.

If they defend like they have for the last two or three weeks, they may end up a lot better than I thought. It's still going to depend on making outside shots, but you have to be impressed with the D.

Vintage.

Today just emphasized how terrible Iverson is, which is a shame because he is so athletic. He is useless on offense, unless he gets the ball with a clear path to dunk. So many times today he got a pass under the basket and then either stood there before passing it out or pump faked once allowing the defense to surround him and then putting up a shot that was easily stuffed.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Today just emphasized how terrible Iverson is, which is a shame because he is so athletic. He is useless on offense, unless he gets the ball with a clear path to dunk. So many times today he got a pass under the basket and then either stood there before passing it out or pump faked once allowing the defense to surround him and then putting up a shot that was easily stuffed.

I am not a fan of his game either, it probably wouldn't be so glaring if we didn't already have a guy who can't shoot on the floor in Happ. Too many missed bunnies by the whole team again today but Iverson's early in the second half when he broke open down the middle of the lane was probably the worst. He just throws up so much garbage inside that never has a chance.

Matthews got hot at the end and we couldn't match it, not really a devastating loss but always hate to break a winning streak especially in a game they could have won.

I agree completely. Super athletic. A good kid. Not a very good Big Ten Basketball player. Very disappointed in this lack of development.

Not being able to score in the last couple of minutes of the game last night along with lousy free throw shooting doomed Bucky. It is a shame the best player on the team can't be counted on at the free throw line. This will prevent him from playing at the next level too.

Yes, no shooting is the biggest issue of course. however, ever look at Happ and Reuvers standing next to each other? Happ is listed 6'10 and Nate 6'11. He's a solid 3-4 inches shorter though. Happ always struggles with legit NBA sized bigs with athleticism, saw it with Ward swatting him multiple times last night, it's primarily because he's only 6'7.

He wasn't terrible tonight. Single-handedly responsible for the win. He and Pritzl.

He wasn't terrible tonight. Single-handedly responsible for the win. He and Pritzl.

It’s about time these guys came through.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nice to see the team respond with Happ benched down the stretch, makes me feel better about the team beyond this season. I expect Davison will be the teams star and leading scorer next year but by the time they are seniors Reuvers may pass him, that guy has a ton of potential and gets better all the time.

Who would have bet on Pritzl having a double-digit rebound night?

Granted, I'd like to see his rebound numbers go down due to the team hitting more shots (especially from 3, where the guys have a collective crisis of confidence), but in this conference, I'll take an ugly win over the alternative.

The weird thing about Pritzl that I don't think anyone would've predicted when he came in as that he's been pretty darn solid on the hustle, D, rebounding, type aspects of the game while not at all being the shooter he was supposed to be (in games anyway). Coming in the worry was that he'd only be able to shoot, and be weak at everything else. It's been the opposite.

Officiating has been brutal. They just seem lost with what they’re doing.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived